April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Debby

Why even bother putting this up CNN if your not going to report what the quesiton was he was asked?

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. CJ

Well, Billery you have always been in DENIAL: What kind of CIGARS do you smoke?

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. Patty

Perhaps CNN would have been kind enough to figure out what the original question was and post his full response rather than another biased slant leaving it appearing Clinton is lieing again. CNN, you could easily have posted this at the bottom of the article to help out your readers who wouldn't know where to look.

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. 5Jayne

The Clinton's are just SOOOOOOO desperate to win at any cost. Either of the two of them will say anything. Maybe he was startled by SNIPER FIRE yesterday and MISSPOKE. Can't we get rid of these two?

5. Keith

My respect for Bill Clinton: Post Dec. 24, 2004 earthquake: 100%. Today: 0%. I know of no other person who has so quickly gone from one of my heros to a complete joke.

6. Kari A., New York, NY

I have been trying to figure out why Hillary is so far behind Obama in the polls. I think a major reason is her husband. At this point he is doing her much more harm than good.

7. Greg

The Clintons are pathological liars. Bill is one of the smartest politicians of all time. Now, do you not think that he knows exactly what he's doing here? The Clintons are sleeze, and cannot be trusted.

As for Obama, he's a novice who speaks a lot of fluff. We need someone who has the knowledge and the experience to lead the country - someone who actually has decades of experience working across the aisle to bring about change. Talk is cheap.

MCCAIN 2008

8. Veterans For Obama

Liar!

9. Xavierism

I can't believe people are buying into Oprahama's false hope after the whole "bitter" controversy. Obama said things behind closed secret doors and if it hadn't been for a media source, we wouldn't know known what was said.

Clinton is our best choice and hope for The White House. I'm glad Bill is defending his wife because most of the media is riding on it's campaign darling.

10. Lucy

We need a miracle in PA, send these Hillibillies back to their trailer...Oh Lord!

11. Hope = NOPE

BILL is not running for office, HILLARY is!

The media is so engrossed in everything he does and says – how about looking at the candidates and issues!??

HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT

12. Independent

Seriously? He doesn't remember what he said Monday. Even though there is a tape of him saying it. Or does he just think voters are so stupid that if you deny it they will never figure out what really happened?

Please let this fiasco end soon...

13. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

WE HAVE BEEN PRAYING THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO

LISTEN TO THESE TWO PEOPLES FORKED TONGS

ANY MORE . PA HELP US OUT WE ARE OLD AND CAN'T

TAKE THIS ANY MORE. PLEASE BABY PLEASE.

14. dorothy

Nobody can lie like Bill!

15. Rich

I'm tired of the media games, the media sensationalism – it only gets worse in election years and the information age has given rise to the sensationalism age....what can I do to get noticed.

16. Christina from Las Vegas

I can't believe he said that. I would have to hear it to believe it – I just don"t believe he is that stupid and insensitive....I think his loss of power has affected his judgement. Poor Bill....I feel sorry for him.... Do we really want this guy as First Lady haha

17. Steve in DC

I cant believe people really want this man anywhere near the white house again!

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. Jan

It is really sad when they hound Bill Clinton and turn everything he says around, I wish someone would concentrate on Obama as he is running for President, Not Bill Clinton.

How can Michelle Obama get up in front of a crowd and say she has never
    been proud of America, and the media just lets it slip.

VERY SAD CNN

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Algernon, Los Angeles, CA

"You always follow me around and play these little games." Citing an interview that is on tape and giving him an opportunity to clarify or reiterate what he said – publically and for attribution – is not some "gotcha" game. It is the basic function of a free press in a society that values political discourse and democratic process. Something for which Bill Clinton expresses contempt when he finds his own words being examined.

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  20. Larry

I'm not a Hillary supporter but the best thing she could do to help her campaign is to sew Bill's mouth shut.

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. Obama will be President

This is why we need to have CHANGE. Politics as usual is nauseating. NO MORE LIES.

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. Jeff, Boston MA

He's like the crazy grandfather. Every week he gets a little crazier and crazier. All the while, you stay just a few extra feet away, just in case he takes a swing.

I do not want this sexual predator in the WH, nor do I want her there.

It is actually sad that we cannot come up with better candidates!

April 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Carl

We need a change? I agree... but you Obama supporters PLEASE tell me how Obama will change everything. I really want to hear what you have to say on this issue.

April 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  24. no2clinton, cambridge, MA

mis...spoke...again...spun...out...of...control...leave...poor...Bill...alone...pleeeaaazzz..he's...not...well

April 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. A. Harrison

Good Going Bill. The media is out of control, and not being policed.

April 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |