April 24th, 2008

Jenna Bush may not back McCain

Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.
Laura Bush and daughter Jenna appeared on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday.

(CNN) - President Bush was quick to endorse John McCain when the Arizona senator wrapped up his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

But another Bush might not be so sure.

Speaking with CNN's Larry King Wednesday night, Jenna Bush said she hasn't decided yet who she will vote for in November.

"I don't know," Jenna Bush, daughter of President and Mrs. Bush, said when asked if she will back McCain.

"Of course [I am open]. I mean, who isn't open to learning about the candidates and I'm sure that everybody's like that," she added.

Though the younger Bush conceded she has "been too busy with books to really pay that much attention."

Meanwhile, mother Laura Bush was quick to affirm that she will be voting for the Republican candidate in the fall.

The two appeared on the show to discuss Jenna Bush's upcoming wedding next month.

"[It will be] outdoors, very small wedding, you 'know, very small, all relatives, our families, really, kind of big," Jenna Bush said. “So it's half-family and then half very close friends."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Richard, FL

Finally, a Bush that is worth our respect.

April 24, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Chris

Could she be more like her father...another idot Bush...she`ll probably be president someday with doublespeak like that.

April 24, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. Will

Who cares who Ms Bush will "endorse" any more than who Amy Carter will support. this is not news.
    The opinion of a twice convicted underage alcoholic, is worthless.
    Maybe she's back on the bottle because she' so confused, and needs to "learn more" about the candidates." Can any Secret Service Agent please call 911, she needs help.

April 24, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Coloradan

I completely agree with "Ashaki".

Who CARES what the daughter of the WORST president in US history thinks?

Over 4000 dead soldiers, just in Iraq, none of the unemployed Bush kids volunteering to serve in the Armed Forces, and pithy comments like this.

A-B-S-U-R-D

April 24, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Peter

Raise your hand if you woke up this morning or yesterday morning worrying about who Jenna Bush was voting for or wondering about her wedding plans.

April 24, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. Santosh-Philadelphia

She really should have said that it's private and she's not saying. Now what's going to happen is that they are going to keep bugging her through the election to see if she made up her mind yet.

My guess is that she definitely would NOT support Obama. She's probably divided between the other 2 only b/c Clinton is a woman (which should inspire her) and plus she and her family of course know the Clintons personally and are friends even though they may criticize each other in the public arena.

But given that her fiance' is a strategist for the party, I'm sure she'll wind up supporting McCain.

April 24, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. Bendo

Jenna Bush? who is that?

April 24, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. bo, NC

Good at least she's opened her eyes to what is best for the country.

April 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  9. Terry, El Paso TX

It has always bugged me that the Bush girls did not volunteer for the military. Their dad was comfortable sending our children to Iraq, but his girls were going to fancy universities and eating quiche. Now, I have no interest in what either of them thinks.

April 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. Bendo

Jenna Bush? who is she?

April 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. Cathy

I knew there was something special about Jenna. Good thinking... and to announce her thoughts on Larry King Live...how brave.

April 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. David

Armstrong – what are you, an idiot? Jenna Bush did not say who she is voting for. She could very well be voting for McCain or Hillary or Obama. She did not say. Nothing Jenna said was courageous. She is getting ready for her wedding. What's the big courageousness there?

April 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. mizree

Wow...now that's refreshing to know.

April 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  14. rdog

oBAMA supporter.. does she get the shiver when he speaks?

April 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  15. Dave

Headline: Socks and Buddy endorse Obama!!!!

I'm just saying, it would mean just as much...

April 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  16. Scott, Wichita

So, why is it when she says maybe not, the press corps jumps on it, and when the daughter of certain candidate who shall remain nameless refuses to answer a legitimate question, the questioner is the one who gets jumped on?

Read it again, she never said she wouldn't be, just that she was open to all the candidates. That isn't the same as endorsing Obama, it just means that she was smart enough not to get swept up by the mindless fanatics who go around on these articles proclaiming why their candidate is best, even when it has nothing to do with the article...

April 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  17. IAMWMD

She's a lot smarter that George Dubya

April 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. ANDY JACOBS

My friend knows the bush twins and they are backing obama.

April 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. Sad Dog

You're kidding me, CNN. THIS is what you call NEWS? Who cares what this little, young, pampered girl thinks, or any celebrity for that reason?

April 24, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. Porter

Jenna Bush is undecided. Wow, thanks for the update. I won't be able to sleep until she decides. Please let us know ASAP! Or at least give us updates periodically letting us know that she still hasn't decided.

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  21. Sharon Minnesota

It never ceases to amaze me how the Obama supporters can come up with the most sarcastic, mean and abusive propaganda on ANY subject. If you don't believe me, check out all the other CNN blogs and you will get laser burns in your eyes.

That's what we have to look forward to if he ever gets the power of the presidency. His supporters will be embolden to abuse anyone at any time.
    Jenna stick with your family party and support McCain. If that's not for you, you should jump ship to Hllary Clinton's side, but NEVER Barack Obama.

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  22. Bingham

She is not supporting him, because she is thinking Obama or Hillary. It is because he is not "right" enough.

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  23. JV

Here we have another good example of the press making their own news. Who cares about the opinions of dumb and dumber? do we remember the remarkable appearance of the "president"s"" offsprings during the 2004 convention? forgive me for my poor english.
    By the way I have a question. When Larry King planning to retire?

JV

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. Adrienne

I have to say that an insinuation that all "smart" young voters know who a "true leader" is is a tad insulting. I happen to be a 21-year-old registered voter who is also a member of the honors program at a world-renowned private university, and I will most definitely be casting my ballot for John McCain this fall. The only thing that this article proves is that Jenna Bush is intelligent enough to educate herself about the candidates and their policies before voting; I sadly have to admit that a large majority of my generation (and many previous generations, apparently) refuse to educate themselves but are willing to vote for a candidate simply because of the letter appearing behind their name or else the respective demographic they fall into.

It's time for the candidates to stop touting their race and/or gender and start discussing the issues that are crucial to the survival of this country; if you are voting based on anything else, I hope you sleep through November 4th.

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. Wayne, Greenville TX

If Jenna comes out and endorses Barack Obama, will her daddy's head explode????

April 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |