April 24th, 2008

Obama picks up Oregon superdelegate

Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.
Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.

(CNN) - Oregon Rep. David Wu said Thursday he will cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

"I think we are blessed to have two strong candidates for president," Wu said in a statement released by Obama's campaign. "I am endorsing Barack Obama for president today because I believe that he is best suited to turn the page on this sorry episode in American history. He and I both had the judgment to oppose the Iraq War from the very beginning.

Wu, a five term congressman, is one of the party's nearly 800 superdelegates who will ultimately decide who gets the Democratic presidential nomination. He is the second Oregon superdelegate to endorse Obama ahead of the state's May 20 primary - Rep. Earl Blumenauer endorsed the Illinois senator earlier in the year.

Clinton also has two Oregon superdelegates in her camp - Gov. Ted Kulongoski and Rep. Darlene Hooley.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. James, Houston, TX.

Rep. Wu is a Super Delegate ? Whew, In Texas we say, "He's got a Good Head" for Tamales, Maybe ! The lingo is that Hog Heads are used in making tamales.
    Obama is getting to the Nut Cutting; It is what it Is !

April 24, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. MEG

It is my opinion that these delegates that promise their vote in Nov. can change their minds between now and then. There will be some that will, so who can count on any of them that procmise now?

April 24, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Max

. . . .OBAMA / WU 08.

Yes We Can.

April 24, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. Sandy in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Thank you David Wu!!!! Let the Hillary supporters put you down – comments about your nationality, your HEAD? If you had come out in support of the duo – Hill and Bill – they would be reaping praise all over you. But because you had the courage to say 'no' to the Clinton political machine, Hillary's supporters will try and discount you for whatever reason. Great to have you aboard the Obama train!!!!!

April 24, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  5. Serge the DEM

Thank you for your endorsement Mr. Wu!

Obama '08!!!!

April 24, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Phong Nguyen

If the Iraqi war had been well planned and executed and the country has been stabilized... such is the dream of President George Bush!

April 24, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Joe

Stupid is and stupid says my momma always said!!! He is as a big enough clown as Hiliary and Obama!!!

April 24, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Todd, Kenosha, WI

Thanks Senator Wu,
    The American people that still value the cornerstones of what America was built on such as truth, honesty, integrity appreciate your vote for Senator Obama today. Hillary for the sake of the party, please stop the lies and the tall stories. It is time to bring the party back together to stop this maddness. You are only tearing the party apart further each day YOU allow it to continue. McCain's chance to bring the Country further down the wrong path are increasing exponentially as time goes by.

Disgusted Ex-Clinton supporter

April 24, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Joe

PS: To Concerned Democrat: You obvisouly are not from China...you could be SHOT for saying things like that! Oh, that's right...this is America...I sacrificed for 25 years so you my friend could make such an uneducated comment such as that!!!

April 24, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Margo Murphy

Bottom line. Senator Obama does not have the experience needed for be President. He is a very young senator w/o an established voting record. His voting record while an Illinois Senator is shaky at best. Who knows what he really believes? Black/white, male/female. Senator Obama does not get my vote. We've had eight years of far right attitudes. I do not think this country needs another 4-8 years of far left attitdues. It's Senator's Clinton or McCain from this long life Democrat.

April 24, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Tim

That's what I'm talking about. The flood is beginning.

Obama 08/12

April 24, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Oregon has Hope and wants change

A lot of people here are upset with our Governer for endorsing Huckabee Clinton

He must not want to be re elected in the future

Jean

April 24, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. CeeJay

Come on Superdelegates. Close the deal and show Hillary that the American people are ready for change and unity.

April 24, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  14. A vote AGAINST Obama

Here we go again. ONE more person deciding what is right for millions. The popular vote no longer counts but it will when these superdelegates are out of their offices sitting on their behinds and wondering what went wrong. REMEMBER OBAMA will be their call.
    I am not elderly, I am educated which is why I realize that Hillary is the best canidate. It will break my heart to vote for McCain but I will if Clinton is not on the ticket.

April 24, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. cachito

JDM......you captured my sentiments exactly. Thanks

April 24, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  16. Oregonian

Thanks Rep. Wu for making a smart choice on behalf of Oregon! (Now please have a talk with Rep. DeFazio and Sen. Wyden to get them to commit too.)

April 24, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. Ohio Gal

OBAMA 08" WHAT THIS COUNRTY NEEDS.

EMBRACE THE CHANGE

OBAMA 08"

April 24, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. Texan for Progression

WOW...read "Chang Rules, So I Can't Lose" above. When I read the name I figured it was an Obama supporter being sarcastic. I'm completely flabbergasted... Your inability to recognize irony in your comment is exactly what has you mentally crippled to the point that you can support Clinton. The characteristics Clinton has displayed during this campaign are identical to those displayed by the Bush administration during the past 8 years. I have no reason to believe that she, much like McCain, wouldn't yield the same results as Bush on an international scale. One other note...isn't it interesting how the states that Clinton is predicted to win are "crucial" states and how her eventual wins are blown out of proportion; while Obama's states are marginalized? Why isn't there any pressure for Clinton to win North Carolina?

April 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. CALIFORNIA - LIL G

All,
    I am a registered independent. I am thinking about voting for a democrat in November, but if all of this negative campaiging doesn't end soon and I mean real soon, I will have to vote for Mr McCain!

We all should be focusing on healthcare, education for our kids, the economy, millions of people have either lost or getting ready to lose their homes, gas prices out here in California already OVER $4.00 a gallon!

Somebody, anybody, please HELP us ALL! Please STOP the PAIN!
    Is anybody listening? George Bush are you listening? Does anybody hear me? Some body, smoebody, please HELP!

Lisa

April 24, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  20. Paul

Gee, now that's a surprise coming from that political wasteland!

April 24, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. Sheila Shaw

OBAMA BE ENCOURAGED MANY ARE READY FOR A CHANGE
    AND YOU WILL WIN IT'S A TEST OF YOUR FAITH....HOLD TIGHT

THIS ALONE HAS CAUSED MORE ENITY IN THIS COUNTRY
    THAN IN THE HISTORY OF TIME. I WAS SO EXCITED AT THE
    RESPONDENCE OF THE MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL CHILDREN
    IN NEW YORK, THIS IS AN EDUCATION IN AMERICAN POLITIC
    WHICH MANY HAD LOSS ALL HOPE OF ANY
    TRUSTWORTHINESS EVERY BEING ESTABLISHED AGAIN IN
    OUR GOVERNMENT.

I ADMIRE YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE TRUTHFUL AND HONEST
    YOUR CHARACTER OUTNUMBERS MOST ON CAPITOL HILL.

April 24, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. bigben

Looks like this guy just got off the boat

April 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. Misty

Awesome! David Wu– Perfect Choice in Obama

I hope the Clinton Supporters realize what a caniving, evil, lying person Senator Hillary Clinton is. She has used every sleazy technique to get ahead in Primaries (and is still way behind Senator Obama). The fact that she claims she has popular votes!!! (After she counts Florida and Michigan (Obama's name was not in Michigan) is Ludicrous. Next she can have oly Clinton Supporters vote for her and claim that 100% people love her and she should be the President. Maybe Senator Clinton with her Cheating Husband should move to Timbaktu!!! and leave the good people of USA pick OBAMA for President.

Go Obama ('08, '12)

April 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. Now a Wu Fan

Good choice Mr. Wu! What took you so long?

Superdelegates....If you don't know who to vote for by now, you have some serious credibility issues. We'll be keeping an eye on you!

April 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  25. Chunnie2008

roy p and all the others like you, why dont you just shut up you idiots. The hand writing in on the wall, he is a winner already, because she cant win, the math is not there, and the SD cannot go against the popular votes, else there will be hell to pay, and I mean there will be HELL TO PAY.

April 24, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |