April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: How did Clinton win?

(CNN) - CNN just called the Pennsylvania primary race for Hillary Clinton. How did she win?

Her clear support from white voters and women. Both groups constituted large majorities in Tuesday's primary, and both voted for Clinton handily.

Whites made up over 80 percent of Pennsylvania Democrats. Clinton bested Obama among those voters by 20 points, 60 to 40 percent.

Women also constituted a clear majority of Pennsylvania primary voters – 56 percent. They voted for Clinton by a 12-point margin, 56 to 44 percent.

Another reason Clinton won? She beat Obama easily among late-deciders. Those voters who decided in the last three days went for the New York senator by a 15-point margin, 57 percent to 42 percent.

1. Kim

Do not buy the Hype. The Hillary monster won PA. because she is from there, Period! Just like Romney won Michigan. It means NOTHING! Do not let Hillary or her media pawns turn this into something important .

April 22, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  2. r coyne

I'm a registered Independent and have been since I was 18. Apparently Rush Limbaugh and His Campaign of Chaos isn't regestering with the best Nes Team Ever? 170,000 Republicians registered as Democrates, I don't believe to vote for Obama. I'm curioous why this isn't being discussed? Can someone please explain tonight on the neews cast as I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this. I hope you are credable enough to discuss this. Thank you

April 22, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  3. Amy

For everyone saying that it spells trouble for Obama that he didn't win big states – he has won big states and will continue to do so – Illinois, Georgia, Virginia, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Carolina (upcoming).

I know Clinton and her advisors like to cherry-pick which big states matter. Clinton has won many of the traditional democratic states like NJ, NY, CA, and MA that will vote Democratic in the Fall no matter which candidate is on the ticket.

I find it more appealing that Obama has managed to win over support in states that have been traditional Republican strong holds like Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming, Missouri and the Dakotas in additional to the deep South.

We are going to need a Democratic candidate in the fall to break into Republican territory – that's how the Democrats will take back the white house.

April 22, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Herman LA, CA

WHO IS THE CLEAR LOSER TONIGHT?

PENNSYLVANIA PENNSYLVANIA PENNSYLVANIA

THEY HAD A CHANCE TO MAKE HISTORY BUT THEY ELECTED NOT TO TURN THE PAGE AND WILL PAY DEARLY FOR IT.

OBAMA 08!!!

April 22, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. stacy m

obama is change
    hillary sucks she is nothing but a liar

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  6. rj

she won because she's conniving, devious, unscrupulous, vindictive and the queen of double standards. she won inspite of the fact that Bill C is doing everything in his power to make her lose while trying to make it seem like he's supporting her. he doesn't want her to be president in the same way the majority of the democrats who already voted don't want her to be president. this country doesn't need a 'fighter' they need someone that can work well with all people and not be divisive and polarizing. nothing will get done with her as the president. the republicans cannot stand the Clintons. they will not work with her at all. it would be so nice if she would consider what she's doing to the democratic party and fade away to spend her millions in retirement. as an independent...it really doesn't bother me if they self destruct., however, i was looking forward to a breath of fresh air and change in the status quo.

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. Sara from Arizona

Clinton gives me the creeps.

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  8. Deborah

She won because she is a liar

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  9. Roger

cnn commentators seem to be having a Hillary love fest tonight? Why is that? Also, why are there Republican Campaign advisers on your panel discussing the Democratic Primary.

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  10. Mary

I am so tired of everyone saying how big PA is as a victory. My family is from PA and it is one of the most racist states in this union! so the fact that a black man cannot win there is not a surprise....what is a surprise is that he came from almost 20 points back to get close...noone is talking about this...they are so busy falling over themselves to pat Hilary on the back they have forgotten that this is just one state and that Obama is still in the lead in all the statistics that matter. If Obama loses this nomination to super delegates...I will not only blame the Clinton campaign...I will blame the obviously biased Clinton supporting media...they really have failed at their job...I will abstain in November and Mccain will take the White House...Congrats Hill and Bill you have destroyed whatever chance we had to take back the White House because your egos could not accept defeat.

Signed, a disgusted Democrat

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  11. Bill Brown

I love how a candidate who was leading six weeks ago in a poll by 15 or more points wins by half that – and no mention is made of the fact she must have LOST support.

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. Bill Clinton blew a ten-point lead in New Hampshire in 1992 and lost by seven, and the media called him 'the Comeback Kid.'

I'm guessing they're on the take again.

April 22, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  12. shailesh

How obama win? In apr 2007 he didnot collect money from certain people or group. How about april 2008 he collected money from officer or exe.of oil company what think u lie and a vote? not sound good.

April 22, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

Hillary is a carpetbagger who has dragged this country through the mud. Why can't people see this? Are they stupid??? I cannot stand this anymore.

April 22, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. M.E.M Kansas city

Gov.Rendell !

April 22, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Me

What is all this talk about big states, little states. Isn't this the United States of America, and are there not 50 of them? So she won 1 state Obama is still winning overall. And if she can overturn numbers by appealing to racial prejudice and lying than America has bigger problems than we thought. Even though I support Obama, I recognize the people have a right to vote for who they support. But just because she want it sooooo bad, Mrs Clinton should not be allowd to try and find ways to justify changing the rules. Who ever wins the most DELAGATES/POPULAR VOTE should be the nominee.

April 22, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. John

If she can't run her own campaign financially How can she run the country

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. bonnie

she won because she is stonger with the economy, and she will be the stonger democrat against mccain. i do listen to the media any more they like to keep things spinning.they have to have some thing to talk about.

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Nanc, MN

Barbara California: Why I'd like to think you have a compelling reason for your multiple posts, I keep coming back to the thought that you might want to check back in with your Doc in the am.

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. Lincoln Hunt

What is so frustrating is that Clinton supporters keep calling themselves "real" democrats. They call Obama supporters idiots.

So, your strategy is to disparage the supporters of the opposing campaign?

Just because you call me stupid doesn't make it so, no matter how many times you cut and paste it into the comments page

If that's the best you've got, you have no chance of winning this nomination.

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. Stick To The Issues

Hillary Clinton didn't win CRAP!!!!

I don't know why CNN didn't report on this earlier. As early as 8am this morning, there were reports on the radio about several voting machines having problems and some polls even being closed in "urban" areas. This was not hearsy, this was confirmed.

There were even several unconfirmed complaints about intimidation pratices (similar to what the Republicans did during Kerry's run) towards Obama reporters.

It's the same old Washington Politics, and no website or news outlet even wants to acknowledge the issues. 2 Months prep time, and you mean to tell me polls wern't functioning?????

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. one of a generation of steel workers

Hil has paid no more "dues " than I have to be president & I'm not a politician . The dues she's paid is to an unfaithful husband who vows to"give" her the presidency for standing by her man thru his many,many affairs. But you know what Bill you are not God & it's not yours to give. So pls go practice your next batch of lies & hate. You reall deserve one another. It's a pity that you still get such a small margin even when yiou sell your soul. The good news is that you each give yhe Obama campaign more opprtunities to prove stamina & that it's not a fairy tale. It gives us more energy !! Thanks !!!

April 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Bruce

Clinton

464,351

55%

41%reporting Poor Obama , well Not Poor Looking at his Tax filing Campaign has been good for his book sales! Bet Obama starts Whining again!

April 22, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Rob BC,Canada

It looks like her mudslinging and double speak at the last minute stopped the swing at six points.I guess the kitchen sink barely saved her here but not to worry,it wont work outside of her home state.Hey ,Ralph Nader, how about Obama for running mate if "slime politics" win out in this race for the Clintons.I could see a whole lot of people in Obama's camp fitting in with the independents.His followers are about about change and intelligent decisions.Hillary followers just seem to have a "we gotta win" mentality.They will believe the "queen" no matter what kind of clothes she says she is wearing.You say Hillary was out spent by Obama 2 to 1.I suppose that means he was financially supported at a 2-1 rate.What does that tell you.Also, yo "holier than thou" Clinton zealots, are you telling me that if Hillary had the money should wouldn't use it to her best interest.Give me a break with your weak knee'd spins and double speak, please.Enough.

April 22, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. J. Hua

Not trying to be rude, I really wanted Obama to win even though my family wants Clinton, but what are you guys talking about?? How is Hillary lying?? How do you guys know that she is lying? (Yes, I haven't watched ANY of the campaigns. ><" That's why I am asking.)

April 22, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  25. Jillian From Wisconsin

yes!! I am one of those college students who is not caught up in all the obama hype. If you are a college student they practically brain wash you in political science courses to vote for obama. HE IS NOT THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS PEOPLE. he is an intelligent but completely inexperienced candidate who is just not ready. Hilliary has put in the hard work and she deserves to be president. The color of skin doesn't matter, Obama is just another rich man.and I have had enough of that.

and who am i you might ask?
    I am a political science major who follows politics very closely. I am a future law student. I am not some drugged up college kid who just decided that politics was cool because all their friends are doing it.
    GET OVER IT