April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Toni

OK, it's official. The man is insane and anyone who still has any faith in him is insane too. I adored Bill Clinton and felt as deeple depressed as anyone that he had clay feet. But come on ... This morning I heard what he said and to stand up and try to lie his way out of it is beyond arrogance. It's just nuts. Both he and his wife are exhibiting some serious faults either in character or psyche. And those who are still supporting them are beginning to look like that final 28% of the country that still support Bush - co-dependants.

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Olivia

I just "lost" my posted response to this article. Not the first time and I'm sure not the last.

I simply wanted to say....GET OFF BILL CLINTON'S BACK!!!

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Debbie in Texas

Whenever I see Bill CLinton's face – I feel disgust. There was a time when no one could tell me anything negative about this man. Now, I feel nothing but disgust for him, I feel wounded. I can't stand to look at him or listen to anything he has to say.

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. noemi in los angeles

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
    Enough said!

Who believes this guy?

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. richard

Your article states it very clearly for those of us who stay informed by keeping up with the news. If a candidate for President really wanted True Change, they would push for each citizen to maximize their abilities and economical independence. Of course, most of Sen. Obama's backing comes from the least experienced with life, naive and/or gullible, and those who think they are above the rest by their mental aptitude (you are to be considered intelligent and bright if you are supporting his candidacy). They are living off of either parental support or loans, vote because their skin color matches his, or we have the so-called top educated who believe they have all the answers to tell others how to live. It only takes someone to work in the academia to see what a caste system it is, based on one's level of education. In other words, if you are not a PhD all other employees are lumped in together and separated from them either by way of benefits, opportunities, etc.

It would be interesting to see how he attempts to change the political process. Is he going to openly denounce all Congressmen, Supreme Court Justices, etc. who do not agree with him? Will they then have to endure what the ABC debate commentators have been exposed to the last few days? It is so ironic to see an individual who speaks of unity and prosperity for all Americans to have created such a divisive line amongst many. They are already bullying Sen. Clinton's supporters who refuse to support him as the presidential candidate as not being true Democrats. One can be a Democrat, and not believe in the individual who is selected by the party to be their candidate. That is called, "Freedom of Choice". Ooops, that might not be around for much longer.... Please post.

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Shirley, Silicon Valley, CA

His denial is just like her Bosnia sniper fire! These Clintons live in their own fantasy land and their reality is separated from the rest of the America!

How can you hold any of the Clintons accountable for anything if there is no tape recorder, video camera and plenty of third-party witnesses surround the Clintons all day long! You can not even get any truth out of Chelsea Clinton nor that general West, the military person who was with Hillary in Bosnia! Those close to the Clintons just want you to go along with WHATEVER the Clintons fabricate!

Clearly, the Clintons are DISHONEST and UNTRUSTWORTHY!

Obama, please no more need to be kind nor gracious! The Clintons are not Democrats. They are out for their own personal agenda! They are already attacking you with everything and anything!

Do everything you can, Obama. Just crush the Clintons and kick them out of the race!

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. me

I think Bill is losing it.

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Both Clintons seem to believe that Americans are too dumb to remember more than about an hour into the past.

April 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  9. wel

Bill – just go away, please!! And take Hillary with you!!!

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Mia

Hillary makes perfect sense until her husband opens his mouth. I am fully prepared to vote for a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket. Then I read Bill's statement and I have second thoughts.

Hillary, please. For the sake of the party–either duct tape his mouth shut, or send him on vacation to some small island in the Carribean that doesn't allow reporters for -oh-the next 7 months.

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. The Truth About The Truth

Dear Truth,

Instead of sending Obama back, let's send you back to the dark-ages. That where you are anyway, the dark.

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Dave

Go back and continue prostituting yourself to special interests, you worthless jerk.

And to think I voted for you – twice!

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. California Voter

Awaiting moderation I'm sure.

Bill may not have said the Obama campaign played the race card, but it is clear to many that Obama's surrogates played the race card for Obama's campaign. They also accused Hillary of playing the race card regarding her comments about President Johnson and MLK. If you are looking for race to be an issue it will be. If you go back and listen to Obama's (both his and Michelle's) stump speeches when he was in South Carolina the race card was surely played among the black voters. P.S. And aren't 85-90 percent of the black voters voting for him because he is black. So for some race is an issue. For some voting for a woman is an issue. For some voting for a Morman is an issue. Hey, at least people have choices here.

GO HILLARY!

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Jay

Well if Obama can play this game "Oh Thats not what I said or meant" then others can to!

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  15. Shannon from Washington

LOL!!!! Those who believe Bill, DESERVE what they get.

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. elana

OMG- he's finally got completely mental.

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. Marc

Another Clinton playing fast and furious with the truth. Sniper fire, Monica Lewinski; they just can't seem to tell the truth.

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  18. Amazed!!!

Wow, is Bill serious??? He should really be checked out for all of these memory lapses...maybe it was 3am and he was just tired & misspoke like Hillary

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. Bob

I will be voting within the hour to make those two go away. No more Bush-like ads and lies.

Obama/Edwards
    or
    Obama/Richardson.

Message to Pittsburgh- Crosby and Malkin don't have experience...they have TALENT.

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. Nakisia Sims

Does he really want Hillary to win PA? This man will not keep his mouth closed. He wants it to be about him, Bill likes hearing other talk about Bill. The main person that likes to to about Bill – is Bill himself. I just wished he would have said these remarks 2 days ago. Then I would not have to stay out all night waiting for the results to came in. Bill and Hillary like to lie and it is about of who they are! They can not help it is in the DNA to lie, cheat, and steal... and then turn around a stay the Obama is through the kitchen sink at her (them) ... you have to always includDoes he really want Hillary to win PA? This man will not keep his mouth closed. He wants it to be about him, Bill likes hearing other talk about Bill. The main person that likes to about Bill – is Bill himself. “He played the race card, because he was told to play that hand – Bill thought that as he role as the first (Black President) that he would be safe and Hillary would not look bad”. It backfired and they both came out looking stupid. Just admit it! I just wished he would have said these remarks 2 days ago. Then I would not have to stay out all night waiting for the results to come in. Bill and Hillary like to lie and it is about of who they are! They cannot help it is in the DNA to lie, cheat, and steal... and then turn around a stay the Obama is through the kitchen sink at her (them) ... you have to always include Bill. Her campaign is becoming more and more about Bill Clinton.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Glenn

Bil, Bill, Bill,

I used to love you...what happened? You're flipping more than a pancake these days!

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  22. Dan

Maybe he misspoke and then misspoke about misspeaking. Who among the Clintons learns from the other?

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  23. rita

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Its time for the Clintons to go away somewhere, and just talk to each other. No one else is believing anything they say. What do we expect, they are both over 60, and it was 11 o'clock at night

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. Phil G. , New York

Is he serious? they have the entire audio of it on Huffingtonpost.com where he accuses them of so and says he has evidence!! LIKE STOP THE POLITICAL GAMES CLINTON CAMPAIGN!! This is not the America we deserve!! Winning at all cost is a Bush and Republican philosophy. And obviously Sen. Clintons' foreign policy experience is not that great especially when you begin threatening countries before you even get into office, especially when we're battling 2 wars we do not need a third!!!

Lets get back to the issues and enough of the distractions or soon we'll see Rove McBush in the White House.

And with that said I would support Sen. Clinton in the general even though i disagree with some of her tactics, if she was to win the nomination, but right now i'm with OBAMA all the WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to unite behind either of them !! PLEASE

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. Nancy

Why do the Clinton's always lie? I'm sick and tired of Obama having to play along with the Clinton's because they use the attack form of campaigning instead of telling us what they believe in. Oh what was I thinking, the Clinton's always LIE! It comes as natural to them as breathing. I can't wait for Obama to win the nomination from his party and finally have the Clinton's in the back seat where they belong. Oh and by the way, I'm a Republican!

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |