April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: McCain would win Clinton and Obama supporters

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

(CNN) - John McCain said Tuesday he isn't sure if a prolonged Democratic race is benefiting his candidacy, but the exit polls appear to show it is.

The Arizona senator stands to win supporters of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama if their candidate does not win.

Only 50 percent of Clinton voters in Pennsylvania said they would support Obama if he is the nominee. Twenty-six percent said they would back McCain over Obama, and 19 percent said they would not vote at all.

Among Obama’s Pennsylvania voters, 67 percent said they would support Clinton if she is the party's nomine. Seventeen percent said they would back McCain instead, and 12 percent said they would stay home.

Clearly, whoever is the Democratic nominee will have some fences to mend.

1. Jane

Oh, that's right! Remember when Hillary adopted a fake "Southern accent" a few months back campaigning in the South?

What a crazy phony bag lady Hillary is. Didn't know she could flip that Southern accent on and off like a light switch.

April 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Laura Charlotte NC

As a barely over fifty voter, I value wisdom and experience over oratory skills. I made my decision in January, after learining of Obama's lack of experience and questionable acquantainces, to first support Senator Clinton and second Senator McCain. There is no third choice.
    In my opinion, Senator Obama is not a suitable option for the Presidency.

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  3. angele

I think the dems has shown a record number of turn out this election so whoever the nominee is for them majority of the voters would not go over to the republican side, so i dont think mccain would win their votes and cost the democrates the election.

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. Grif

It's a Mosaic..... Watch where you put you're feet....

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. AZM

If one of them runs independant it will be a disaster...
    40% vote Dem
    15% vote IND
    45% vote Rep

It would be bad for the liberals...

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. Ex hillary supporter

To Hillary supporters who would support Mccain if Obama is the nominee:
    Please post some good reasons why you would do this because just saying it sounds very childish and it sounds like you aren't a real democrat. What Mccain issues do you believe in?

April 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Cindy

Polls are right–McCain or Nader would get my vote if Hillary won. Because I would not only be upset with her, but at the DNC for allowing her to hijack the election.

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Apollyon

AS of the last commercial from Hillary, I am on that band wagon. I caucused for Hillary here in Iowa. I changed after all the racist garbage from Bill, and since I have done nothing but defend the idea that we all have to come together no matter who wins?

That is dead in the dust now. The question is... are we going to have a two non-alternative candidates for the Presidential election? Hillary is now running to the right of McBush on foreign policy? This white-middle age-construction worker has had it with the Clinton's. I will work tirelessly to get her defeated in the general if she gets the nomination. AND I will move to New York if she ends up running for the Senate again, just to remind everyone what a racist, (Bill), Lying, (Hill & Bill), Backstabbing, (remember what she did to Kerry?), fear/war mongering, (Hillary last week & her new ad), Self-serving, (again Hill & Bill), traitors to their Party that THEY really are. I wouldn't p**s on them if they were on fire at this point. Maybe Hillary can buddy up with Lieberman...

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. David

Democrats are loyal because the men and women of our armed forces are depending on Democratic leadership. We can't sacrifice party loyalty for candidate fanaticism.

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  10. erica in florida

i'm an Obama supporter. but i would vote for hillary if he didn't win. i would never vote for mccain. he's one of the reason why i'm a democrat..

April 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  11. MDR

Im Obama all the way. But if he isn't the nominee I wouldn't make the dumb decision and vote rebublican, goes against everything I believe. Will vote democrat no matter who the canidate is.

April 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. Ladyleo

If my democrat candidate does not win I will not be voting in November.

April 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. dr.watson

I love reading Liberal hate mail as much as the next guy but please, not on Earth Day!! Can't we all just get along on the most sacred day of the year? Lenins Bday! (not a coincidence)

April 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  14. dooley

As an Arab, I really, really hope McCain wins. In fact its a shame Bush can't be elected to a third term. Hopefully they will stay in Iraq for as "long as it takes" and attack the "axis of evil" Iran and drive oil prices to $6000 per barrel.

Come on USA, hand over the rest!!!

April 22, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  15. Cowboy Jack

Sen. Obama is not exactly electable in PA among it's traditional, conservative Democrats

April 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Rich Johnson

It's hard for me to believe that today's Democrat would refuse to vote simply because his / her candidate did not get the nomination. My bet is that their hate / disenfranchisement of the Republican party outweighs the disappointment of their candidate not being nominated.

April 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. Venus

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    I just love this! Hillary supporters are funny as hell! They act just like Hillary! Come November – you will be on the Obama's train! By the way – welcome aboard! Next stop----– NC and IN
    Go Obama!

April 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Greg Raynes

It's sad to know that nineteen percent of my fellow democrat-registered Pennsylvanians would remove themselves entirely from the election process should their chosen primary candidates fail.

As though there still won't be SUCH an important choice to make come November.

I further recall no reports stating that nineteen percent of Pennsylvania Democrats were also rendered comatose throughout the last eight years.

April 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  19. Dee

Democrats will regain their sense of the party and world and reject
    Mc Cain when the right time comes. A Democrat must lead the country.

April 22, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. Dennis

Everyone needs to keep their eye on the prize. Hillary does have some very serious "truth" issues. I am voting for Obama, however, if Hillary were to pull this out, I would still vote for her because this is about putting a democratic president back in office. Everyone on both sides need to get over themselves and look at the big picture. I can understand people staying home if their candidate doesn't get the nomination, but I don't understand anyone who would vote for McCain. You are just asking for more years of war, foreign policy indifference, and economic problems. Amazing!

April 22, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. kim portland, oregon

and PS: do you seriously want to look at that HIDEOUS mug for the next 4 years (and that's only IF he doesnt croak in office with all the stress)!?!? dear god, cindy is certifiable!!!!

April 22, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Smith, Mississippi

Why would people do this? I hear people say "If my candidate doesn't win I'll vote for McCain. I can deal with four more years of the same." How stupid is that? The key word in that statement is "I". What about the people that can't with stand four more years of the same? Like our soldiers, homeowners, single parents, families without healthcare.... The list goes on and on. People please get over yourselves and your petty differences and come together for a change.

April 22, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. Chuck in Oregon

Keep dreaming Mr McCain. Its not that they dont like you the person it is the party that you represent.... its called republican. Also weither or not you believe it, the democratic party will unite again under one candidate just to keep away from 8 more years of Republican. Hang on for 4 more years and maybe then you can run again.

April 22, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. The Dude

How are these people going to vote against the issues? Obama and Clinton see pretty much eye to eye on the important ISSUES that really matter right now. Jesus, people, this isn't a race for high school president. If you vote for 100 more years of Iraq just because you are upset about the primary, you are a complete moron.

ANYON BUT MCCAIN '08!

April 22, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Brandy- I love Obama!

Thank you "Vince-Phoenix". I agree with you on that!

Obama 08