April 23rd, 2008

Clinton picks up superdelegate

Hillary Clinton got some extra superdelegates Wednesday.
Hillary Clinton got some extra superdelegates Wednesday.

(CNN) - Tennessee Rep. John Tanner announced Wednesday he is backing Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

Tanner, a Democrat representing Tennessee's 8th District, is one of the more than 700 party superdelegates who will ultimately decide which candidate wins the Democratic presidential nomination.

"In my opinion, the best person to lead this critical effort is Hillary Clinton," Tanner said in a statement released by the Clinton campaign. "Hillary is a smart, pragmatic leader who understands the grave situation our country faces, with a $9 trillion debt, much of which is borrowed from foreign countries. Now, more than ever, our nation needs a leader like Sen. Clinton who can work with others to return to fiscal sanity."

Clinton won the state of Tennessee with 54 percent of the vote on February 5.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Tennessee
  1. Steven-Dallas

Hillary- Fiscal Responsibility??? You must be joking. The woman had to loan her campaign $5million and now they're broke and in debt. If she can't run a campaign budget, there's no way she can manage the country's.

April 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Seattle for Obama

Love the words Sen Clinton..THAT IS WHAT SHE SHOULD STAY!!

He said she can fix the $9 trillon debt. now how is that when her campaign is MILLIONS in dept, I am a college graduate and I can do the math.

April 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. jason

The comments from Obama suporters are ugly and that will cost him the general. It reminds me of the spoiled kid who wants his way and wants it now screw everyone else who has yet to voice their opinion. By the way Obama's huge lead came from states that no democrat can win. All the in play states that have to be one Obama has out spent her 3 to 1 on average and he has lost all of those states. Most of his supporters are too young to remember these states that cost us 2000 and 2004 Ohio being a big one and nearly Pennsylvania. Florida doesn't count because no one spent their but she won that also. Electability is a true argument. He hasn't one a general election battle ground state while outspending her 3 to 1!

April 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Women for Hillary

Obama momentum is long gone. The only states he can win now are the ones with a majority of African American democrats, but also do not forget that states like Georgia, NC, SC are republican when comes to general election. Wise superdelegates know Hillary is the only one who can bring a win in November. I am one of Hillary supporters who will go McCain in case Obama gets the nomination. I will not hand my country out to someone who's is not prepared just because he is a Democrat. I am a proud American first then a Democrat. All that I have I owe to my own efforts and to this great nation and not to the democrat party that quiet frankly has become a mess.

April 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. Shelley, NJ

What is wrong with this guy?????? Her campaign is in debt, she's running it into the ground........a sure sign of how she is going to run this country!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Joseph

I am A North Carolina voter and have lived here my whole life. I Am a Hillary Clinton Supporter and will vote for her in the Primary and the General Election. However, I will vote for John McCain if Obama wins the Democratic Nomination. If he is for Change then why is the Entrenched Politicians such and Ted Kennedy and John Kerry supporting Obama, who is a young and impressionable or the better word is "controllable" candidate. I want an President who will not always bend to the will of the party but one who can fight for us against the grain if needed. That is why the Democratic Party will be better off with Hillary Clinton then Obama.

Vote.....Hillary 08

April 23, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Lisa- NC

Don't be sure that NC will be a easy walk for Obama.
    We will be working hard to show the people of NC that Hillary is the one with their best interests at heart. We need a leader not a speech maker. We need solutions not speeches. We need change........ real change from a real leader. We need a leader that believes in themselves. Obama has shown that he can't think on his feet so he is no good in a crisis. Hillary is the whole package. The real deal.

April 23, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Larry~

The country is 9 trillion in debt and the HRC is over 10 million in debt...shows you how she will balance the budget...she is just as bad as the Repubicans...oh wait, she is one in the way she has campaigned.

She and her disgraced husband ought to just join the Repubs since they want to be like them!!!

Obama 08!!!!

April 23, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Jack

Some people knows how to pick a loser.

April 23, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. jeff

So, you're saying Hillary is for uneducated, poor people, and baby boomers? Guess we should stop paying for the young educated generation of today and let them stand on their own for a change since they know soooooooooo much!

Hillary 2008 and beyond!!!

April 23, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Another "Super" steps on board the Titanic. Grab a deck chair and get ready for a fast ride to the bottom!

April 23, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. Tn Lady living in Oklahoma

Finally! A person who uses common sense in this race to the White House. I have been watching and reading these comments for months now, and have been too disgusted to add my two cents, because of all the hatred between the two groups of democrats. I support Hillary for the nomination because I feel she is the most qualified for the job. You people who support Obama need to back up and regroup. He has the least experience of any of the candidates, and you need to be careful what you wish for. We need a person who knows how to get things done, and Hillary is a go-getter. I admit Obama is a great orator, but he needs more training before we turn over the responsibility of running our country to him.

April 23, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. Keyon

The SUPERDELEGATES need to wake up and see that Clinton is DISTROYING THE DEMOCRATE PARTY. She feel like this if I can't have then no one can. Let McCain have it. And that's not right for us and the Democrat Party. Some need to step up and do something about this.

April 23, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |