April 23rd, 2008

TIME.com: The real winner? John McCain

Was John McCain the real winner Tuesday night?
Was John McCain the real winner Tuesday night?

A few months ago, the only people who talked about the possibility of a contested Democratic nomination fight extending all the way to the party's convention in August were hopeful pundits, desperate Republicans, and Chicken Little Democrats.

Most of the rational world looked at the political landscape and foresaw a smooth ride to victory for Democrats. They had, after all, the wind at their backs from the 2006 midterm elections, and a Republican President with record-high disapproval ratings thanks to an unpopular war and a tanking economy. The dueling landmark candidacies of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama seemed an embarrassment of riches, fueling record-breaking fundraising and bringing a flood of new voters to the party.

Full story from TIME.com

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Rick in California

I never been more disappointed and depressed in the choices. Frankly I am growing more and more apathetic. I see dark days ahead for working people and small business owners and bright and bountiful days for multi millionaires, billionaires, oil companies, government insiders, lobbyists, CEO's, military suppliers, private mercenary armies. You should not be fooled Mr/Ms Average American, the only time the Republicans give a toss about you is once every four years on election day!

I sure wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. More of the same, less
    justice for all, erosion of quality of life. I'm sure glad 70% of my life is behind me but I feel very sorry for my kids and grandkids. I'm encouraging my kids to look outside of America for peace and happiness and despite the flag waiving wackos claiming how great this country was (and is) there are places to consider that are pretty terrific.

April 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Obamacan

MCCain win? You mean Americans want another 100 years of "bomb, bomb, bomb"-ing America's enemies?

McCain won't live to see the end of his 4 year nomination IF he does win (which I highly doubt). The man is two-faced, is a HORRIBLE orator and has not the slightest idea of how to run a country in economic shambles.

As for the Billaries on this forum: YOU NEED TO SMELL THE ROSES. Billary is not going to win the nomination, and even if she does, she will be second-place (running as VP, which I highly doubt with her "elitist" she will accept).

And if it DOES come down to the SD and they vote for Billary, consider it the start of Civil War II.

OBAMA '08 and '12! :)

April 23, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. ***AMERICAN***

McCain in 08

Yes he McCan!

April 23, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Tell It Like It Is

It is hard to believe that the GOP and the DEMs cannot put forth more qualified candidates than these three. This does show that the country may be ready for more than two parties in our political system.

April 23, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. kp

If you want more war, higher gas prices, a more divided country, health care for the wealthy, an environment that is uninhabitable, and more tax cuts for the wealthy vote McCain!!!

April 23, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. aliou salam FL

Before we go to why mcCain can't win, I need us to look at this.

"Most of the rational world looked at the political landscape and foresaw a smooth ride to victory for Democrats. They had, after all, the wind at their backs from the 2006 midterm elections, and a Republican President with record-high disapproval ratings thanks to an unpopular war and a tanking economy."

Hillary was headed to be the nominee. Then things changed.

She didn't and none of her campaign staff thought the skinny havard law professor from illinois, the son of a single mom, and a half white, half black kid, would raise the money to sustain a campaign in 52 states. After all, the clintons commanded the Democrats money and political machine. This was the royal family of the Democrats besides the Kennedies.

No one predicted that the simple message of hope and change will resonate through out the nation as the battle creed for million of young, old and not so old voters, first timers or not.

No one predicted that Whites and blacks alike, latinos will overcome name recognition, elitism, status quo, and mudslinging to support that outsider Barack Obama.

What more, The miracle of surfing the wave of media guilt and greed, clinton whinning, lies, and racial divide with ease and just brush all of that off his shoulders like Barack Obama did, was something new in our political landscape.

Something really revolutionary was happening under our watch and we didn't even know it. We watch everyday as the smiling black and white orphan of both mother and father take solace in wife and children, in our $3 dollars, 25, 50 donation and carry our prayers, our hunger for change to the pundits. As he challenges all and every rule of the establishment.

Something extraordinary if not a miracle was pushing our children to stalk us from day to dusk, to vote for Obama, to support and donate to the internet, ...., The internet? I never met the man, yet I gave, using my credit card on the internet for the first and probably the last website in my life, to pay for a political party's activities, be it presidential elections.

I believe too. and millions with me. So McCain may be surfing the temporal respite, but come november when the Hillary distraction will be over, We will all take a breather and decide if we want 100 more wars and years of wars, or we will finally find out that America's and Americans' interest is right here in our large and prosperous nation, and vote Obama for our next president.

April 23, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. M.S. Indiana

and McCain will win how ?? on the war issue, or on getting us out of debt, or health care, or taking care of the veterans ????

Like lifting the federal tax on gas is going to do anything, it will be eaten up in greed in a day...

Maybe if his VP is smart there is a chance in case he slips...

April 23, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. franco

The REAL winner will be HILLARY R.CLINTON in the general election.
    Senator Clinton is truly the "tigeress" this country desperately needs
    at this time, someone with solutions, not just speeches. Now that
    Hillary has won another large state, perhaps Obama should consider
    quiting the primaries, "to save the Party". That is the same tactic his
    supporters suggested in earlier primaries, isn't it?

April 23, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |