April 24th, 2008

Obama picks up Oregon superdelegate

Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.
Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.

(CNN) - Oregon Rep. David Wu said Thursday he will cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

"I think we are blessed to have two strong candidates for president," Wu said in a statement released by Obama's campaign. "I am endorsing Barack Obama for president today because I believe that he is best suited to turn the page on this sorry episode in American history. He and I both had the judgment to oppose the Iraq War from the very beginning.

Wu, a five term congressman, is one of the party's nearly 800 superdelegates who will ultimately decide who gets the Democratic presidential nomination. He is the second Oregon superdelegate to endorse Obama ahead of the state's May 20 primary - Rep. Earl Blumenauer endorsed the Illinois senator earlier in the year.

Clinton also has two Oregon superdelegates in her camp - Gov. Ted Kulongoski and Rep. Darlene Hooley.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Vote Hillary

Obama has left us with enough hints as to what he's about and we need to take them before it's too late. He has stated that the reason he's running for president now as opposed to later is because "in eight years from now, 10 years from now, we may still be nice people, but we may be in this orbit where we just don’t remember, we don’t hear people’s voices anymore." That's his quote referring to a discussion that he and his wife had. According to Obama, being a Washington politician will change him. This is not the change we were talking about!

April 24, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Helena

Thank you Congressman Wu! Obama has picked up more superdelegates since PA. More are sure to follow – I believe this was 4 for Obama since PA! Go Obama – my 89 year old father & 63 year old mother-in-law voted for you too!

April 24, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Jerri

Good choice. Way to go. Welcome aboard the honest and willing team.

April 24, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. OCA

IT IS ONLY "WHEN" NOT "IF' OBAMA WINS...

No one said it would be easy to break a 20 year quasie monarchy hold on the whitehouse by two families one of which is striving for another 8. Our campaign is not about win at any price, do what ever it takes to win, and if need be, destroy your opponent in the process. Make Promise’s you know you can not keep to win. Real change means just that. A new appraoch, a new fresh set of ideas, a new person, someone who can bring us all together not tear us apart.

Talking points will not change the reality. The rules, the math, the calandar does not lie and can not be changed. Obama will have won more pledged delegates, more states and more votess. He should expect the remaining superdelegates to vote for him accordingly. They will.

April 24, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Denis

I can stand anything about him. I absolutely hate BULL S _ _T rhetoric and that is the ONLY thing that he is good at. SPIN SPIN SPIN

April 24, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. Al

For months I have been reading and listening to everything out there. Obviously people are looking for change, either way both candidates represent this, imagine the United States a superpower electing a woman or a black man for president that would be amazing, all of our past presidents have been older (senior) white men. I support Mr.Obama 100% but if he were not running I would have supported J.Edwards.
    I do not know if anyone out there has thought of the following but picture this, right now the US economy is in the hole, our dollar is falling at a ridiculous pace due to all the government spending, there is no answer to the housing problem and our enemies are laughing at how we act toward each other.
    Mr.Obama has tried not to fall into the same category, but I do agree there comes a time where he has to defend himself.
    There has to be a point where we sit back and ask ourselves who we want to represent us out there...Our enemies and those who are unsure of our stability unfortunately come from a different world, they do not view many things the way we do. I don't know about everyone else but I know that one day we will have a woman president I just don't think that given the situation we are in, this is the time or that Clinton is the right choice, people hear her name and remember Bill Clinton’s presidency, fyi he is not running.
    Mr. Obama reflects before he speaks, his ideas are full of possibilities; he is a diplomat at heart. That makes me feel sure of his ability to represent my country, face to face, before other nation’s leaders. I believe that he represents change for a better tomorrow.
    As a mother and business owner I tend to look to the future...

April 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Angel B

April 24th, 2008 3:39 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Rolling out endorsements after crushing defeats seems so transparent. First it was Judas Bill Richardson after bad losses in TX & OH now its this WU guy after the slaughter in PA.

1.2 Million just endorsed Hillary in PA and those speak louder than MR Wu's or Judas Bills endorsements.

Go Hillary all the way in 08!!!!

April 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. Angel B

April 24th, 2008 3:39 pm
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    What part of comment needs moderation?
    The part that 1.2 million people in PA endorsed Hillary on April 22nd?
    Come on CNN, stop being so Pro OBAMA...

Go Hillary all the way in 08!!!!

April 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Canada vox

PAY ATTENTION " TOO LATE"", WHEN OBAMA MADE THE SHOULDER BRUSHING MOTION, HE WAS NOT BRUSHING OFF CLINTON SUPPORTERS, BUT RATHER ALL THE INSULTS AND BULL THAT SHE HAS THROWN HIS WAY. NOT ONLY IS CLINTON A SPINNER, BUT HER SUPPORTERS ALSO SEEM DIZZY FROM OVER GYRATING.

April 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Susan, TX

I'm a republican and I'm voting OBAMA...even my parents are voting for him and they are in their late 70's. I'm fed up with the Republican Party and I can't believe I just filled up my car today at $3.50/gal. That is so insane especially when I live only 3 hours away from the refinery's.

April 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Dan

Hillary is still ahead on superdelegates! They'll realise she is the best candiddate because she has won the big states, blue-collar workers and the elderly etc.
    HILLARY 2008

April 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Danny

Mr. Wu you got the Wrong guy boy........please don't vote for him. You know he the liar let read his story first. He lied about NAFTA, lied about relationship with Mr. Rezko, lied about meeting Auchi, lied about not sitting in the church when Rev. Wright preached about vile racial hatred and anti-Americans, lied about his parents receiving scholarship from
    Kennedys and lied about being constitutional professor.

Hillary 08 President.

April 24, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Obama Loser

Obama will LOSE!

Even if he wins the Democratic nomination, alot of Democrats see Obama for what he truly is. He is a racist and Anti-American. All one has to do is read his books and wallah, all the answers.

Myself and talking to my Democrat friends all said they would not vote for a racist and someone who is Anti-American like Obama. So if there is a choice between the Anti-American Obama and a true red blooded American like McCain, well let's just say ole Dean f-d this one up for the Democrats.

April 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. NO WAY

From Dreams Of My Father;

“I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds,” he wrote in “Dreams.” “One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved — such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time.”

April 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. NO WAY

From Dreams Of My Father;

“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists.”

April 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. NO WAY

From “Dreams of My Father.” page 229,

“THERE WERE NO CIGAR CHOMPING CRACKERS LIKE BULL CONNOR OUT THERE.” The use of “cracker” was unnecessary and salacious.

April 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. paul oregon

thank you mr.wu will not be forgotten. imade acomit eariler this moring abount how long it would take the superdel. to figure billary is making them look stupid thanks mr. wu

April 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. jeff

Good choice!

April 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. OMG WHAT?

From Dreams Of My Father;

“The emotion between the races could never be pure….. THE OTHER RACE (WHITE) WOULD ALWAYS REMAIN JUST THAT: MENACING, ALIEN AND APART”

April 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Nikita

What? No more debating for Obama? We, the people, demand debates in North Carolina and Indiana.

April 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. Please don't delete it's nice bout Obama

Obama is a cool African American.

April 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Kel from Auburn, AL

Wu-hoo! Welcome aboard!

Obama 08!

April 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. Joseph Adewole

I am sure the Governor will change his mind very soon.

April 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. George Z

Those pro-Obama comments indeed remind me that the age of the majority of Obama’s supporters is between 18 and 30. Don’t forget we are not electing rock star for hall of fame. We are electing president who can decide death and live.

April 24, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Simone

THANK YOU SD WU!

You know what is the truth and you can see how the Clintons and their campaign are destroying the Party. Why is it that the rest of the SD's don't see it?

Obama is truthful, honest and trustworthy! The Clintons are nasty bad acting and use to be Republicans and they are Very good friends with McCain. All I have to say is Watergate, Travelgate, Monica, impeachment, the library, etc.

Simone