April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Ready

Bill can't remember what he said. Really??

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Randy

CNN, could you please please please engage in some actual reporting on this, by quoting the transcript that the former President is denying?

INTERVIEWER (RE: Jackson comment): “Do you think that was a mistake, and would you do that again?"

CLINTON: "No. I think that they played the race card on me. And we now know, from memos from the campaign and everything, that they planned to do it along.

April 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. JAMES DUCKWORTH

ACTUALLY TO LOOK AT HER SHE WAS BETTER THAN HILLARY

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Oh Bill, Bill...

He wants to wait until tomorrow to play games. Today they have to dupe the American people to elect his wife.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. shirine

Typical Clinton

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. MJE WPG

Bill Clinton denied that's what he said, does that sound fimilar or am I dreaming. Bill and Hillary please just go away forever. You are making a mockery of this whole election process.
    The rest of the world must be wondering what is happening to the USA demoracy process. With the lies after lies after lies we really are the laughing stock of the rest of the world.
    Bill Clinton telling a reporter "if you will be real honest" what does he or any Clinton know agout being honest.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. NewMexicoForObama

CNN what are you doing?!?! Why don't you include the rest of the text?!! That is the best part. He denies saying it then goes on to say it again!!!
    Very insightful. Lying comes too easy for these Clintons.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Jeannie

I love how CNNs titles don't really reflect what the article is about. Shame on you.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. fran

CNN you are now the new TMZ. With all of the issues facing our country, you choose to go back and forth with a former president on what he did and did not say. Stand up and be the network you use to be, one of substance.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. Tim from Orlando

But the story below this one actually quotes what he said!!! What's wrong with these people? Do they choose to insult us by suggesting we're too stupid to remember what they said the day before?

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  11. Peter

When will the Clintons realize that their rhetoric needs to be at least loosely based upon the truth? He is now denying statements he made within the last day? Is he misremembering? Was it late at night?

How is there anyone that still has any patience for these two? Do we really wan't to spend the next eight years talking about what the definition of "is" is, listening to stories about sniper fire at a photo op, or discussing memo's that no one else knows exist?

I am not so naive as to think that other politicians don't distort the facts frequently, but this is pure fabrication. The voter's need to send a message to stop insulting our intelligence.

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Carl

Well I have not read the question or answer, but if the media decided to skew it on purpose by just reading a small part of an answer and nothing more, then I'm amazed people still have jobs reporting.

The facts simply dont' matter anymore in American journalism except for a few people....

April 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. Tired Of Lies

Just another line of excuses and "mis-statements" from the Clinton fiasco...

Americans, remember, THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME either CLINTON has LIED to US...the PEOPLE...

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Enough

I sure hate it when adults can't accept responsibilty for their words and actions.

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Jim

Way to go Bill. Keep camaigning for Hillary. That way Obama will win by even more.

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. OMG

Bill Clinton has gone mental

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Jackson

Wow. Really?

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Addis - Observer

I used to like Bill Clinton before this election... But now ,,, He is not doing well. He is denying his wife's fault and "bossy" nature... May be he is trying to compesate his wife on what he did with that woman.

Obama 08!

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. balthus

WOW! And there are people who actually want this sex-addicted nut job back in the West Wing?

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. Lostfigs

He's right! Even Jesse Jackson said that he "know what was going on" when Obama first responded to this.

Hillary 08

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. DS in SD

It is truly sad what has happened to this man who I, as a Democrat, once admired so much. The whining, self-pitying, attack dog he has become for his wife has tarnished his legacy even more than the Lewinsky scandal in my opinion.

April 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. Gracie

DEAR LORD make this man SHUT UP!!!

I mean Jesus, can Bill Clinton just go somewhere and take up a hobby or go shoot some birds in Scranton, PA where Hillary claimed she used to hunt as a "little girl". Bill, Hillary and Chelsea will use the RACE, GENDER, AGE, ETC. whatever it takes to win. They all will throw each other under the bus if it meant they could win the nomination. That's just their mentality, they are GREEDY for power and status. It's that simple.

I swear, if I hear anymore stories from Hillary herself about when she was... "a little girl"... I think I'll just scream!!

PA please END this madness and let's get on with solving REAL issues facing this country.

April 22, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Sam, Muncie, Ind.

Bill Clinton, Paragon of Honesty.

April 22, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Stacy Clarks, TX

I am truly at a loss of words...what do you say to this

it is such a shame because he was so beloved in the party!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Paul

Good answer President Clinton, the media has been really biased against Senator Clinton.

Hillary will be our President

Today she will be our comeback kid!!!

Hillary – President of The United States of America