April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. JRay

The only game Bill Clinton has been good at lately is how to screw up a legacy in less than one year. I beleive Parker Brothers will be make a home version in November.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Obama Express

What a fitting picture!!! Bill's nose grows longer by the hour!!!

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. Robert

They have audio of Bill's comments on the Huffington Post. He did say what was reported and his memory of the Jesse Jackson comments he made are a whole lot different than the one I saw on TV.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. KATHY1

What a loon.

April 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. Colie Brice

I listened to the uf actual interview and Bill DID makew those remarks about the race card..

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. Shelli

Keep diggin the hole deeper and deeper and deeper....until you and Hillary both fall in....

OBAMA 08 & 12

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. JFD

Don't believe the Obama hype. Hillary 2008

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Nisha

Al-

How did the reporter misinterpret what Clinton said and use it to get him in to trouble? The Reporter stayed on the facts and issues and he used his exact words. Clinton has no one to blame but himself. Now I see why they say Clintons supporters are uneducated...wow

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  9. D Jessup

Lets be fair Obama has played the race card and his supporters play the hate card. Obama and his supporters do not know what hope means.

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. madalynn

You tell em' Bill! GO Hilary!!! He still is great, so hard for everyone to admit that, this power couple will succeed! .

HILARY 2008-

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. carrie

i dont know,but i dont think bill is telling so many lies on purpose.
    i just think he is crazy,like his wife
    they cant help themselves

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Ticker

Bill is aging quickly. He is showing his anger just like an other old man.

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. Susan / PA

Here we go again.....Clintons say it.......then....I didnt say that......

Give us a break.......pretty bad this whole 6 weeks campaigning in PA, all the news broadcasts always report where Billary is and Chelsey are, along with where Hillary is....is this 3 against one??

Obviously it is...and Obama has shown he can keep right up..

I voted OBAMA in PA today!!!!!!!

please post this comment......

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Fed up

LOL!!! Is anyone taking him serious any more? I pray to God that whatever the outcome today..........we have a candidate. The past 6 weeks have been a circus; both candidates did more harm than good and to continue on the same path the democratic party is on now would be detrimental.

And I will say this........I can't speak for people who live in small towns but I live in Chicago and I am very much bitter!!! Gas is $3.95 a gallon, a dozen of eggs is almost $6, I have had to change universities because of a sharp decrease in financial aid. There definitely needs to be a change. And I am leary that an individual who has let her campaign go 10 million dollars in debt can bring about that change. But either demcratic candidate should be better than whatever foolishness McCain has in mind for this country. But if I had to vote based off the past 6 weeks...........I'd be looking to live in another country!

April 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. Bitter

Al Monroe,

You can't misinterpret what the Clintons say. It changes too fast.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. Jim, Illinois

Let's face it the Clinton's are right and we are just twisting the words

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  17. Jessica

Oh I see, so when Bill Clinton misspeaks, or his words are "twisted," all is forgiven. But when Obama does it, you Hillbots act like its a cardinal sin. How hypocritical, just like Hill.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  18. Obama '08 NC

Well, I have just about had enough of this whole mess. The Dems. need to give the nominee to Obama and Hillary Clinton needs to go back to NY and do some work. Which Bill Clinton will go quietly in the night.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. Andrew

Under the veneer of the Clintons there is a cynical willingness to use anything including racism to win. In this case Clinton is revealing a narcissistic, entitled attitude which burns anyone who dares to question him.
    The time for the Clinton's old school tired game playing has past but it will not go quietly into the night. 2 months ago I predicted that Hillary would "burn down the house" before she gave up. Here is what that looks like.
    In terms of Bill, maybe finally we see him as he is. In love with himself and unable to stand that Barack has got the mojo. I hope PA voters will show the Clintons the door but if not, the spasm of destruction will continue. And Barack will still win.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. jonny

I have always disliked politics, but this election is starting to make me physically ill. The way politics is played needs a drastic overhaul (for elections, and for day to day business). Fortunately, there is one candidate who wants to attempt this. Unfortunately, it is hard to play nice when everyone else plays really dirty. And the ones who play dirty usually win (sports, politics, life).

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Terry

I'd wished this had happen two days earlier..It might've had a bigger effect on the outcome today!

Old bill is not as slick as he used to be...or is he. This could be his way to gin up the white vote..to counterbalance the black vote Obama will get. Still, kinda dispicable. You expect more from a former president.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  22. Lee WV

those sound like elitist and out of touch remarks to me.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  23. Tony, Mocksville, NC

Way to go Bill.

April 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. Lori

Sounds like Bill is "bitter"!!!!

April 22, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  25. Madana

I wonder how many people who voted for Hillary would vote for Barack now if they hasd a chance to redo their vote. Hillary has no chance of winning against McCain – with this tactics of leading by instilling fear and take no prisioners.
    I thank god for sending someone with some brains and integrity to us. I think that Barack and Brown (England) have a good chance of undoing some of the damage that the good old boys did to OUR world and OUR brothers and sisters around the world.
    Holding my breath, Fl