April 23rd, 2008

Clinton works to energize supporters

Clinton worked to energize a group of supporters in Indiana Wednesday.
Clinton worked to energize a group of supporters in Indiana Wednesday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) - Looking to capitalize on the momentum out of her Pennsylvania primary victory, Hillary Clinton made a quick trip here to energize supporters and plant the flag as her campaign looks to what could be a tight primary contest on May 6.

"The voters of Pennsylvania decided by an overwhelming majority they could count on me to deliver for them. They could count on me to make the tough decisions that will be presented to the next president," Clinton told an outdoor rally in downtown Indianapolis. "We can do it, we can do it."

Clinton told assembled supporters and onlookers that after her Pennsylvania win she now leads in the popular vote tally, something the Obama campaign disputes because Clinton's assertion assumes the vote tallies from Florida and Michigan are included. The Democratic National Committee continues to grapple with the dilemma of whether or not the delegates from those two states will be seated at the party's summer convention.

"It's a very close race but if you count as i count the 2.3 million people who voted in Michigan and Florida then we are going to build on that," she said.

Clinton said her visit marked the 50th time a member of the Clinton family had visited Indiana during this campaign. Both President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton are expected to tour the state in the coming days.

"There will be very few days that a Clinton isn't in Indiana," said Jonathan Swain, the campaign's state communications director.

"This campaign for me here in Indiana is about jobs, jobs, jobs, and jobs. That is what I believe the central issue is. The economy is not working for hard working Americans," Clinton said.

Indiana is losing manufacturing jobs and the states' home foreclosure rate is on the rise. Voters concerned about the economy helped carry Clinton to victory in Pennsylvania, and her campaign hopes a continued emphasis on that issue will give her a boost here.

The fact that Indiana neighbors Illinois, the Clinton campaign says, gives Sen. Barack Obama a bit of an edge here. There are 28 Clinton offices around Indiana, four of which are in the northwestern part of the state, which is part of the Chicago television market - making Obama a very familiar face.

"It's been a hard fought contest that's been good for the Democratic Party," Clinton said. "What's important is how we engage with all of you over the next two weeks."

Clinton spends Thursday in North Carolina, and returns to Indiana Friday for a two-day campaign swing.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

This is truly a desperate woman! She is still counting Florida and Michigan. She and Obama agreed to follow the rules of the DNC.
    I just can't believe people are still buying what she's selling. The lies, being deceitful, do anything to win low down political tactics and people are still voting for her.
    Pennsylvania is just another state fooled by the Clinton machine. People, she can't go toe-to-toe with Obama fairly, because she would loose every time. That whole "bitter issue" was a way for her to stop his momentum because the polls showed that he was down to 3 and 4 points. So the only thing she could do was go negative, which she did and ABC helped her out. People WAKE-THE-HELL-UP!

April 23, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Monica

You should be asking yourself "Why did she fabricate a story about Bosnia"?

April 23, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. wwuuuhhh

How soon one forgets that she had lied about being under sniper fire, then stuck to her story saying she was sure it happened. Then when she was called on it, she said something along the lines 'Oh well, I'm only human. I should be given a mulligan.' And of course her sheeple go baaaa... we believe. baaaa...

So should there be someone is office like that who will go oh well, I'm only human if they get their hand caught in the cookie jar? Oh yeah... a Clinton already did. Good ol' Bill and Monica.

She would rather see the democractic party go down in flames then to allow someone other then her to be the president.

April 23, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Kevin

Mike,

The 14th Amendment has nothing to do with a POLITICAL PARTY NOMINATION. All of you self-proclaimed experts on the Constitution need to take a closer look at the failures of the FL/MI representatives, and look no further.

States have a privilege to seat delegates ONLY if the Party declares that they have that privilege. It was made clear that MI and FL forfeited that privilege.

April 23, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Monica

You should be asking yourself "Why did she hire a man for a top job who is also on the payroll of the Columbians"?

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. mary

The way I look at it, I live in Michigan and DNC says my vote don't count. Well, come this November my vote will go to the Republicans for the first time. Also, the DNC thinks the votes in Michigan AND Florida don't count so........the way I see it the Democrats took us right out of the United States. Guess we don't have to pay taxes any more.

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. count the votes

Hillary is right and she is ahead in the popular vote!! She now has my full support and last night I gave to her campaign. When all the votes are counted as they should be – then she is ahead. Disenfranchise some voters and we all lose. Democracy means giving people a voice and counting their votes. If Florida and Michigan are not included then I for one cannot support the Democratic Party (from the top of the ticket to the bottom – I won't support a party that disenfranchises voters). The DNC Specifically punishing the voters in Florida on the wrong decisions made by a Republican State Senate and House and then Signed by a Republican Governor that is in a short list for VP on the McCain ticket is incomprehensible. I voted for Obama and now I regret it because the biggest test for him was to fight for every vote he got. As recovered OBAlcoholic I learned my lesson.

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. Gaby

She has not won the total popular vote, she really lies and the people believe it and vote for her, it's no wonder this country is going down the tubes with this kind of leadership - opportunistic.

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Grif

Estimated 6000,000 People in Indiana? 2 third Able to Vote? Why can't Hillary get 2 million all to herself.....?

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  10. Jack in ND

""Seat Florida and Michigan like the 14th amendment of the constitution says they have a right to.""

The 14th amendment has no jurisdiction over party primaries. Your participation in that process is a courtesy. Howard Dean could just as easily decide the Democratic nominee behind closed doors.

Your November vote is all you're entitled to.

April 23, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Lisa

So we make up the rules as we go??????Please Hillary and the people who support her are on crack. If you look at how people vote it is the more educated (those who think, listen and learn) who support him. I'm just saying. It's in the numbers. I see that our leaders are chosen mostly by those who have no idea what is going on. I am a little puzzled though...Everybody is wondering why he hasn't shut her down...The ROOKIE, is still in the game and trying to have it stolen from him. He knows how to play the game you idiots.

April 23, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Bit, Alabama

Hillary needs to stop with this MI and Fl votes! In January she stated out of her own mouth that "MI and Fl didn't count. "

This has to stop. Every time she gets desparate she wants to change the rules. How can any of the voters rally around either candidate for the fall election if this kind of thing keeps us in an uproar.

I just don't understand!

April 23, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Jodie

Hillary is the one sparking the hate. She will do anything to win and then turns it around as if Barack Obama is the negative one. Give me a break, anyone with eyes can see she is manipulating her way into what she thinks she deserves. I am a little scared at what she will say or do to accomplish her goal. If we want to make our standing with the world look better then Hillary is not the way to go. Since she has been running, she has offended the Chinese and threatened Iran with nuclear weapons. Does she not understand that this is not the way to go? Like bullying people around is going to get them to do what we want. Just look at Iraq!

April 23, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  14. ju NY

I hate this Lady. now. I did vote for her in NY but now you lost my vote. I She is very negative. I'm sick of the whole family now. I will vote for MCcain if tthe superdelegate give this to you
    She is destroying the party. Did you see what the New york paper said about you. You will never win in new york as a senate again. New York people hate you now. Repest your wife please.

April 23, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. Pa voter

Is she serious? I'm pretty sure there were Clinton people in Michigan and Florida making sure they went out and voted while the younger Obama supporters stayed home knowing it wouldn't count. This is so rediculous and very frustrating to anyone with a brain.

April 23, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. gurarro

How can Hillary Clinton sleep at night telling such lies? How can she count Michigan when she was the only person on the ballot? This woman is crazy. This campaign is crazy. If she gets the nomination fairly, I will consider voting for her. If she steals this nomination, there is no way I will vote for her. I will not vote for a president this year if she steals the nomination. That being say, a "no" vote for Hillary, is a vote for McCain. Horrible. Absolutely Horrible.

April 23, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. St. Louis

@ Mfelder; the Clintons have already lost the black votes.

April 23, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Jeff

Where is all this negative campaigning. I am so sick of the Obamawhiners! She is attacking his record and his unfulfilled promises – that's fair game and what I need to know as a voter. Attack her's instead of whining. Oh, her's is solid! That explains the whining!

And who cares if she doesn't get the black vote? She's got the Hispanics, Jews and gays and they outnumber the others. It is too bad though, since her record shows that she has done far more for Blacks in public service than Obama has . . .but if those who are unappreciative for her work are going to vacate her to vote for color, then I call them racists!

Finally, Obama-wieners, I mean whiners . . .who will you cry to when he gets attacked by the Republicans? And OMG, is he an easy target for them!!!!! We need tougher skin than what the Obama camp has demonstrated. We NEED HILLARY!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. Michigan

HILLARY CLINTON SICKENS ME. SHE IS ILL-BEHAVED AND UNTRUSTWORTHY. I DO NOT BELIEVE ONE WORD THAT COMES FROM HER MOUTH. IF SHE WINS THE NOMINATION, I'LL NOT VOTE AGAIN. HER MACHINE IS ANTIQUATED AND MIRED IN ESTABLISHMENT. SHE REPRESENTS ALL THAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICAN POLITICS AND A DYSFUNCTIONAL GOVERNMENT.

April 23, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Kathy in Oregon

To: DEE in fla -

Why do you have to HATE on Hillary?

There is obviously something WRONG with YOU.

Perhaps you don't respect yourself...therefore you are unable to show RESPECT to another (more accomplished) female?

BTW - Oregon is a very blue-collar / rural state. So you Obama folks are going to be surprised to find out how much support Hillary has in this part of the country.

Lets' just say, we are NOT the the same as Washington state voters - with all those urban Liberals up north in Seattle.

April 23, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Monica

You should ask yourself "Why does Bill, Ferarro, Ferarro again, Bill again, Lanny Davis, Ed Rendell, and BET pres., Ferarro again, Bill again (all Hillary supporters) bring up Obama's race stratigically one week after the other since SC, right before Ohio and all the way up to PA" ?

April 23, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. Golden Chica

Mr. Dean follow the 14th Amendment and seat the Michigan and Florida votes. Mr. Dean follow the 14th Amendment and seat the Michigan and Florida votes. Mr. Dean follow the 14th Amendment and seat the Michigan and Florida votes.

April 23, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. @ Zoe

"she can change"

She sure can. At one point she was a strong leader who I had respect for. Now, well, that's simply not the case. At least we agree on one thing.

April 23, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. NC Primary MY TURN!

Hillary supporters: You are missing what is going on here and falling for the same old divisive scare tactics of the past. It is good that you like her, but it is not good that you condone her racially based scare tactics. Take a second look. You know the game don't you? Doesn't it look familiar to you?

April 23, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Gbouie

Hilary, you are a member of the Democrat party, you know the rules and why Florida and Michigan broke the rules, this only portraits’ you are a typical Washington politician, the rules where made to be broken to make your point.

April 23, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |