April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: McCain would win Clinton and Obama supporters

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

(CNN) - John McCain said Tuesday he isn't sure if a prolonged Democratic race is benefiting his candidacy, but the exit polls appear to show it is.

The Arizona senator stands to win supporters of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama if their candidate does not win.

Only 50 percent of Clinton voters in Pennsylvania said they would support Obama if he is the nominee. Twenty-six percent said they would back McCain over Obama, and 19 percent said they would not vote at all.

Among Obama’s Pennsylvania voters, 67 percent said they would support Clinton if she is the party's nomine. Seventeen percent said they would back McCain instead, and 12 percent said they would stay home.

Clearly, whoever is the Democratic nominee will have some fences to mend.

1. mike,Iowa

I think we need to step back and take a look at the big picture here. Yes we are divided as democrats due to our having two very capable candidates who both can play a very historical role in our history. What we are failing to remember is we have had 8 years of republican rule that has done nothing but make our country worse so the idea of voting against your party becuase your candidate does not win is both iresponsible and childish. I myself am an Obama supporter but if by some chance he doesnt win I will not vote for McCain dispite Obamas loss. I am a Democrat first in this race and as much as I want Obama to win im not going to damage the process by going against the party and hand McCain the presidency should Obama lose. If you are that attached to your candidate that your willing to screw over a candidate from the same party then why even bother to vote if youd rather be apart of the problem then apart of the solution?

April 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. ShannonL

"Yesterday my car got "tagged" with Obama Stickers because I had a Hillary Sticker"

yeah, those are the Ron Paul crazies. They left Paul to join the Cult of Obama....just people looking for a savior.

I've seen a lot of those loons go from Paul to Obama.

April 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Martin in PA

Gun-totin', bird-shootin', carp-fishin', pepper-poppin', fake-accentin', Philly art museum Rocky-runnin', coal miner's daughter Annie Oakley Clinton – who'da thunk it. But then again, she's "native daughter" of Illinois, Scranton PA, Little Rock AK, Washington DC, Chappaqua ("small town") NY, AND New York City (Harlem, at that).

Who wouldn't want to vote for this snake oil salesmistress???

April 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Susan

Hillary has said over and over again that if Obama is the nominee then she would be out there supporting him in the National Election.
    I have not heard Obama giving her the same potential support and thus attempting to unify the party.

April 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Eric, Durham, NC

Seeing that there is a very small statistical probability that Clinton can win outright, it will anger me and pain me to no end to see her picked by the super delegates to be our nominee.

However after serious reflection and kicking at the air for a few days, I will vote for her but seriously consider becoming and independent asap.

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. JDG

I consider myself a independent althought I've voted republican for the past twenty some years. This years candidancy leaves very much to be desired on both sides of the aisle. Those who say they are staying at home and not going to vote are only hurting themselves and opening the door for one or the other candidate, whom ever that might be. Voting is a right and everyone should take advantage of that opportunity, regardless of how they feel about the candidates. A non-vote is a double vote for the opponent. Nothing is perfect, but this is a great country...........so please make it better with a vote, whom ever your candidate.

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. Arkansas Undertaker

You know what people all over this country really are "BITTER". To say you will vote for McCain because Hillary doesnt get the nomination shows just how stupid and prejudice AMERICANS really are.

If Obama looses in the fall because of racial prejudices and ignorance, AMerica will be the laughing stock of the entire world. And the country will deserve it. The little respecet we do have will be mocked across the entire planet and it will be so deserved.

April 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. james, FLL

Raphael from TX go ahead vote for McCain when Obama wins the nomination, people like you voted for Bush Twice and that is why we are where we are today..i'm an Obama supporter but i will support Hillary if she's the nominee you know why, cause i'm a democrat above all..

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  9. Mike

Very interesting. Dogs do resemble their owners. Just as Hillary is negative and vindictive. Her supporters are so vindictive that they would choose a war monger old man with no economic ideas over a fine candidate like Obama. Please help me understand. Is this just blatant racism. Or does Hillary have so much in common with Bush and McCain that it is easy for Hillary supporters to cross over?

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. Theresa

Hillary's smear tactics have worked on her supportors. Isn't that lovely? Nah... she's not out to destroy the party. SHe did it without even trying.

She's trying to run a good campaign and it's in the crapper. No money and no consistency other than her angry one sided losers. Wow...

April 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. EJ

May be true, but Obama still leads in polls head on head with McCain and is widening a lead nationally against Clinton.

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  12. mehrnoosh

McCain : bomb, bomb, bomb Iran

Hillary: we are able to obliterate Iran

The result: McCain= Hillary

Being a warmonger is different from being a wise and tough president

Obama 2008

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  13. Susan

Hillary will distroy the democratic party

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Jacob McIntyre

We are going to see a landslide in November on the scale seen in Regans day and FDRs day for the democrats.

No country for old men.

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  15. Robert in Albuquerque

oh my god.. I'd better run home and cling to my gun and religion because the world is coming to an end. This entire primary season is becoming so stupid. Anti- Clinton, Anti-Obama, Anti- anything . Everyone needs to just calm down and work hard at putting a Democrat in the W.H and stop the biotching!

April 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. OMG!!!

IF THESE PEOPLE ARE THREATNEENING TO JUMP TO MCCAIN THEY ARE REALLY BITTER!!! I DON' T BELIEVE THIS. NEITHER CLINTON NOR OBAMA IS OWED THE PRESIDENCY.

OBAMA 08

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. bessie

This is true, I don't think I can vote for Obama . How much do we really know about the guy since he's so new to the political arena. In additional, based on his performance last week in the debate, I just don't think Obama is ready to be our commander in chief.

H I L L A R Y ' 0 8

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. Howard

No matter how bitter the Democratic contest has been, any Democrat who votes for McCain is making a terrible mistake. There is almost no difference between McCain and Bush on the various serious issues facing this country. Foremost among these are the war in Iraq and the economy. . If you think the last 7 years have been good, vote for McCain. Otherwise, vote Democratic.

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  19. aware

Hillary 2008 and 2012! 🙂

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  20. Obamacratic

Fact is, both Obama and Clinton both are proposing VERY VERY VERY SIMILAR ideas on how to run the country. Anyone who will not vote for the other is basing their vote on personality, not issues. That is a shame. But for the record, McCain is a moderate republican, so he won't be as bad as Bush, but he will not stand for what we democrats believe strongly in. WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!!! NO MORE BUSH!!!!

April 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  21. Shannon Bowling Green, KY

I'm a Kentucky resident who supports Hillary Clinton. However, if Obama gets the nomination, I WILL be voting for McCain no matter what. My vote won't be a vote in favor of McCain, but in fact, a vote AGAINST Obama. I don't believe he has the ability to lead.

April 22, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  22. Karen

I will not vote if Hillary does not win. That's it!

April 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. Venus

Go Obama! If some of Hillarys supporters vote for Mc Cain – You will still win! This poll proves some thing! Most of Hillary's supporter are just like her ------mean!

April 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  24. Scott for Hillary (Ohio)

If Obama is the nominee he WILL NOT get my vote! I don't understand why Democrats can't see that he cannot win a general election. All you have to do is look at the polls in Ohio. If you can't win Ohio you cannot win the general election, plain and simple!

Hillary '08

April 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. Richard

Get er done Hillary. Obama got pwned in the debate and in Pn.

April 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |