April 24th, 2008

Jenna Bush may not back McCain

Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.
Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.

(CNN) - President Bush was quick to endorse John McCain when the Arizona senator wrapped up his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

But another Bush might not be so sure.

Speaking with CNN's Larry King Wednesday night, Jenna Bush said she hasn't decided yet who she will vote for in November.

"I don't know," Jenna Bush, daughter of President and Mrs. Bush, said when asked if she will back McCain.

"Of course [I am open]. I mean, who isn't open to learning about the candidates and I'm sure that everybody's like that," she added.

Though the younger Bush conceded she has "been too busy with books to really pay that much attention."

Meanwhile, mother Laura Bush was quick to affirm that she will be voting for the Republican candidate in the fall.

The two appeared on the show to discuss Jenna Bush's upcoming wedding next month.

"[It will be] outdoors, very small wedding, you 'know, very small, all relatives, our families, really, kind of big," Jenna Bush said. “So it's half-family and then half very close friends."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Anonymous

Is there anyone in this family that can speak without sounding like a six-year-old?

April 24, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Gail

Oh great another young one hypnotized by Obama?

April 24, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. John Forte

This is just a ploy for CNN to make a story so mccain gets free publicity. I thought his campaign was going bankrupt. This power crisis is rediculous.

April 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Pat Huntington NY

I'm the son of two republican parents, the brother of a republian sister, the brother in law of my sister's republican husband, and I am a loyal democrat. So, you see Jenna, you can be the smartest person in your family if you vote for the Democrat.

April 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Roger

ARMSTRONG, NC – IN for Obama, Cammi317,

How did you get that she was backing Obama out of that? I don't care who she backs, but some Obama supporters are really sounding creepy.

April 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. One of Bush's 30% of supporters

She didn't say that she wouldn't be voting for McCain in November, so don't get too excited Obamabots. She just said she doesn't know. If you watched the program you would be able to tell that she didn't look too interested in the topic anyway. I imagine that if she votes, she will vote for the man or woman who most represents her way of thinking; whether that be to the right (McCain) to the left (Hillary) or off the charts flaming liberal leftist (Obama) is up to her. It was a good show last night.

April 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. Ludovic

Mc Cain will have a very BIG problem with the young vote this fall

April 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. zig

sad... i see comments about the worse president.. did we forget about the bay of pigs?... or wait maybe jimmy carter.. whitch who is really to blam for irag, oh wait and we cant forget nixon! on no nixon was great even tho he had to resign, oh wait and lets not forget the vietnam war shall we? man im only 18 and i know more history then adults! the youth and the adults in this nation to quit there crap, remeber there past... and shut up

Oh and if bush read this thanks for the eagle scout letter

Eagle Scout Patrick

April 24, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. Jones

Typical CNN bias. What she said was she had not yet decided. She might not vote for Clinton or Obama either. Can CNN say that? No, because it would not make the Democratic Party point. Who runs CNN?

April 24, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. Johnny Boy

Another spoiled rich little girl, just what the world needs, right?

April 24, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Praetorian, Fort Myers

There are many other possibilities–rather than Democrat and Republican. She may vote Libertarian, Write-In, or other candidates that will eventually appear on the ballot.

Considering the incredibly poor options we have representing both major parties-this option has crossed my mind once or twice.

April 24, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. James

Real worthy of news, eh? And a frontpager! Wow!

April 24, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. donny

Maybe she's beyond smart and she'll endorse Hillary.

April 24, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Ann

There is no reason for older Americans to worry about the future of this country; it is in the hands of the best young people I have seen in my sixty nine years.

I am encouraged by the willingness of the young of this country to choose their leaders by quality rather than color. Just look at them at Obam functions.

I applaud the young people of this country. You will be just fine. God Bless All of You.

April 24, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Jay

Who really cares what Jenna Bush thinks, the world will be better off once the bush family is out of politics

April 24, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. jamdownpete

Yeah, I do not understand why this is news!!? Furthermore, she WILL vote Republican in November. Why are being being so gullible that she will not!???? It just makes for interesting news to say that she will not vote for McBush. Come on people!!! I expect more sense from you all.

April 24, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. Jose'

Who cares?

The majority of the rest of this country will support him.

John McCain is the only one in the running capable of running this country.

Hillary and Obama are the only ones capable of RUINING it.

April 24, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. John

So Jenna hasn't been paying attention. I guess she takes after her father.

April 24, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Tyler Carpenter

Wow Jenna Bush just earned my full respect. I did not expect someone from the Bush family to be open minded about politics. I guess that just goes to show that this generation has different priorities and a clearer vision of the future.

Go Obama.

April 24, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  20. Grif

Maybe she would also (Secretly), imagine an alternative.... A Woman??

April 24, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. Jay

I love how the Obama Cult thinks that she would be voting for Obama. Please...My two daughters are smart and are voting for Hillary. They are not under his spell. Im sure Jenna is smart enough to vote for Hillary and not Obama.

April 24, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  22. Jan From Florida

How could the daughter of the present President not vote for a republican or does she agree with 70% of the American people that
    the republicans have ruined this country?

April 24, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. roger

I would hate to be like Laura Bush who has lost her identy regarding politics, her being a former democrat, ALWAYS makes it clear she is supporting the republican candidate regardless of who it is, no questions asked .....I guess it is true to become a republican you must be brainwashed...(or brain dead)

April 24, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. tj

Oh, all Obamains jumped immediately in.
    She has not mentioned his name. Calm down.
    Not everybody are in love with your golden boy as you are.
    Some have more brains and they think beflore voting for arrogant smooth talker

April 24, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. Shelly from WI

yea, she really does sound like a Closet Obama....Obamicans united lol.

April 24, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |