April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: Gun owners, church goers choose Clinton

Parishioners at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic church in Doylestown, PA.
Parishioners at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic church in Doylestown, PA.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton stressed her gun and church-going credentials following Barack Obama's "bitter" comments, and it appears to have paid off.

According to the exit polls, 58 percent of gun owners voted for Clinton while 42 percent went for Obama.

Among Pennsylvania Democrats who attend church at least once a week, Clinton is beating Obama 59 percent to 41 percent.

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Exit Polls
  1. Bitter, Gun-Toting Christian

I voted for Obama.

April 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. Sara from Arizona

Here is what is going on. Some Republicans are voting for Hillary so Obama can't win, because McCain will have a harder time beating Obama. These same voters will then vote for McCain in November.

April 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. mike,Iowa

Its so nice to see how manipulated voters can be over something as simple as twisted words...

April 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. Keisha Williams, GA

Clinton's over-eagerness to use any opportunity to personally attack Obama may work on the gun-owning, church-going people of Pennsylvania but my only concern are the 'real' issues that are affecting the American people.

April 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. Krystyna from Chicago

OH !!!! OBAMA supporters can't accept , what is going on in Pennsylvania.
    Belive me I voted for the first time in my life, only becouse I don't want to see Obama to be the President d/t several facts, besides that he is realy not ready and not experienced, as well he is not that kind of person, who will do job well !!!! NO !!!!!
    I voted for the first time and I chose HILLARY !!!!!
    Women are more in to hard work and more determinated to reach the point, to make a plan real, not just to speak about it, but to do it !!!!
    HILLARY is the right person for the very responsible position !!!!!
    I wish Her GOOD LUCK and TO WIN THE NOMINATION !!!!!

April 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. noemi in los angeles

Yes, thank you Billary for distorting Obama's "bitter" comments. It is no surprise gun-owning church goers are flocking to vote for you... people set up traps, others fall in to them. This is what you do Mrs Clinton, this is what you have been doing since the 90s... doing even the unthinkable to get what you want most in life... POWER. This is why you were willing to look past Lewinsky and Whitewater to get where you are today. I will not forget Whitewater or all the scandals that surrounded you while First Lady. For people who don't know, ask Clinton about the lawsuit against her... google Peter Paul/Clinton. Look at Hillary the Movie on you tube. God people, open your eyes!

April 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  7. Erin

Wow Sooperdooper,

Bitter much? I am one of those Obama supporters, & I've never heard of EverQuest. (DND, tho, has been around for eons). So, your point is only attributed to one blogger.... you.

April 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. The Austrian

Shame on gun-owners for voting for EITHER of them! Have you lost your minds!?! These characters will send the FBI to your homes, take your guns, and leave you defenseless. The utter audacity of these gun-owners. Sickening.

April 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  9. AWESOME DEBATE HILLARY!!

Hillary It Was An Honor Voting For You !!! . Thank You For Fighting For My Family , My Values , And This Great Counrty . God Bless!

HILLARY 2008"

April 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  10. Onari

Susan,

No one is without sin. Christ came for the sinners and not the righteous. it is sick that need a Doctor.

So Susan, I am challenging you here if you never lied or sinned before...throw the first stone.

Internet is so great, we hide under the hood of the net and crucify people.

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  11. Jason, Texas

wow! she has duped more people... amazing.

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  12. LA Ben

Who cares. She can line up all the gun owners, church goers and uneducated, over 50, female factory workers she wants. All she's doing is staving off the inevitable.

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  13. Scott C

Oh, Viet Nam Vet, it is my duty to VOTE. It is NOT my duty to vote for a democrat only. We have freedom in this country, in case you were unaware, and we can vote for whichever candidate we CHOOSE. This isn't Cuba where you can "vote" for one candidate only. Do not presume to tell the American public they HAVE to vote one side or the other.

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  14. Jane

Poor sheltered, naive, church going, gun owning Pennsylvanians got duped by Hillary again....

OBAMA FOR THE WIN AND THE NOMINATION AND FOR A NEW POSITIVE DIRECTION FOR THE COUNTRY! :-)

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  15. Ashi

Clinton is the best Presidential Candidate.She can bring back the respect we have for America.She will make the world a better Place for all.

April 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  16. Shelley J

I'm a gun owner and I go to church every week.
    no one asked me any exit polls!

I voted for Obama!

April 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  17. JDG

Remarkable. Here we have two individuals (the Clintons) who are nothing more than common criminals and pathological liers and the so-called church-goers vote for her............just remarkable. I know the good lord excuses people for sinning..............but my God, how many times does he have to excuse the Clintons for lying and cheating before the so-called good people realize they are being shamed.

April 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. Patricia

Bayou Joe – you need to lay off the moonshine, its affecting your thinking!

April 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Richard

Seems like church goers and gun owners are sensible people then

April 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. Ross Lovely

The sad thing about these exit polls is that Hillary, out of pure selfishness, ruined the best chance since Jimmy Carter the Democrats had of winning the religious vote. The evangelical community has broadened its voting interests this cycle, Barack was doing well among churchgoers (better than her in previous primaries, as I recall), and he is extremely articulate about issues of faith. Moreover, he is the most openly religious candidate still running. Instead of letting a stupid mis-speak (and a real mis-speak, unlike the Bosnia LIE she told) slide under the rug for the good of the Democratic Party, the country, and the world, she decided to hammer and hammer and hammer him about it. It's a shame.

April 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. ShannonL

To be expected. Obama was exposed last week. If he wins in the nomination, he will be in trouble come November. We love elite people. We hate elitists.

April 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  22. Nazmul Ahsan

Early in the race, even before the first primary, me and my wife discussed and I told her that Hillary seems unauthentic and artificial. It was proven by her flat lies, and lies on top of them to cover them up... there are some who will vote for her for no reason, but reasonable people should not vote for a lier to begin with.

April 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Sue F

Never ceseas to amaze me what people will believe, anyone who believes Billary is a duck huntin, beer drinkin good ol gal is in for a shock! The church goers are voting for her???? Let's see, she lies, her husband lies, then they stand in front of you and say, no it wasn't a lie, even if it's on tape! If she wins it's going to be the same old crap in this country, only a different year! She is one of the politically connected and believe me there are many many big money people who have banked her campaign that will all be standing with their hands out for paybacks. Can you say HALLIBURTON, remember GEORGE and CHENEY and all the graft, illegal corrupt garbage that's went on for eight years? Anyone who believe she's going to change things, I've got a really nice piece of beach front property for you in IDAHO.

April 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. Vince - Phoenix

GUESS BITTER PEOPLE RELATE TO OTHER BITTER PEOPLE...

April 22, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Joe

Who cares? Hillary has lost this race so long ago it's not even funny.
    She is a non-factor. Thank You...

April 22, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |