April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. B.Mendheim

At the time I thought the impeachment was outrageous, though I thought him a wanna-'-be-Republican bum and sexual predator.

Now I think 'Too bad the Senate didn't find him guilty after he was impeached. Gore would have become president and our entire history would have been different, probably for the better.

Gore would have taken care of the business he was elected to; instead, we got more of the pathological Clinton-Republican drama

Now we see what both Hillary and Bill are about: Themselves.

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. WonderingAImlessly

Any one other than Clinton in '08, please!

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Honest AmericanVoter

So, let me get this right. There is verifiable evidence that former President Clinton made this comment, yet he won't own up to it. This just adds to the list of many stray comments/mis-statements that both he and Senator Clinton have made throughout this campaign. It seems as though they dismiss them as if it never happened and then expect the voters to be brain washed into believing them regardless of the obvious–it's apparently working. UNBELIEVABLE!!

How is it that the many people that are supporting and voting for this TAG TEAM don't see that this is insulting the intelligence of the American people...All to get ahead in this high school contest that this primary has turned into. I for one have not and will not be duked. They had my support once but no more – their true colors are shining so brightly that it's blinding.

People wake up and notice that this not a high school contest or a football game. This is the future of our country! Do you really want it in the hands of this team with this level of integrity and honesty??????

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Eric

Bill Clinton tickles me!!!!

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Independent voter PA

Ha Ha

I love Bill and I always will

Jessica
    Black voter PA

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I hope that you play the whole tape in your news report including his so call off camera remarks (expletives and all). These people think that this is a game. It is mine and so many others reality. Right now he is trivialising a serious issue. Come on. We need a new type of politics.

April 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Joe

Quote from article: "Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card."

Let's see that memo, Bill. Put your money where your mouth is.

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Obama vs Clinton

I think he's going senile

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. India in Ohio

Okay bill YOU have knowledge of a memo from the Obama campaign? Same shtuff different day right? When will the bitterness on the part of the Clintons end. I know she was suppose to be our first Woman President but then that pesky Obama comes along and spoils it for her. Suck it up sister and go out with a little dignity. You too Bill.

Obama 08

Pelosi 0???

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. Danielle, TX

Why are my comments always "awaiting moderation" and never getting posted?

I'll try again: The former president is UNBELIEVABLE!! I heard the interview and he DID, in fact, say that Obama was playing the race card. Wow!!!

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

Pill Clinton= controversial and divisive... just like Hillary's campaign. Good riddins.

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Stephanie, PA

Looks like crazy Uncle Bill has come down from the attic again!

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Lou

Msnbc just had both videos of this on. The first one shows clinton telling reporters he didn't say that and they are just trying to 'get him' on a manufactured story. The second one shows that he really said it word for word. I think Bill lost some brain cells when he had that health problem a couple years ago. I'm not trying to be funny...he just doesn't seem like the same guy he was back in his day.

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Clintons ... like a flag in the wind ...

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. Bill

Bill's attacks always seem to take place on Election Day. Despite the rhetoric, Unless Hillary can pull 100% of the vote in Pennsylvania and 100% of the delegates, her $10 million dollar campaign deficit, lack of ideas, constant negative attacks, and out of touch commentary by Ex President Bill Clinton, will mark the end of the light at the end of 2008’s tunnel. With over one million people reaching into their own pockets to support Senator Obama’s bid for the Presidency, America’s want and need for change, and America’s need to recover from Bush’s looting of the treasury, corruption of the nation, and waging illegal and unnecessary wars, Obama’s change train is just what the doctor ordered. Besides, Obama is the only candidate to offer to return Habeas Corpus to the American People.

Play us some Saxaphone Mr. Ex-President.

: )

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. ready for some action

IDIOT!!!!

April 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Mark, Vancouver, WA

Why is Bill still talking???

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Peter

This guy gets more pathetic every day. Everything he accomplished in the 90's has gone down the drain.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Dennis

Bill, I respected you as a President. You were vastly superior to the two Bushes that preceded and followed you.

However, are you serious? You said that Obama camp played the race card on you last night. Do you seriously not remember that?

Let's put Hillary aside for a moment. Its nonsense like this that is causing Democrats to lose respect for you.

If you didn't want to answer the question, again, you should have just said that you stuck by your statement from the previous night and moved on.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  20. Jae-NY

The only thing that would make this story any funnier is if he reffered to himself in the 3rd person:

"Bill chooses not to play your games today" said the former U.S. President.

Folks we need to keep this guy as far away from Pennsylvania avenue as possible.

Obama '08

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Working Stiff

It's telling that JOHN EDWARDS has not endorsed Clinton, especially after her announcement a few weeks back that she would make defeating poverty a keystone of her administration. Look for JOHN EDWARDS to remain silent or endorse Obama.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Typical White Woman and former Clinton Supporter for Obama

To think I used to defend this guy. I still want to like him, but he's making it so difficult. If you actually want to help your wife, Bill, keep your mouth shut. Hillary's own backpedaling, doubletalk and hypocrisy are bad enough, she doesn't need yours too.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. chad

lol on the ticker about his comments on the radio shows that he did say the obama campaign is playing the race card on him.bill goofed
    obama 08

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. Henri D. Kahn

The media, all types, in our country and elsewhere, is guilty of convenient, yellow journalism and reporting.
    Not all of the time, just 60% to 75% of the time!
    Consequently, whether its Bill, Hilary,Barack, John or the man on the street the media overstates, understates, or fabricates in a spirit of sensationalism to make a $$buck.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. ShannonL

Why is the "non-biased" CNN going negative on the Clintons today? Hmm..maybe because Penn is voting???

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |