April 22nd, 2008

Exit polls: McCain would win Clinton and Obama supporters

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

McCain talks with residents during a town hall meeting in Youngstown, OH.

(CNN) - John McCain said Tuesday he isn't sure if a prolonged Democratic race is benefiting his candidacy, but the exit polls appear to show it is.

The Arizona senator stands to win supporters of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama if their candidate does not win.

Only 50 percent of Clinton voters in Pennsylvania said they would support Obama if he is the nominee. Twenty-six percent said they would back McCain over Obama, and 19 percent said they would not vote at all.

Among Obama’s Pennsylvania voters, 67 percent said they would support Clinton if she is the party's nomine. Seventeen percent said they would back McCain instead, and 12 percent said they would stay home.

Clearly, whoever is the Democratic nominee will have some fences to mend.

1. Nathan

Obama supporters blame Clinton for everything, kind of how they blame America for everything. Al Gore blamed both Clinton's in 2000 when he lost, Kerry blamed Hillary in 2004 when he lost. Hillary is the whipping post of all those who have low self efficacy. The fact of the matter is for alot of Clinton supporters McCain is closer to the mddle than Obama. Obama's health policy is inferior. He wants to negotiate with terrorists and terrorist sympathizers. So Obama acolytes, your candidate needs to take responsibility for his campaign and maybe get better policies over the hot air of his rhetoric and stutter.

April 22, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. anniew

HRC should demonstrate some consideration, if she has any, for the democratic party and bow out now. Beginning Friday she is going to be invovled in a civil suit involving the worst instance of campaign finance fraud in the history of this country, a case where it will be demonstrated that she was one of the primary individuals to collude, conspire and orchestrate the fraud as well as to mispresent the fraud to the Fraud to the FEC. Not only will this instance of fraud in California be addressed, but her participation in other instances of fraud will come out during this trial.

And this time, the evidence is incontrovertable. This will be a Clinton debacle that, unlike in the 90s, they will NOT be able to get themselves out of. They've already been fined by the FEC. However, the civil case will be far worse, because unlike the FEC, this case is in Civil court and therefore, the government will be unable to cut a deal under the rug as a favor to her to cover her butt.

If she has any integrity, and this certain will test whether she has any, she will bow out now.

--------------------------–

April 22, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Trollmaster CA

All these "If Hillary doesn't win, I'm voting for McCain" people are phonies attempting to cause chaos because they know when it comes to a campaign on the real issues, McCain doesn't stand a chance. They're Republicans that have no intention of voting for either Hillary or Obama in the general election.

Americans need to see this illusion for what it is.

April 22, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  4. Andrew

Wow. I hope I'm not looking into it too much, but the numbers sure are telling. I mean 50% of Hillary Clinton's supporters would suddenly shoot to the complete opposite side of the field? Where is the rationality in that?

In terms of issues, Clinton and Obama are virtually identical. I cannot even fathom what these people are thinking. It's illogical and stupid.

It speaks volumes about Clinton's supporters.

April 22, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  5. No McCain

I have doubts McCain can maintain even his own Republican supporters – lots of them probably jump to the democrats. The pools results are showing positive to McCain because we are still in the middle of campagning against each other and say things that we actually don't mean. But once we have a democratic nominee, and start our reconciliation campaign, McCain's luck is going to fall down like there is no tomorrow.

April 22, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  6. Matt

Another thought we could have right wing operatives fomenting dissent amongst us on this very board. Google operation chaos its a direct attempt to hurt the Democratic candidates and if you spew hate you only help them. They are desperate to keep power
    because if they lose it there could be some investigations and I think we all know what that will yield. Please liberals out there think before you help the enemy with an off comment.

April 22, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  7. JohnQ

I guess she finally got what she wanted....
    Makes me see Hillary as a republican machinery

April 22, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. Arnie In Seattle

It's a shame that two very smart, charismatic candidates are being forced into "dirty politics" by the media. Why doesn't the media shed some light and discussion on the truth about John McCain? The facts suggest he would be a terrible leader, and either of the two democratic candidates would succeed in the White House.

April 22, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  9. jason

hillary is the nastiest of all...I honestly don't know what you people are hearing/watching...do you have blinders on or what?

It's actually quite telling: EDUCATED and informed voters are for Obama...haha.

Clinton gets the ignorant bunch which make the bulk of the population. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the world.

Go rent the movie "Idiocracy" (2006)

April 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Karen

I am watching CNN and Roland Martin said Bush won Ohio by only 10,000 votes. You would think someone would have corrected him and told him it was 110,000 votes. Bush lost Pennsylvania by less than that. Roland Martin is truly the stupidest man on cable.

April 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. Tejano

Oh, How I love this exchange. bitter Bitter BITTER. The winner will be....... the envelope please......Joohaan Maaacaaiin. and the runner up is Nader. Two old men that should have lost. But no Obama you had to show up and ruin the party.

God I wish Bush was able to run again. Maybe Jeb Bush will run In 2012., Chelsea has to wait until she is 35., Then bush, Clinton, Bush

Sounds like a good country song.

April 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. David

It really doesn't matter. McCain will pick Condi as his running mate and win easily. Even if it isn't Condi, as long as it isn't Lieberman, he will do well.

You folks need to realize, Carter's election was a punishment against Ford and CLinton won twice because of Perot. Otherwise, Republican Presidnets have been elected since FDR......

Yes, JFK. But, how many dead people voted in Illinois and Texas for him? And, Truman and LBJ benefitted by death. That said, I do think LBJ was agreat President.

The US votes Conservative.... NY and California...well, who cares. They are so liberal, they don't have a clue.

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  13. Ryan from Indiana

Obama supporters are vicious and fanatical. I don't agree with Obama on his criticism of healthcare, nor do I think that because he gave a speech that he's stronger on the war, nor do I think he's experienced or equiped to be President. Here's a thought for the Obama supporters... maybe people who say that experience matters, really mean that experience matters!!

And the real idiots are people who complain about "being loyal to the democrats!" I support Hillary because I think she would be the best President for this country. If she is not the candidate, I will vote for the next best choice – McCain! And you insulting me about it really doesn't make me change my mind. Really.

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  14. Gross

Sadly, Vince in Phoenix is right. The only reason that I can possibly fathom that would cause a Clinton supporter to vote for McCain is fear of the black man. Well, that is if you actually understand your own politics and why you vote the way you do. Maybe it is just a popularity contest?

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. 1 Happy Republican

Join us dems, We are very happy to welcome you in our house.

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. hammer

The US Congress is the least respected government institution. It has a voter appeal of just 20%. That's more than 50% worse than George W. Why is that? Because it is a partisan do nothing self interest legislative quagmire. Each side always accuses the other of causing this and that or whatever. John McCain is to ONLY candidate who has demonstrated bipartisanship on the issues. He has the integrity, honesty and track record to prove the point. Hillary and Obama are more of the same old liberals who blame the rich and corporations for the woes of the people. They have never shown an inkling of compromise. Can you image a troika of Obama, Pelosi and Reid. They would raise taxes, end free trade, impose barriers to trade, open the borders, spend more in government and lead the US down the road to the fall of Rome. Everyone wants change from GW Bush, but we want responsible centrist ideas, not those generated from the far left of Obama and Hillary and the radical press of the NYT and SF Examiner.

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. Susan MO

Not if it's Hillary.

She is strong, intelligent, and experienced.

Hillary 08

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. wilma

If Obama wins the nomination, voting for him is not an option for me. I base my decision, on the belief, that he is not experienced enough. We have suffered through 8 yrs of Bush, who definitely, was & is not qualified to be President. Enough for me............& yes, McCain is considered a moderate in the republican party. He is an honorable man, & will get my vote after Hillary. Obama is too far left of center for me.

April 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  19. KJ

I just want to echo the stupidity of voting for McCain whoever gets the nomination. Hillary and Barack are very similar in terms of policy. I support Barack because he has exhibited far superior judgment than Hillary in terms of foreign policy and represents real change in that arena where are nation has gone in a disastrous direction. But I'll be an enthusiastic Hillary supporter if need be.

And McCain is no moderate Republican. That's not true in the least. He's more pro-war than even Bush. He's never seen a war he didn't like. Just peruse his record. He also has adopted the far right Bush tax policy, is far far right on abortion policy, and has absolutely no real health care plan. Just because he sponsored McCain-Feingold and everyone calls him a maverick doesn't mean he isn't very conservative. In fact, most partisan scorecards score him in the top 20 percent in terms of being conservative while Obama and Clinton come in between 20 and 40 percent in terms of being liberal.

April 22, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. Leila

Voting for McCain over Obama is not just about being unhappy that Hillary is not the nominee. For me, I do not believe Obama is capable of being president, do not think he is prepared, and I do not trust him. I prefer Clinton's ideas and plans over McCain's, but I trust McCain more than Obama. If BHO is the nominee, I will vote for McCain. I will be voting against Obama more than voting for McCain.

NObama

April 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  21. LT for Obama

Voting for McCain because your candidate does not win is silly.

Not showing up at the polls for the same reason is just as silly.

However, did those of you who will defect to the other party not notice that there are a large number of republicans and changed their party affiliation just so they can vote for a democrat?

What that tells you is that change is what the country is craving whether is it BO or HRC.

Tsk, tsk. Make your vote count for what really matters and that is NOT your personal feelings but what is best for the country.

April 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  22. Independent 08

Aha..... the cat is out the bag, the democrats are just as bigoted as the Republicans!!! I wonder how foolish those blacks who have been voting democrat faithfully for the last 50 years feel now? Bill Clinton got 50% of their vote.

At least one good thing will come out of this, no more lock step voting for democrats in the black community, Clinton must be laughing now she's got what she wanted.

April 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  23. em

FOR MS. Susan April 22nd, 2008 6:40 pm ET

Hillary has said over and over again that if Obama is the nominee then she would be out there supporting him in the National Election.
    I have not heard Obama giving her the same potential support and thus attempting to unify the party.

YES he DID in the very last debate.

April 22, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  24. kim portland, oregon

anyone who thinks mccain would make a good leader is seriously mislead on who the man is!

since when does a flip-flopper of historic proportions, with very serious anger issues, who physically attacks people in front of the senate, has a MAJOR reputation in washington for flying off the handle, SUPPORTS the failed and IN DEBT to foreign countries invasion of iraq, WANTS another failed invasion of iran (which will without question BRING very deadly attacks onto US soil), calls his wife a c*word in front of people, supports tax cuts to the most wealthy americans, and i have to stop now cuz my fingers hurt...but the list could go on forever.

these are ALL very easily found facts to check on, so please do it and then tell me how THAT makes for a "great leader"!!!

you all want EXPERIENCE, but with mccain what you're going to get is WAR experience! this country cannot take anymore war. it's a VERY dated, old-fashioned idea for changing america and the world.

it is NOT patriotic to vote for a flip-flopper who has TOLD US he plans to continue the failures of the bush/cheney cabal!

just cuz he spent 5 years as a POW 40 years ago DOES NOT mean he'd make a good president TODAY-or ever!!!!

April 22, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  25. Christy, Tampa FL

How can any true supporter of either Clinton or Obama say they would choose McCain over either of them if their pick didn't win the nomination? How can you call yourself a democrat or a supporter? They both have essentially the same campaign with the same issues and McCain's issues are so grossly different, it's not even a question. If any TRUE supporter of either of these candidates feels throwing a temper tantrum will solve this country's crises, they're sorely mistaken. I can't stand Clinton and I hope she loses the nomination to Obama, but should by some freak of nature, she win the nomination, I would vote for her. The ACTUAL issues are far more important than throwing a hissy fit because your pick didn't win. This isn't a baseball game or a hockey game. We're talking about our country here. Take it seriously.

April 22, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |