April 23rd, 2008

Clinton claims Pennsylvania: 'The tide is turning'

Sen. Hillary Clinton addresses supporters following her win in Pennsylvania.
Sen. Hillary Clinton addresses supporters following her win in Pennsylvania.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton claimed victory in Pennsylvania on Tuesday, beating out Sen. Barack Obama after a bruising six-week campaign.

"It's a long road to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and it runs right through the heart of Pennsylvania," she told supporters in Philadelphia.

"I'm in this race to fight for you ... You know you can count on me to stand up strong for you every single day in the White House."

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Judy, Portland

LJ Blue, don't kid yourself that Judicial Watch is non-partisan.

In 2002, Judicial Watch received $1.1 million from the Carthage Foundation and a further $400,000 from the Sarah Scaife Foundation. The year before the Scaife Foundation had given $1.35 million and Carthage $500,000.

Hmmmm, Scaife.....where have I heard that name before?

April 23, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. Ovidiu Carstea, Florida

Points of view of an Obama supporter:

1.Obama regain (won) in Pennsylvania 10 points gap from an initial 20 points gap. Conclusion: Obama is gaining momentum.

2.You can win and lose some states in the race. If you win one state does not give you the nomination. If you lose you are not out of the race. The final count will decide the winner.

3.The pledge delegates will decide the winner and not the filling of the super delegates. At least if the election rules are not changed since the election begun.

4.Clinton was outspent by Obama because she had no money.

5.Obama has won more pledge delegates

6.Obama has won more states

7.Obama has popular vote

8.Obama lead in national polls

9.Obama did not initiate any negative attack. He played only in defense. He picked up only the Clintons glove.

10.It’s irrelevant the percentage in democratic primary to judge the general election. If a candidate loose by 45% in a state in primary, against opposite party you need to consider democrat-republican balance in that state.

11.Obama is not more elitist than any other presidential candidate.

12.Both candidates (Obama and Clinton) voters said will vote with McCain or will note vote.

I don’t like to go negative. I like to see only the facts.

With hope for a better life,
    Ovidiu Carstea

April 23, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. Gina

The tide is sweeping her away. Obama crushed her lead in PA. Is there any state where Clinton narrowed Obama's lead on her? I don't think there is. Everywhere he goes, people meet him and see the real deal. While some Americans (especially the ederly, the republicans, and the republocrats) aren't ready to let go of what they know, but most of us are very ready for a paradigm shift.

April 23, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Daron

I hate it when people say "anti-American" but what they mean is "anti- what I think." To some, "anti-American" is whenever you say America was wrong. We have gone to sleep numerous time and allowed someone to take office that has gone out into the world and gotten us into some major BS. I served in the military. I am a proud patriot. I served in Desert Storm. I served a tour in Europe. There are large portions of the world that genuinely hate the US. They think we are arrogant selfish war mongers and that we take, and go where we want. And those are our allies.
    Regarding this Rev. Wright thing. I hate it when people try to put a second mouth on me that is attached to another person. You can’t control that, and that is what the individuals making all the accusation are counting on . It is time to let that die. If Obama main negative is something someone else said and something someone else did, are those real negatives? I say,"NO." That is why he got my vote. I guarantee you every single candidate has done, said, or witnesses something that would shock the $h!t out of you. I think focus should be put on first person actions not diversions.

April 23, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Mike - Chicago

This whole claim about her winning the big states is ridiculous. She's using a number of states that always go democratic in the general election as examples. Regardless who the candidate is in November, CA, NY, NJ will still vote democrat, unless the non nominee's supporters get all cry baby like and refuse to vote or vote for McCain out of spite. You can even throw PA into that same example.

The real argument should be can Hillary win those southern states that the republicans have carried for a while. She didn't really win any of those. Take a look at some of those smaller states, that everybody overlooks. LA, MS, NC, SC, GA, these are states that republicans take for granted (similar to Dems and NY, NJ, IL), that with Barack suddenly become more battleground states and we have a chance of winning. We take those away from the republicans and then your Floridas and Ohios, which are larger states, don't have such an impact anymore. Yeah they are nice to have, but not crucial if you can steal a few smaller ones from the grasp of the Reps. Hillary can't do that, but Barack can.

Look at it this way. In 200, if Al Gore would have only carried his home state of Tennessee, then Florida wouldn't have mattered and nobody would have cared so much about it. In 2004, if Kerry could have stolen a couple smaller states, then Ohio wouldn't have mattered. The debacles of the last two elections have detracted the attention of everybody and placed too great of an emphasis on a few states, just because they had problems. Let's take them out of consideration and put up a candidate that can take states away from the republicans. It's not like the states that Barack didn't win he was a complete no show in, he has done quite well in many of these states that Hillary claims are our key to the election.

And for those of you who are going to be cry babies about their candidate not winning the nomination and either not voting or voting for McCain out of spite. Get over yourself already. Either candidate the Dems put up will be better than McCain, and if half the Dems don't vote in November, we might as well start swearing in McCain now. It's time to grow up people, whoever the nominee is, let's all get behind them and take back control of the government.

For clarities sake, I'm an Obama supporter, but if Hillary's my only choice in November, she'll get my vote long before McCain would.

April 23, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Bitter in Texas

I got a little curious this morning and did some fact checking…check this website out Project Hillary, show all the Bill Clinton pardons and now the Paul v Clinton lawsuit implicates Gov. Randal of PA as DNC Chair…. interesting, very interesting….Campaign FRAUD! Yep, the Tide come in and the Tide goes OUT!!!!

April 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. Reality check #1

People are begining to see that Obama is unelectable and a large percentage of voters will come to Hillarys aid. Obama cannot tell the truth about anything, especially his close friendships and relationships. Americans are worried about him and have reason to be. Hillary is the Democrats only chance. Obama will be literally squashed if he is the nominee in November and McCain will go into office. Hillary can and will beat McCain. The polls are not dependable as the media is in love with Obama. Americans are no longer fooled by his delivery of a speech written for him. The substance is missing from Obama.

April 23, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Kathleen, I thought I was the only one that notice Hannitys obsession with hating obama he is raceist it shows every night and they say very little to nothing about Clinton and she have more garbage in her trash than the sanitation dept I hate Hannity and I wish they get rid of him or let me in the room with him for 5 mins and they have a nerve to say fox news is fare and balance, yea right and Lou Dobbs is getting to be the same way have you noticed that?

April 23, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. ***AMERICAN***

I have total respect for someone who continues to fight a losing battle.

April 23, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Dave

I don't know why a smiling face was inserted into my previous post. It must have been because the ... ) was made into a face but it wasn't done on my behalf.

April 23, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Ada

Barak doesn't get it. People are voting for Hillary because he is refusing to fight back when she attacks him. Hillary has every right to stay in the race. It is up to Barak to knock her out. If Barak can't knock Hillary out, then he doesn't deserve the nomination. I hope Barak and his campaign have another strategy to use against the republican because that DO NOTHING PERSONALITY IS REALLY DISGUSTING to his supporters. This is why people are moving away from Barak. I used to blog for him a lot. I actually quit because of his nothing campaign strategy. Barak is making a big mistake if he think he can win by saying nice things about his opponent who does nothing but say negative things about him. PEOPLE DO LISTEN TO NEGATIVE INFORMATION AND CONSUMED THEM. Saying nice things about McCain is not helpful either. It only frustrates the Democratic base. GOOD DAY SIR AND CONTINUE TO MAKE THE MISTAKE OVER AND OVER. I mean not responding to negative attacks before people go to the polls. DOES BARAK EVER LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES?

April 23, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  12. db

No thanks Hillary. You aren't the one I want fighting for me.

April 23, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  13. Ada

I MEANT TO SAY, GOOD DAY SIR AND CONTINUE TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE OVER AND OVER.

April 23, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  14. ***AMERICAN***

I will say "Yes" when she pays her the money she owes and her campaign is out of the red.

April 23, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. Ksanfield

To LJ Blue-

He wasn't able to keep his children from being brainwashed by his racist mentor, – Brainwashed ??!! see how u clinton people come up with stories and just spin and spin. if you r a xtian and go to church..swear to God taht u agree with everthing ur pastor has ever said. that's if u actually go to church because a true xtian will be willing to forgive. Although, if someone was able to bring me closer to God, i'm not going to walk out on him because i dont agree with his view of politics.

I really don't see the tide turning anywhere, she was suppsoed to win PA and they say he spent millions, why not, did they expect him to just sit around and let her win with 20 or more points.
    They say more of clinton supposters wont vote for him in nov..thats becuase thats the way she has run her campaign. she made it personal and her supporters have followed her in dat direction.
    I use dto be one of those people that say i vote for obama but if she wins i'll vote for her and that was becuase obama wasn't trying to make us hate her, he was just saying i can change washinton ways better than she. I'm not so sure i'll still vote for her in nov anyway becuase she made up a lie for political gain so what do u think she'll do in d white house, make up lies and excuses.
    she has been stressing how he made bitter remarks about small towns in PA..he simply said things wrong and we know in out hearts of hearts ( if we want to be honest) that he is not elitist but she lied about bosnia to enrich her resume.. God knows i am willing to trust him about that miststatement before i trust her about her lies,

I couldnt even begin to say all that i think about hillary and teh 1000 of reasons why i cant vote for her and why Mccain will be teh next president if she's the nominee

April 23, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Maggie

OK MIke can post a book, and I can't get a sentance in......

Canada? GO NOW, and take Obambi with you

April 23, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. America

I don't agree with McCain's policies at all, but I do love how he congratulated Obama and Clinton for a well run campaign in PA. He does have a great old man sense of humor.

Clinton will now go on to claim that the 14 out of 44 contests she has won are the only ones that are important, even though she is also behind in delegates and popular vote. I don't see and end to the Clintards drinking her Kool-Aid, looks like this is going to the convention.

April 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. May

Why has the Democratic Party allowed the hegemonic control of the Party by Bill& Hilllary Clinton and Terry MCauliffe? They alone decide the rules and shifts the goal posts at their will as they only deem fit! And the rest of the party members are sitting like ducks to be shot by the Republicans in November? The Party decided not to sit Michigan and Florida because they violated Party rules. They tried to change that when Hillary was losing, even though Hillary herself said openly on several occasions that those votes would not count. Now, realizing that there is NO WAY for Hillary to win by delegates, they are trying to introduce POPULAR VOTES as the criterium for choosing the nominee. Even at one point, they suggested using the number of State delegates in general elections as the number of delegates in the States won by Hillary. And everyone went along. When Hillary could not win on Super Tuesday, they claimed the real battle was in Ohio and Texas. Even though Obama won the combined primary and caucus votes in Texas, you wouldn't hear that! Then the must win State is Pennsylvania where Hillary was winning by 20 points. They criticise the caucus system, although they gladly accepted the win in Nevada. The Media and the Party follow their definitions of what should be! Even though the math is not on Hillary's side of winning the nomination, they are allowing the race to go on for Hillary to 'bloody' Obama for the Republicans to walk over him in November. Howard Dean, come forthand tell all as Pelosi did that it is the number of Delegates Stupid, not Popular votes! This would allow the superdelegates to cast their votes NOW to prevent the Party from losing in November. You need a long period to heal the wounds of this nomination process. What kind of Leadership is this?

April 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. Chris in NC

Clinton ruining Obama's campaign? How laughable is that. She had the nom tied up 3 months ago. He comes along and steals her platform and uses everything she is running on, with his big preacher speeches EMPTY Change and FALSE Hope, and tweaks her Universal Healthcare plan to leave out 15 million and she is ruining his campaign? His hope and change is a DISASTER for America and the rest of the world. Kerry, Dukakis that's what you got with Obama. IF in the hypest of hypes he hot the Presidency, you got Jimmy Carter.
    Hillary is our fighter to stand up to the Republicans and give them a run for their money.
    Speaking of money why doesn't the media focus on where Obama's 1/4 of a million dollars has come from?

April 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. eddie n. powellnye

tTHE TIDE IS HIGHER ON A FULL MOON.THE LAST TIME I CHECKED THE MOON IS FULL. WHEN I WORKED IN THE ER WE ALWAYS NOTICED THAT PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR WAS STRANGE DURING A FULL MOON. HRC IS JUST LIKE THE TIDE. CHANGE
    TO HER IS WHAT SHE WANTS US TO BELEIVE. THE FACTS SPEAKS OTHERWISE. THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE IS MATH.
    FOLLOWING THAT IS MUSIC. THE LANGUAGE AND THE MUSIC IS ALL AGAINST HER. YOU CAN TRY TO CHANGE THE NUMBERS
    BUT THE BASIC EQUATION REMAINS THE SAME. YOU CAN CHANGE THE WORDS TO A SONG BUT THE NOTES SENDS THE SAME MESSAGE. THE LAST 6 WEEKS REALLY EXPOSED HER FOR WHAT SHE REALLY IS. I, I, I, ME, ME, ME IS HER PLAN FOR HER SOLUTIONS TO OUR COUNTRY'S PROBLEMS. HER ANSWER TO "YES WE CAN' IS "YES I WILL" IF MY MEMORY IS CORRECT, MR. OBAMA TELL US THAT 'WE CAN". HER SOLUTIONS TO EVER PROBLEM WE HAVE DOESN'T INVOLVE 'WE THE PEOPLE' TAKING BACK OUR GOVERNMENT THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE "FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE'. THAT, I FEEL, IS THE ONLY WAY TO FORM A MORE PERFECT UNION'.
    LASTLY, IF THE SUPERDEL. AND THE DNC HAVEN'T GOT THE MESSAGE THAT 'WE THE PEOPLE IN ORDER TO FORM A MORE PERFECT UNION MUST HAVE A GOVERNMENT BASED ON A
    FOUNDATION OF TRUTH. THE BILLARYS HAVE FORGOTTEN THOSE FACTS. I HOPE THAT THE DNC AND SUPERDELEGATES DO NOT DEVELOP ABSENT MINDS OF THOSE FACTS.

April 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |