April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: Gun owners, church goers choose Clinton

Parishioners at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic church in Doylestown, PA.
Parishioners at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic church in Doylestown, PA.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton stressed her gun and church-going credentials following Barack Obama's "bitter" comments, and it appears to have paid off.

According to the exit polls, 58 percent of gun owners voted for Clinton while 42 percent went for Obama.

Among Pennsylvania Democrats who attend church at least once a week, Clinton is beating Obama 59 percent to 41 percent.

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Exit Polls
  1. liz

i'm for hillary all the way if it's not hillary then you won't see me on election day GO HILLARY ALL THE WAY

April 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Jane

Director Michael Moore recently came out and stated that he supports Barack Obama over the "disgusting" Hillary! Another "former friend" of the Clintons abandoning them because of their behavior! That should tell you something!

April 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. AZM

I hope Obama isn't bitter about this?

April 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. It is the duty of every American

TO VOTE THE WAY THEY WANT TO

PERIOD

April 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Penn State

You Obama supporters are getting on our nerves. In the beginning you were trying to court us to vote for Obama, but now that we are going for Clinton, you want to bash us. The same thing will happen in Indiana.

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. Marjon

OBAMA '08 & '12 :)

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. lm, Annapolis, MD

Look , I prefer Clinton, but if she can't win I will work like hell to keep
    McBush from winning in November. Because, if we Democrats don't get our act together, and stand by whoever the nominee is ... then once again, we'll deserve what we get.

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. maria dimitrova

which church does Hilary attend?

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Landuber

Barak was right then, the do cling to guns. Surprise!!!!

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. Eric-Illinois

Church goers voting for a Democrat???? I guess Hillary is the stronger candidate. But no we Democrats will want to put forth one more super Liberal who is perceived as not patriotic,snide and out of touch with the mainstream.....Will we never learn?

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. aware

NOBAMA!

Hillary 2008 and 2012! :)

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. Vladimir Melamed

It takes so little to change a profound political loyalty to a candidate: a remark on what in fact was true can effect the pivotal results. Then this Obama's remark is ultimately true.

April 22, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Newman

Are there that many gun-toting weekly church-goers in Pitt and Philly? I don't think so. In Sticksville, PA yes, but not in Pitt and Philly. You watch, Obama will take Pennsylvania tonight, because he got the majority vote among these two cities, which add up to a majority of Pennsylvania's registered voters. They are also university cities, and young people will come out in droves to vote for Obama!

April 22, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  14. American Veteran

As a Christain and a member of the United States Armed Forces,
    I feel Clinton last minute run the negative fear campaign Ads is just not right.

She needs to run from Sniper fire somewhere.....

April 22, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. Diane

Bill: When you give the results of these exit polls, can you also include the number of people that were polled? 50% of what? 60% of what? It doesn't mean much if the number of people polled is under 100.
    Thank you.

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. texas guy

yeah right, they'll vote for a liar and call themselves church goers!

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. Del

Can some one help me understand why CATHOLICS keep standing behind Hillary Clinton? I wonder if the Pope who recently visited the Nation will have stood behind her without her confessing her sins of LIES. I really want to know why Catholics should be after Clinton. I am a catholic, maybe there is something i am missing out. Please help me!!

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. Femi in minneapolis

Dan, give me a freaking break. Did PA governor not utter the same racial jargon? all these while the AA have voted overwhelmingly for White democrats. Even when those Democrats failed them. At the start of this elections, blacks were heavyly for the Clintons. When the media and Hillary began to paint him as a dubious person, offcourse blacks will come to his rescue! why are you not asking the older white women why they are overwhelmingly voting for Hillary?

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  19. IK

If Hillary wins this nomination......then the democratic party is giving Mc Cain the presidency on a gold platter............The republican party know Obama will be a hard nut to crack................

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  20. shocked

I can't believe what I am reading. Some of the presumably uneducated feel that their opinions matter. Learn how to spell, and how to use grammar properly folks, then I will do my best to read your statements. If you can't make sense, you are just making your candidate look bad.

I prefer ANYONE to the 'Republican't' loser that is in the White House now. Clinton or Obama – either would be an improvement.

April 22, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  21. Deb, IN

Well I guess voters in PA were offened(as they should be) by the pistol packin, bible totin, bigots comments by Obama. I really loved it when he tried to spin the statement..........well I didn't chose my words correctly...................DUH!!!! Basically he would have said it differently had he known he was being tapped.

I love the line from Sweet Home Alabama.........."HONEY, JUST BECAUSE WE TALK SLOW DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE STUPID"!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  22. Phantom6

I would rather stay home from church and read my bible with friends and family rather than attend Obama's racist bigot church. What is wrong with you people.?Obama's a modern day medicine man selling snake oil.
    Seems as if the Hillary haters would vote for the devil rather than switch parties.
    What a bunch of idiots!!!

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  23. Mark

Sue;

What are Hillaries solutions?

I'm waiting.......................

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. Mary - PA

Well I'm not a gun owner but I am an every Sunday church goer and I chose Obama. I'm also a white 45 year old female who graduated high school, no college. From all of your statistics I should be a Hillary supporter. Lucky for me I can think for myself and don't need all you pundits to tell me who I'm supposed to be for.

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  25. Richard

Praise the lord. Jesus has given them great direction.

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |