April 22nd, 2008

Clinton camp: 'There's still a long way to go'

Four-year-old Cassandra Savukinas attends a campaign event in Philadelphia.
Four-year-old Cassandra Savukinas attends a campaign event in Philadelphia.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Camp Clinton, buoyed by its Pennsylvania victory, plans to take what worked here and take it on to Indiana and North Carolina.

Spokesman Mo Elleithee held a gaggle with reporters a short time ago. He said that said heading into the May 6 contests, the campaign would continue to push the themes that Hillary Clinton is the most equipped to be commander-in-chief and to lead the economy into recovery. He said the campaign would continue to raise questions about Sen. Barack Obama’s ability to beat Sen. John McCain in the fall.

Elleithee said Obama has built-in advantages in both North Carolina and Indiana, which he dubbed a “battleground.” Indiana’s proximity to Illinois makes him a known entity in much of that state and North Carolina boasts a large African-American population.

“There’s still a long way to go until a nominee is decided,” Elleithee said, noting the campaign feels very good about the upcoming contests in West Virginia, Kentucky and Oregon.

1. Kim

Yay! You Go Girl! Keep on destroying our party and lifting the McBush campaign. Thanks PA. Hillary still will not win but thanks for helping her to destroy our Democrat Party.

April 22, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. Mark Lodes

The road is long, but we will have a woman as President one day in this great nation. Perhaps a woman who is honest will have a chance next time around. Perhaps Obama will choose a strong woman as his running mate. My hope is that the women of this country realize that Hillary is not the right woman for this job. My wife, my mother, and my sisters all told me so.

April 22, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  3. beyonce pride

Hillary is the future Queen of America.... I love her so much... she is the mother I never had. My mom died when I was 2 years old and I always imagined my mom being as strong as her and wise. God Bless America and all those who help make this country the best place inthe world to live.

April 22, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  4. Me

Why does Hilliary pretend that PA is such a big win for her when she knew she was situated to win going into it? But when Obama is situated to win in a place,she tries to play that win down so that she doesn't look like a loser. Too late. She is a loser. (And a liar.)

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  5. Nodak

I think people will start seeing Mr Obama as the super duper...he's been duping everyone since day one.

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  6. Grif

There's a long way to go. But! There is always's a but... Put on you're best Smile... Boy what a Smile... Lift the Heart's, of all those little one's... They need so much more to look forward to than Dreams. Helplessness?????????????????????????????

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  7. Rich

Way to go PA! You may as well vote for McCain and the Republicans! You could have ended this, but instead you make it even easier for McCain.

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  8. Bren

You keep knocking them out, Hillary!

And would you care to comment on Peter Paul and the millions of dollars in the BIGGEST campaign fraud of the entire political process effects you?

How about Mark Penn?

How about the $800,000 you received via your husband's involvement with the Columbia deal?? How would you compare this to the mere words of Reverand Wright in Obama's campaign? Did Reverand Wright bring in $800, 000 due to ABSOLUTELY USE of Barack's campaign???

I won't expect you to answer. I'm sure you're far too busy dodging that sniper fire.

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. YES YES YES

MY NAME SAYS IT ALL. HILLARY YOU ARE AWESOME. YOU ARE BRILLIANT AND YOU ARE THE ONE WE NEED TO LEAD US TO A VICTORY IN NOVEMBER.

YES YES YES

April 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  10. Jim S.

I am a Republican. Card carrying member of the RNC. We win because Democrats are stupid. Who do you think the Republicans are voting for? We get to vote twice to insure a McCain victory. NO Republican will vote for a Clinton in the general election, so since we have our candidate, and no one to vote for, we will throw the primary election to HRC. Only Hillary and the media are stupid enough to believe, that she is making a comeback.

April 22, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Paul

Here's how the delegate math works: Unless she wins by AT LEAST a 12% margin, she will be even farther behind Obama after tonight. In other words, he won.

April 22, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  12. Johnny C.

After Obama insulted me and my folks. No way would I vote for him. If he wins the Dems, then I vote Mccain. At Least, he was a war vet. Obama is a church man who listing to a race hater for twenty years and doesn't know it. Wow what a true leader.

I have to get up early, in my rural small town and go to 1st shift. Go Hillary.......

April 22, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  13. nate

Congratulations to the Hillary supporters on your victory tonite. There is so much we do agree on. Please win gracefully and do not gloat. We promise to do the same (well at least I do) in a few weeks when we are the nominee.

April 22, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  14. Mary, Chicago

I just can't watch CNN anymore. Donna Brazille, please tell me how long you think you can "pretend" that you haven't chosen a candidate ?
    Hillary won and the pundits on this "news" channel can't handle it.
    This country would be better off with her as president...but the MSM is going to everything it can to stop it from happening.

April 22, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. Chad

Richard,
    Degrading young voters is tasteless. We support Obama because he is insightful and intelligent (qualities we used to look for in a president). Most importantly, he does not represent the divisive politics of the past – exemplified by the Bush/Clinton dynasties. Your generation has failed us with the economy, ruined the environment, and dragged us to the bottom of world opinion. The new generation of college students – the 'naive' and 'gullible' as you so banally put it – are the most politically and socially engaged generation this country has ever seen and we need to be to clean up the disgusting mess that the older generations have left us.
    Your reign ends in NC.

April 22, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  16. "Sigh..."

LMAO!!!! "Big" win. I think in honor of her win I will make a donation – to the Obama campaign. She is broke the faucet is drying up all you blue hairs....... take a look at the demographics of the remaining states – goodbye Clintons!!!!!

April 22, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  17. Gabriel

How'd she win?

Ed Rendell said it first, and said it best.

“You’ve got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate,” Rendell told the editorial board of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – FEBRUARY 12, 2008.

“I believe, looking at the returns in my election, that had Lynn Swann been the identical candidate that he was — well-spoken, charismatic, good-looking — but white instead of black, instead of winning by 22 points, I would have won by 17 or so,” he said. “And that (attitude) exists...."

There you have it folks. Way to go, idiots!

April 22, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  18. Peter

Hillary won with support of the Govenor of the state... the same way she won in Ohio.

The negative crap she pulled in both states will not fly in any of the remaining states, because she doesn't have the built in support of the state party apparatus in any remaining state. Her nominal victory in Penn will perhaps be matched by victories in Kentucky and West Virginia, but beyond that she is toast. Obama will win the other 7 primaries easily. He has a 10-20% advantage in national polls. Hillary's support is mostly in the Northeast, and those states are done voting.

April 22, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. TexasBlackTea

Dr. JimmyMac

WTH???? So blacks are racist because they finally have a viable candidate to vote for – and that makes them racist?? You have GOT to be kidding me – so what does that make all the WHITE voters?

Terri – you would give you next check to her – so the rip off has started well before her presidency – LOL!

April 22, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Rob BC,Canada

It looks like her mudslinging and double speak at the last minute stopped the swing at six points.I guess the kitchen sink barely saved her here but not to worry,it wont work outside of her home state.Hey ,Ralph Nader, how about Obama for running mate if "slime politics" win out in this race for the Clintons.I could see a whole lot of people in Obama's camp fitting in with the independents.His followers are about about change and intelligent decisions.Hillary followers just seem to have a "we gotta win" mentality.They will believe the "queen" no matter what kind of clothes she says she is wearing.

April 22, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. CL

Go for it Hillary.

April 22, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. Hal Miami

can CNN find a political guest that is african american at not Pro- Obama? or is there one. Yet Geraldine Ferraro was wrong. So I believe in voting by issues and not race- but does all?

April 22, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. Chris in Va.

She can go straight to Hell which is where she belongs, Pennsylvania Is a God send to Hillary because her brain-dead supporters will now think she is still in the race and will send her money so she can break even with her campaign before she is sent packing, so go ahead, send her your check, she's laughing all the way to the bank, SUCKERS!!!

April 22, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. Grace

The more Hillary campaigns, the less I like her. If she gets the nomination, I vote McCain in November.

April 22, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. Lynn D

CNN: Senator Clinton won! Please stop trying to make this out as less than what it is. She won. Also, exit polls showed that Senator Clinton's supporters will not vote Senator Obama. This should indicate to the powers that be that Senator Obama cannot win in the Fall against John McCain. Senator Clinton can beat Senator Obama in a general election. I believe the Democratic nominee should be the individual who the Democrats feel can win in November. Yes, we do have a long way to go but in the end I really do believe Senator Clinton will be the nominee.

April 22, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |