April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Ross in MD

That guy is hillarious.

I...DID NOT...HAVE RELATIONS...WITH THAT WORD....RACE!

2. mary, colorado springs

Bill Clinton must be getting senile when he says things and then denies saying them. Sounds like a replay from the Impeachment Days, when he asked to define what "is" is. I used to have great admiration for the Clintons but no more. When they were on top, they were all smiles and benevolence. Now that they have stiff competition by Sen Obama, they have stooped to the gutter-level politics, and it does not speak well of a former President and First Lady. Their true colors are coming out and will bury them.

3. Obama 08

Bill please save your Legacy, you WERE one of the good guys. What's happened?

4. Amber

Whoooo hoooo....GO BILL! We still love you man....we just love your wife even more!

HILLARY 2008

5. Kim

Look at the picture closely... Bill's nose is growing! Stop lying while you are ahead Billyboy!!

6. White Middle-Aged Female in PA for Obama

The more desperate the Clintons become, the more they reveal their true colors. Some of us want something better for ourselves and our country. Some of us want to lift ourselves up, not get down in the gutter with the Clintons. Those of us who are sick of the politics of destruction, who refuse to play Washington's insider games, and who refuse to pander to special interests and prey upon people's fears will be casting our vote for Sen. Obama today.

7. Curtis

Bill Clinton is no different now than he was during his campaign and presidency. Those who are surprised by his memory loss and lack of ethics should be ashamed.

8. What Is

What IS the meaning of IS anyway? What a joke this guy is.

9. please don't worry

If people put as much energy into their own sex life as they do Bill Clintons they would probably be a lot happier. Bless their little jealous hearts.

10. Sam, NC

So apparently the recorded quote was not factual, or does Bill suffer from the same inaccuracies of Hillary? I dunno about you, but it scares me to think what will come out of Billary... if I misspeak I may upset some people, as president if Hillary misspeaks then who knows where we are heading. PLEASE PA.... get the vile Billary out of the Dem race.

11. JRay

Once again a Clinton MisRemembers what they said and won't own up to it.

12. miller

clinton, go home

13. Jim

What cry baby and this so-called man was America's President. Thank the good lord I never acknowledged him as our President and I should Hillary make it..............she won't get my acknowledgment either. A pair of common criminals who are pathological liers. How low can you go!!!

14. Hillary vs The Clown

Marcus, you're an idiot. Like Obama isn't playing games?
    Spare me!
    Reporters do play people and bait them foolish Obama supporter. Did you know that or are you as Naive as Barrack?

15. sausage being made

um, so why didn't cnn provide a link to the q and a or at least to a transcript? that's kinda sloppy there cnn. regardless, obama has been playing the race card–whatever the facts of this recent go-round–for months, sometimes in very subtle ways. cnn has been helping. so has msnbc.

16. Andrew

The more he talks, the worse he appears. I'm at the point where I'd vote for another Bush before I voted for another Clinton.

Bill – please remember that your legacy isn't set in stone. We miss the years you were in office, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that we're missing you less and less.

April 22, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

Pill Clinton needs to take his meds. He's such a liar.

18. HSNP

So what? The Obama campaign played the race card. Quite brilliantly, in fact. When you can get something like that over on people as smart as the Clintons you've really done something. Then African-Americans turned their backs on the 2 people who've done more for them than anyone since Martin Luther King, Jr.

A brilliantly deceitful strategy. That sums up the Obama campaign and that's why I'll never vote for him.

19. please help

What has happened Bill Clinton. He is alright? Somebody please help!!!!!!

20. Mad AS HELL

WOW! WOW! That's all I could say about the CLINTON'S- They will do and say anything to get back into the "WHITEHOUSE"--

21. db - tx

I realized something during this primary.

I always liked Hillary and Bill before...
    Then I hated Bill for cheating on Hillary and lying to the country about it. To our faces. But I still liked Hillary.

Gradually I started to forgive Bill and remember that things were good in the 1990s. I was so happy that Hillary was running this time. Obama seems like a good guy but I still am with Hillary.

After this primary though, I think Hillary should dump Bill and find a better man. Bill, you have done your best to RUIN your wife's life and she is SO much better than you. Shut up before you destroy her career forever.

Democrats in 08

22. Marvin Higgins

I have been in this world for over 70 years I follow politics I have never seen the hatred fo a family that I have seen for the clintons including chelsea..Not one reporter said anything about bush when he was lying about the war. Where were the pundits then. I think ithere is a culture some groups come from an enviroment where the man was dominate in the famiyl thats where the hatred for clinton comes from.Obama cant win the presidency. I am a black man born in the south I have the facts on my side if anybody is interested I state why upon request.

23. Hillary

I think Bill Clinton is losing it. Lie after Lie will do it to you. He can't even aknowledge what he said last night. If people in Pennsilvania are a bunch of idiots they will vote for hillary today.

24. sss

Irrelevant. Hillary will win in PA. I'm in Philly at the moment, and I've seen people come out for her all morning. Hillary all the way!

25. WesternKid

No truthiness in the Clintons! Do voters really want Bill as "First Man" in the White House? Time to end the Bush/Clinton dynasties in the White House.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22