April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. C. Hankins LV,NV

Go Dems! Obama or Hillary out with the Red!

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Sallie Mae

LIES, NEGATIVITY & AMNESIA! THE CLINTONS ARE JUST PATHETIC!

OBAMA '08

Pennsylvanians for Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. JT

So what was the question that was asked?? What was his answer??

Come on do some reporting. Now I have to go to Google to find out this information?

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. carrie

billy darling,
    you need to be in an old folks home.
    u said it urself that hillary is old and forgets sometimes
    she needs u for company.

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  5. Ads

liar liar........

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Jerry Tsai

Bill Clinton must have been sleep-deprived and "misspoke".

Again.

When it comes to saying one thing and believing another, the Clintons take the cake! Don't be fooled, America!

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  7. mama for obama St Paul MN

Oh boy now he is goint to say that the internet and the media "are playing the card on him,"
    he has no shame
    he and hillary,
    it is so disgrateful, i dont know what else to say, and CNN is so infatuated with teh billarys that they follow them around..

we know bill is all what he says he is not, their true colors have shown finally ................

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  8. cg

Sounds like that Reporters is a Obama supporter.

Go Hillary!

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. Jeff

Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if Bill is losing it. His tempermental outbursts, his whining, his contradictions. I'm actually starting to feel concerned about him.
    Regardless, I am a fifty year old, college educated white Texan, and feel Obama is the best choice.

April 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. Linda

Too late Bill, they have you on tape. How does it feels?????

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. ***AMERICAN***

SPIN SPIN SPIN. It is what he does best. So define "is".

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Erin

CNN, let it go! There's enough other stuff to focus on!

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. jimmy vekmen

BILL CLINTON HAS BEEN A TARGET OF THE MEDIA FROM DAY ONE. HE IS A TWO TERM PRESIDEDNT OF THE UNITED STATES.
    SURVIVED AN IMPEACHMENT PROCEEDING AGAINST HIM. AND IS A FAVORITE ON THE SPEAKING TOURS. IF SOME OF YOU DETRACTORS COULD HAVE ACCOMPLISHED A TENTH AS MUCH AS BILL CLINTON, PERHAPSYOU CAN HAVE YOUR PICTURE ON SOME NEWSPAPERS BACKPAGES.

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. For the love of this independent

Queston: Why is Hillary Losing the Campaign?

Answer: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

This is Hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I can not stop laughing.

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  15. Tony Z- MD

What happened to this man?

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. saraJ

Election fraud in PA? the machienes are broken and papers ballots did not have Obamas name on it apparently. anyone hear about this?

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. Pat Va

I think Bill has lost it. I listened to that interview and that was indeed one of the first things out of his mouth...that Senator Obama had played the race card. I sense senility taking its course!!!

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Teresa W. of Newport Bch, CA

Oh no you didn't say that Bill. You are lying about your own lie. Wow, you purposely tried to start more controversial issue from a Clinton lie.

Go Away. Stay out of the Campaign. You are not running for president.

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. Bitter

You know Bill, it's like "define is" and "I did not have sex with that woman".

You and Hillary are now free to run for President and 1st Lady (don't care which is which) of Bosnia.

Don't go away mad, just go away!

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Staci

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

April 22, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Eric

I was too young and not interested in politics when he was a president. Could someone tell me if he was such a lunatic when he ran office?

Pretty good to have one statement on top of the other on the same page. Gives you an idea how much he's losing it.

April 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. Former Clinton Supporter

YOU SAID IT BILL!!
    Gee is Bill avoiding the 'Media' C'on Bill we know you said it its all over the news!
    Like really Bill I think you did more than 'inhaled'

THIS is exactly what the voters dont need more 'Mis-Spoke' (LIES)!
    The Clintons are destructive ~ they are destroying the party, they have destroyed their legacy, they have destroyed their campaign and they have destroyed the trust of the American people!

April 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  23. The Austrian

Jeez, even when the recorded proof is there, he can't own up to it. What a fool. The Clinton's will do EVERYTHING to steal this election.

April 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Kal

Liar, liar, pants on fire. You said during a telephone interview on WHYY and you said it to WHYY’s Susan Phillips. Shame on you Bill, you have lost my respect.

April 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. your breath stinks

Bill not again. You must want your wife to lose, good so do I.

April 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |