April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Penn State

The media is continuing to try and inject race into this election. I'm getting tired of this crap myself and I am an African-American. South Carolina was so long ago so why is the media still trying to bring it up to stir up some controversy. This is really starting to get on everyones nerves and the Obamabots are fueling it.

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. Small Town PA

If I were a different kind of person, I'd probably enjoy watching Bill and HIll self-destruct so publicly and obviously. As it is, it makes me sad.

They were something other than a bad joke once, with real achievements to point to and be proud of. They have no idea (or just don't care) what they are doing to not only their party, but their legacy. Very sad.

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. Grif

ZIP!!! This is Hillary's day, William...............

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. Never

What a loser. The sad part is Dems are about to lose if his wife wins PA.

We will never fully get over the stench of the Clintons.

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. Patrick

Why is honesty and the truth so difficult a concept for President Clinton to grasp? Is it really necessary to lie about something he clearly said just 24 hours ago?

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. ya basta

Enough already! How often can a Clinton "misspeak" before people really start to question their moral character? It's so frustrating.

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Jake T - PA

Liars both of them. His wife also said she would give driver's licenses to illegal aliens, then later denied saying that. His wife also supported NAFTA and then said she didn't. His wife said she was shot at in Bosnai by snipers, then made a big joke out of it after that was proven to be a lie.

What can the Clintons be quoted on?

Don't vote for liars.

April 22, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. WW

Bill Clinton cannot tell the truth. In fact, both Clintons have the same problem. It's sad enough to have Clinton once. No more Clintons!
    Bill and Hillary Clintons are pathological liars. Go away!

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Molly

GO HILLARY !!!
    At least Bill will speak with reporters – not like obama who refused to speak or debate. He can only deliver a prepared speech from the teleprompter. He is so afraid to make a mistake.
    Even with all the millions $$ he has wasted in PA – he will not win – and even if he wins the remaining states he will not have enough to take the nomination. So... now would be the perfect time to
    STEP ASIDE – for the good of the party. OBama is radical and his background is far too questionable to be President.

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. SarahJ

wow Bill.

I can't believe Hillary let him out of the cage today. Stupid choice.

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Boston for OBAMA

What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander. According to the media he thought the microphone was off when his feet were being held to the fire regarding his prior comment involving Jesse Jackson and South Carolina, and used profanity. The Clintons must believe they are elitist and are so far out of touch with those of us who ca read, listen and understand what comes out of their (CLINTONS) mouths. Liars

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Maggie

The media just jumps at the chance to jump on Bill. Where is Michelle Obama? Perhaps she is at an Anti-american church meeting with her children.....

Please...stick to the facts..

Anyone want a waffle? I hear the bidding is now over $100.00.....

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. Joe

Like her Tuzla comment, the problem here is that this statement by Bill is demonstrably false. The transcript, and the recording, from yesterday prove him wrong.

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. Jon, Charlotte NC

another flat-out lie from the Clintons... how can he say he didnt accuse Obama of using the race card when we have him on tape saying that?

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. Patricia

Ok! This guy has completely gone crazy......what's is going on? Maybe early signs of Alzheimer's..............so sad.

April 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. Jennifer

He was right in his statement, but I guess his memory isn't too good(?)

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. jd

What is important is that we get a Dem in the White House, be it Hillary or Barak. The Supreme Court is the real prize of this election. We need to stop tearing our two candidates, either of which would be a million times better than Weathervane McCain.

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. Linda

Cnn will not post this because, cnn is lower than dirt with their "Hillary Bashing." Obama, or Mccain may be "CROWNED KING" but Hillary won the election. King Obama has had the GOP. msnbc, and cnn Bashing her 24 hours a day 7 day a week for months, and she is still fighting. What a Lady, and it is very sad all the old white men are so scared of a real woman. I guess they just want a pretty face with their mouth shut.

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  19. Norma, DC

I never liked him, from day one. All of my friends were swooning over him and sent money to him. Now they know the truth and I never said "I told you so", but I wanted to.

So glad I've never cast a vote for a Clinton, and I don't intend to start.

God was looking out for me.

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  20. Richard, FL

“No, I think that they played the race card on me and we now know from memos from the campaign and everything that they planned to do it all along.”
    - Bill Clinton, yesterday

Asked what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?" Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

"No, no, no, that's not what I said”
    - Bill Clinton, today

Voters of Pennsylvania: think honestly and carefully before you vote.

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. Joe St Louis, MO

HOW CAN ANYONE VOTE FOR THESE LIARS AND IDIOTS

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Alex H

"It depends on what your definition of 'said' is"

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. Danielle, TX

One word: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. Quinn - PA

Voted for Hillary today.

I don't see the press hounding Michele Obama about her comments the way they do Bill. Double standard as usual when it comes to the spouse's of candidates.

It's Hillary or Bust is November!

April 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  25. Tom

Look Bill and Hillary not to be trusted Bill you know that you said that it over for you now, you need to tell Hillary to drop out now

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |