April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: College grads help Obama in PA

College graduates supported Obama in Pennsylvania's primary Tuesday.
College graduates supported Obama in Pennsylvania's primary Tuesday.

(CNN) - While Clinton has won the state of Pennsylvania, it appears she won't win it by as wide a margin as she did Ohio.

One reason for this appears to be the fact that the Democratic electorate in Pennsylvania includes more college-educated voters - a voting bloc that has reliably supported Obama.

In Ohio, only 38 percent of Democratic voters had a college degree - in Pennsylvania, 46 percent did.

1. kevin

Clinton is down 468,000 votes in primaries according to CNN going into tonights contest. If Clinton wins by 200,000 votes and you add back the 288,000 margin in Florida, she will be ahead in popular votes in the primary states that had both candidates on the ballot.

April 22, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  2. Richard

Its all part of the elite persona that we get to see every so often in a gaffe from Barrack and Michelle that appeals to them. He is them and they are him.

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Think - FL

Man her supporters are stupid. You really think she cares about you, eh? She would drive over her own mother with an Abrams if it would get her in the White House. Two words... Power... Hungry.

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. Blue Collar from PA

Those darn people with an ed-u-ma-cation must think they are smart or somthing. That's why they turn a blind eye to the issues that matter (like flag pins!). Hillary wears her flag pin, thats why shes the best pres-o-dent

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. KAY

NOW WILL SOMEONE BRING UP PAUL V. CLINTON...?? WE ARE ALL DUMBFOUNDED TAHT SHE WON THIS, BUT NOT BY MUCH PEOPLE.. NOT BY MUCH....THIS COUNTRY WILL BE FLUSHED INTO THE PROVERBIAL GUTTER IF IS ELECTED FOR THE POTUS. SHE SLAMMED OBAMA ABOUT OUTSPENDING, AND THEN SHE USED "YES WE CAN"? SHE'S STILL A REPUBLICAN AND THEN TRIED TO PULL OUT A TEAR...

HOWEVER, SMALL CROWD FOR HER AND A HUGE CROWD FOR OBAMA SO LET'S SEE HOW IT IS OVER THERE BEFORE WE LISTEN TO ANYMORE OF HER CRAP.

WE'LL GIVE THIS ONE TO YOU LADY, BUT IT'S NOT OVER YET.....AND BY THE WAY...WHO IS GOING TO PAY YOUR BILLS; WAIT THE FOR COLLECTION LAWSUITS...NOT THINKING ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY AT ALL....GET THAT PENNSYLVANIA....NOT THINKING ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY AT ALL...SO YEAH, SHE GOT YOUR VOTE AND FOLLOWED BY....SEE YOU LATER AND THANK YOU PENNSYLVANIA....I NEED TO MOVE ON AND MAKE MORE MONEY SO I CAN STAY IN THIS AND TRY TO STEAL THE ELECTION FROM ALL THE STATES THAT VOTED FOR OBAMA.....

GOD HELP US ALL

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. JOHN

HE CAN'T ATTACK AN OLD WHITE WOMAN, OBAMA WILL WIN IN AND NC AND HE WILL WIN THE NOMINATION. HE OUT SPENT HE 3 TO 1, BUT WHAT IN THE HELL DO WE EXPECT HIM TO DO WITH THE MONEY HIS SUPPORTERS GIVE HIM. OUT SPEND HER.

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. kentucky

At least now we no how many old and ignorant voters are in PA.

April 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  8. Dean - Colton, CA

People need to look at the CNN 'Delegate' game. If Hillary wins every remaining state by a margin of less than 10%, and she gets 60% of remaining superdelegates, Obama still ends up with enough delegates to win the nomination. This is why the 'pundits' have been saying Hillary needs to win big. Right now, with an 8% win in PA she actually loses ground in the sense that now she will need to win even bigger in the remaining states (at least 12%). It becomes more and more difficult with each primary for Hillary to win. Obviously, what this means is even more interesting campaigning in the coming weeks...

April 22, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. kevin from alaska

I don't want to get drafted to go fight some oil-driven war in a far-off country full of people that I don't hate and that have never done nothing to me.

Obama '08

April 22, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Bill

You Obama supporters are mean and angry – all this from the supporters of Change and Hope? Sort of sad.

Obama has not won an election in a couple of months now. I think the ship has sailed on that deal, sounds more like a cruise on the titanic.

April 22, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  11. John

The winner is a bigger loser.

Now thats a new saying for American politics

April 22, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. Small Town Dan

Hillary Clinton is a liar, she is morally and financially broke and she can only see her personal ambition. Watch as she destroys this party based on her claims of legacy and entitlement. She has risen up bigots, used the republican play book and devided this party in ways that may lasting effects. She cannot lift people up, only tear them down.

Obama will win both NC and Indianna. Hillary will still play her games b/c she sold out to the military industrial complex who fear that Obama is not down with their program to turn people into wage slaves and throw the world in turmoil through war and neo colonization.

April 22, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  13. Chris in Va.

To Benjamin, can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. P.S. your original post came off as elitist there Benny, you'd better work on that our your mom won't tell you who to vote for next time.

April 22, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. Ki-Jana Carter

Of course. The moral of the story is there a LOT of stupid people in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Why else would they vote for Billary?!?!

April 22, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  15. Debbie from NJ

Okay, I'm there. I'm finally one of "them". While I'm watching Hillary tonight I've decided – and as a Democrat, it's been a hard decision – that if she should, by some miracle, make it to the general election, I won't vote for her. I can't. I'll have to vote for McCain. One thing I can say about McCain that I can't say about Hillary – I respect him. Even though I don't share a lot of the same views with him, I can at least say that if I cast my vote my vote for him, I voted for someone who, at least at this point, appears to have scruples and dignity. I'll never be able to say that about Hillary. It's sad to me to say that about a Democrat – someone who's supposed to be representing my party – but that's the way it is.

Like I said, it'll be a miracle if she makes it, but if the stars align for her – well, if not Obama, then it's McCain for me.

One more thing – I think it's sad that people from other countries seem to know what's best for us more than we do.

OBAMA '08 (but if not, it's McCain)

April 22, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  16. Erika

Wait and see. These people who are voting for Obama will be AOL when it comes November. The real Obama is seeping through. Wright, bitter voters, etc. He has no chance of being voted after the republicans swift boat him. Clinton has already been hounded by republicans for years. There's no more dirty laundry for the republicans to use on her. With Obama, there's no telling. She's a survivor, she's strong, she is the only candidate who can stand a chance. It's Hillary or McCain. Take your pick before it's too late.

April 22, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. Hilary supporter

I heard that Obama got 92% of the African-American vote–you college kids can"t take all the credit for his high numbers! Trying to be divisive again? Does that go along with being "educated"–taking credit for everything?

April 22, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. CNN Wrong -- Again

Dear CNN,

Are we watching the same election? It appears to me that you are supporting McCain. You keep attacking Hillary as you fear she will win, knowingly she is the Democrat to beat.

Relax, give it up - she won!

April 22, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  19. Teresa in Florida

I am a Florida voter; Hillary did not win Florida!! As a Democrat she will never get my vote. She has chosen to use fear base negative attacks and there is no way my ethics will allow a vote for her. If we must have McCain so be it! I can live with myself. The Democratic Party should have stopped the Clinton denial madness that was her husband (I did not sleep with that woman) to the lies and the divisiveness that is her campaign. She will never make it-- it’s over.

April 22, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  20. kevin

Going into tonighs contest 148 of Obama's 164 pledged delegate lead was from Caucus states. These Caucuses were dominated by Move On Dot Org types. There disproportional representation makes them Mini-Super delegates.

April 22, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. OR for Obama

I know he doesn't want to play politics as usual, but would like someone...CNN...Surrogates... to bring out her closet. Boy would america be surprised. The Clinton campaign complains that Sen. Obama is playing dirty, but who spends alot of energy trying to find something negative about him, and it always manages to find it's way to the public just about a week before the election. I don't see him doing that.

April 22, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. John

I doubt you folks would ever publish this comment, considering that from my email address you see I don't live in America.

But as part of the international community looking in, its almost comical to now hear you complaining about bush, who you elected TWICE.

Normally these types of complaints come out of dictatorships. But you knowingly elected the guy for 8 years, think you call it the politics of fear?

Yet here you are, almost poised to do it again

If only you could judge yourselves... you too would be bewildered.

March On... Ceasar

March On... Napolean

March On... Bush

March On... Hilary

April 22, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  23. kevin from alaska

Even beyond "college grads" - because what does that really mean? - I think it's telling that people that know the difference say between Sunnis and Shiites and Kurds in Iraq tend to favor Obama over Clinton. It's not just "college grads," it's really that people that are better educated on what's going on around them tend to support Obama over Clinton.

People that vote based on who's taking shots of whiskey tend to favor....

April 22, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. AZM

So in other words... a state with more educated people voted... and Hillary won!

Outstanding!.... Obama = Titanic

April 22, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  25. Kathy

Because the dumb people don't read books, therefore don't know what kind of persons they really vote for. If you have read their biographies, who is more capable to be the next president is clear!

Go Obama!