April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Rick in Florida

AND HE CLAIMS THERE'S A MEMO SAYING OBAMA HAS ALWAYS PLANNED TO PLAY THE RACE CARD AGAINST THE CLINTONS. WELL, WILL SOMEONE MAKE HIM PROVE IT?? OBVIOUSLY HE CAN'T AND WILL DODGE AND EVADE AGAIN. AMORAL FAMILY TO THE EXTREME. SAVE US PENNSYLVANIA!!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. kgw

Ticker: Bill Clinton says Obama played race card

Why is CNN leading with a lie? Clinton did not say this, yet you are reporting that he did.

Why are you lying CNN? Why?

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. Bessie

Voters, don't be distracted by these serial Hillary bashers. All they are promoting is hatred. We've known Hillary for years cause she's been in the public eye, and there will be no surprises. Hillary is a figher and she will fight for us. She is a candidate with solutions to help fix our economy, our country. Elizabeth Edwards recently spoke out and praised Hillary's Universal Health Care Plan. Hillary CAN and WILL deliver. Vote for HILLARY!

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Southern White Male

Float the idea and when someone calls you on it "deny, deny, deny." It's an old tactic. The Clinton's are desperate.

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. YOU NEED TO KNOW

By Denying it, is that the same as just flat out telling a bold face LIE?

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Fed up with Bill's ego

Bill Clinton, you are an idiot..and to think I actually voted for you..

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. Noprty

Like his wife, he is so accustomed to lying that it's second nature for him. I can't believe what an idiot devoted-follower of the Clintons I was only a few months ago. NO MORE!

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Mabel

Yes carry the real story, that the male dominated Obama media wants to twist and spin anything against Hillary Clinton. It's the "there's a girl in the club house" syndrome. I really thought better of our country, even India has had a woman leader.

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. annie

How many lies do Bill and Hillary need to tell before the people finally sit up and take notice. We seem to have lapses in memory when it comes to them. Hillary supporters, please go back a few years in time, in fact look it up if your memory doesn't serve you correctly, and look at all the dishonesty that plagued the white house when the Clintons were in there!!!!!!!! They lie soooooooo much that even they believe there telling the truth, even when they get caught red handed!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. ObamaSPPRTER

President Clinton,
    I always thought of VERY highly of you, but since this election started I have been actually quite disappointed. I was a Clinton supporter, but no longer.

Obama '08.

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. John, Brooklyn, NY

Sounds like the Clintons are so off-message that they are starting to fall apart.

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. karen from va

Guess Bill forgot to wear his helmet today.

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Al Monroe

Reporter's always misinterpreted what Clinton say to get him
    on to trouble. Reporter should stay on the facts and issue not
    misleading words. Clinton will win Penn stata. Go Clinton.

-AL

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. Phill Edou

Wow Why the former president is dominating the headlines. Is he running for president? Why the hell can t he stay in the shadow and let his wife campaign quietly . I do believe that the man is an ego!!!
    Have your say PA.

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. Marcus

My god, Bill is out of control!
    What a despicable display of poor character.

April 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. C from the D

I really used to like Bill Clinton but man he's making himself look like a donkey's rear. Oh, by the way, Obama will lose PA but not by very much, both camps will claim victory, and this will drag on until they force the super delegates to choose. Obama will win, he's the right choice anyway, so why not end it already?? If you think the primary is doing damage, watch what would happen if the popular vote and the pledged delgate vote is overturned. I doubt you'd have 15 black voters actually vote in the general election and Hill would lose ina landslide.

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. Who's Game Does Bill Want To Play

So the reporter is supposed to play Bill's games? Is that it, the game of duping the American people, using scare tactics in ads, lying under oath to the American people, using minorities for photo opts to pretend they're inclusive. That game? The same game the Republicans have been playing for years. That game?

We need a CHANGE-Obama 08

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. CW in DC

Dear God, if you have any mercy on me, let this primary end. PLEASE!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  19. I am who I am

Please CNN post this, you have not posted my comments for over one month now:

DEAR FOLLOW BLOGGER, I WILL LIKE TO START A BET/WAGER HERE.

I BET THAT THE CLINTONS WILL BE DIVORCED AS SOON AS HILLARY LOOSES THE NOMINATION.

PLEASE ALL THOSE IN FAVOR OF THEIR DIVORCE SAY AY!! AND ALL THOSE WHO THINK OTHERWISE SAY NAY!! AND WE WOULD KEEP COUNTS!!

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  20. Mr. C.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Billy Boy all of a sudden had AMNESIA... Now why would you get someone like this back in the white House with a Lieing Hillary Clinton of a Wife. This is why Presidency is not for Old folks. The extent which their memory is able to recollect things is very dissatisfying. I think they have to write an amendment saying if you are over the age of 55, you cannot be president.

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. Sam

What's this Bill Clinton having senior moments, just like his wife they both talk out of both side of their mouth.

Liar, Liar sniper fire!!!!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. Danielle

I don't blame him for "not playing" the media's games. The media has been biased against Hillary from the start, and blindly supportive of Obama.

Who can blame Bill for not wanting to play into more of that?

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. M Paul

This primary is about who has more delegates not about who is winning Big States that democrats always carry. Hillary, show me the number of delegates. When calling other States: "small" and saying that they don't count, isn't that disrespecting the voters? Why campaigning in WY, VT and Montana if their votes don't count?
    That's why we didn't want them in Virginia. He is going around talking trash like a little boy. If the presidency is more work, where did Bill Clinton find the time to paly around with Monica?

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. Holly

OMG He really has lost his mind !!

We really have to get Hillary out of this race to the White House NOW!!

The Clinton's will distroy this country .

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. Jason

I think if Obama gets the nomination, Bill will be a lot more upset then Hillary. He should relax and let Hillary run her own campaign.

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |