April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Texas

Hillary 08!

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. Penn State

CNN comment moderator, I understand that you want the Obama supporters comments to be raised first because they are so full of hate, but will you please post my comment.

April 22nd, 2008 12:57 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

The media is continuing to try and inject race into this election. I'm getting tired of this crap myself and I am an African-American. South Carolina was so long ago so why is the media still trying to bring it up to stir up some controversy. This is really starting to get on everyones nerves and the Obamabots are fueling it.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Butch

Let's see he lied in Arkansas, he lied while President, he's lied since then, why should he stop now. Slick Willy ain't so slick no more......

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. BMR, Pittsburgh PA

"When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

Holy prevarication, Batman. I guess the answer to WJC's question is that it depends on what your definition of "that" is.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. ang

To the truth: Wow...are you kin to Bill Clinton? This article speaks about Bill putting his foot in his mouth- once again- and all you can blog is some foolishness about Obama. Yea!!! you guys must be related. You know you just can't fix stupid.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. no more bill

sad, so sad – Bill is sounding more and more like a nut every day.

Here's a lesson taught to me by my granny that the Clintons should have learned a long time ago – always tell the truth, then you don't have to worry about remembering what you said in order to repeat it.

Here's a lesson taught to me by life that the Clintons would do well to learn quick – never write a check with your mouth that your *ss can't cash.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Margaret

Why is it that none of the cable broadcast shows remember that Jesse Jackson, Jr. played the race card right between Iowa and New Hampshire. It wasn't Bill Clinton, but when he responded to it back then suddenly HE was the one playing it. What total BS.

April 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. Marc rich

The former president had been asked whether his remarks comparing Obama’s strong showing in South Carolina to that of Jesse Jackson in 1988 had been a mistake given their impact on his wife Hillary Clinton’s campaign. “No, I think that they played the race card on me,” said Clinton, “and we now know from memos from the campaign and everything that they planned to do it all along.”

Cogenital Lying is a spousal challenge

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Ron R

"It depends on what your definition of IS is"........Pathetic

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. Roger

Hillary and Bill are like roaches, they're repulsive, keep coming back, and spread filth wherever they go!

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Rob

haha! Does he and his wife enjoy lying? They both do it with ease. Maybe since they've been lying so much they just forget what's true and what's not anymore.

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. Hari

uh, you forgot? is that the best you've got?

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

He plays games every other day, why not today? Bill Clinton is merely a court jester, the only problem is: he ain't funny anymore. There is nothing more pathetic than an ex-president who is "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

April 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. Guy Cameroon

Even if he didn't tell it, he meant it

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. wolfsbane

I wish the Clintons were through with politics, and I regret that I didn't support impeachment. They are both professional liars.

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. Mike

To Heidi and all the other idiots who mention Monica, leave her out of this race.

Get a grip, stick to the issues or don't comment.

Go Hillary!!!!

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. Voter

Well, now I see why Hillary's signature is Healthcare, Bill need's his med's...

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. AJ, Philly

As the famous YouTube with the guy made up to look like Britney Spears crying and pleading,

"LEAVE BILLARY ALONE! LEAVE IT ALONE!"

You can tell Bill is heading towards becoming a senior citizen. At least he is adamantly involved in Hillary's campaign. If not, he would be chasin' skirts somewhere.

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. SP

He's getting old and losing his memory...........McCain at 72 and HRC at 62 are not far behind in memory loss. ....lol

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. Duke

What is up with Bill. He is trying to make the point that he is not racist. Well, I don't think he is racist either, but he did play the race card, there is a difference. Playing the race card is a cold calculation about how to sway majority support in your favor, it has very little to do with being personally racist. Politicians understand that race can still be a wedge issue in the country, so they calculate and decide if there is advantage in using the card. Bill made this calculation in South Carolina, so now we just have to wait and see if it was a good calculation or not or if it had the desired impact or no impact at all.

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. Double Digits or Quit!

Liar, Liar pants on fire!

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. Sharon Minnesota

So much for posterity...

Obama '08

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. Chic

WHAT HE SAY???????????????

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  24. Bob of VT

Let's all just quit listening to this lying SlickWillie character. It's hard to believe that he was ever President of the United States of America. One thing I am sure of, he was too busy having sex with Monica L. in the Oval office to be running the Government...What would he have done if the emergency phone happened to ring while he was right at it? Maybe Hillary was waiting to pick it up for him.

April 22, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Bill, I see you continue to forget. How's MONICA doing?? You know that relationship never stopped, I voted for you–Voting for Hillary would be voting for you-Never again-

April 22, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |