April 24th, 2008

Jenna Bush may not back McCain

Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.
Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.

(CNN) - President Bush was quick to endorse John McCain when the Arizona senator wrapped up his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

But another Bush might not be so sure.

Speaking with CNN's Larry King Wednesday night, Jenna Bush said she hasn't decided yet who she will vote for in November.

"I don't know," Jenna Bush, daughter of President and Mrs. Bush, said when asked if she will back McCain.

"Of course [I am open]. I mean, who isn't open to learning about the candidates and I'm sure that everybody's like that," she added.

Though the younger Bush conceded she has "been too busy with books to really pay that much attention."

Meanwhile, mother Laura Bush was quick to affirm that she will be voting for the Republican candidate in the fall.

The two appeared on the show to discuss Jenna Bush's upcoming wedding next month.

"[It will be] outdoors, very small wedding, you 'know, very small, all relatives, our families, really, kind of big," Jenna Bush said. “So it's half-family and then half very close friends."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Josh

CNN-
    Please report on news. This isn't what the founders meant by freedom of the press.

April 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. j williamson

A clueless Bush? Say it ain't so!!! Next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus!

April 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. joe

Go Jenna We love you to come to Obama's camp. I think you heard him talking and He will do the best for the country too. Say it today

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Mike

Ugh, Ummm, this really inspired me!

PLEASE!!!!

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. J. Murray

I don't see why Jenna Bush's upcoming wedding is news considering the fact that her father is continuing to run this country into the ground.

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Duh

call it respect April 24th, 2008 12:29 pm ET

I can't imaging voting for someone who bashes my father everyday. Whether it be Hillary or Obama Some might call it a generation gap, I call it respect. Some would say she is smart but I would say she is disrespectful. Is there something wrong with loving your parents? or is that a thing of the past.? Oh, I forgot the youth know it all. They have been there and done that. Their parents know nothing. They want INSPIRATION!

Just because you love your parents doesn't mean you have to vote for their political party or agree with them. Parents aren't know it alls either, so young adults can make their own decisions. I feel sorry for you kids. I bet they feel your scorn every day.

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. Texan

Who cares what another blond thinks? I don't think Senator McCain needs anything from her.
    Jenna, wash my shirt.

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  8. Shane

Clearly she defies conventional wisdom that stupidity is hereditary.

My money says Jenna is voting for Obama. My money also says that she realizes the deficiencies of the Republican Party and understands we need a new bread of leadership to heal the wounds, bridge the gaps and get this country back on the progressive track.

Next we'll learn that she's been making donations to the Obama Campaign.

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. GP Geneseo Il

Who knows, yesterday it was reported that Julie Nixon Eisenhower is backing Obama....People have the right to think for themselves, not be followers....Just an interesting comment...

April 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Tracy

Jenna cares about social issues. How could she vote Republican? She won't.

April 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. J. Murray

Who cares about Jenna Bush's wedding. Because of the last eight years of her father's presidency too many people are suffering.

April 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. malik

good to know there is a single bush with a brain cell in her skull

April 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. Blake

All for Jenna to be disrespectfall to her dad say "I"

April 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. Blake

disrespectful

April 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Mike

I have gathered some numbers based on the democratic primary to show what will happen in November if Obama is the nominee.

The democratic primary is different as it shares delegates based on percentage but in the general election it is winner takes all in each state. Each state won is that many delegates to winning the overall count. So if we treat the democratic primary just like the general election this is what we are looking at against McCain.

I have taken each state that has won by Obama or Clinton and given all the delegates of that state to the majority winner. I even gave Obama all the upcoming states and made him the winner giving him the delegates from them. I did not include Florida or Michigan to avoid any argument. This includes Guam and others that are counted in the democratic primary. This is only actually won states and future states given to Obama:

Obama won 37 "states"
    Hillary won 17 "states"

However in a general election setting:

Obama delegate count: 1486
    Hillary delegate count: 1750

If you count Florida and Michigan which Hillary won and polls show that even if Obama campaigned in those states Hillary would have won them at that time:

Obama delegate count: 1486
    Hillary delegate count: 2118

If we gave Florida to Obama and Michigan to Hillary as polls suggest a primary today would give them:

Obama delegate count: 1692
    Hillary delegate count: 1907

The bottom line is that Hillary has won in a general election model based on primaries of the democratic party and even giving Obama all the next primary states coming up. The reason Hillary won is she won all the big states practically? These states are historically won by the Republican party as to why Bush beat Kerry in 2004. Therefore if Obama cannot win the big states that Republicans tend to win he has no chance against McCain in the general election. Hillary has the only chance of being a democratic president in 2008.

So do you want a Republican in office or do you want a Democrat. The choice is clear who is more electable in November.

April 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. matt

I'm sure that voters are unsure how to vote-we are all waiting to see who Jenna endorses

April 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. Mike Castro

Does anyone care who Jenna Bush is voting for anyway?

April 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. rodlang

Send her to Iraq...and where are Romney's five sons? At least McCain's son are in the Marines.

April 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. Brian (in PA)

Ummm, who cares who Jena Bush will or will not support?

April 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. frito_bandito

At least she's better looking than that dog Chelsea Clinton.

April 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  21. noans, South Pasadena

Ditto, Johnny Boy. Who cares.

April 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. Dinkytown

Now that we have Jenna Bush's pointless, uninformed comment, why doesn't CNN move on to Paris Hilton, Adam Sandler and Wally the Wonder Wombat?

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  23. Frank Lee

Who cares who Jenna Bush thinks should be president?

I'd like to live long enough to see her denounce her wretched father – that would be the most newsworthy thing she could do right now.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. @americans

Even John McCain's daughter supports Obama!

at least the younger generation have brains!

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. Dan L.

The Democrats have all of these big plans to rescue our country – what are they going to do again... RAISE TAXES???

April 24, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |