April 24th, 2008

Obama picks up Oregon superdelegate

Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.
Rep. Wu is supporting Obama.

(CNN) - Oregon Rep. David Wu said Thursday he will cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

"I think we are blessed to have two strong candidates for president," Wu said in a statement released by Obama's campaign. "I am endorsing Barack Obama for president today because I believe that he is best suited to turn the page on this sorry episode in American history. He and I both had the judgment to oppose the Iraq War from the very beginning.

Wu, a five term congressman, is one of the party's nearly 800 superdelegates who will ultimately decide who gets the Democratic presidential nomination. He is the second Oregon superdelegate to endorse Obama ahead of the state's May 20 primary - Rep. Earl Blumenauer endorsed the Illinois senator earlier in the year.

Clinton also has two Oregon superdelegates in her camp - Gov. Ted Kulongoski and Rep. Darlene Hooley.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Kenneth M

WU-HU! THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT. SLOW AND STEADY. HILLARY IS GOING DOWN IN LURCHES. OBAMA IS GROWING STEADY.

April 24, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. ShannonL

I love it. The closer Obama gets to the nomination, the closer McCain gets to the White House.

He's not ready. He is going to get ripped apart.

April 24, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. D

I am a new voter, of hispanic decent, female over 35 if you listen to the polls I’m supposed to be a Clinton voter but unlike some people I actually have a mind of my own and one thing is very clear to me, If barack obama was the one who had no chance of catching up in the pledged delegates, who had lost most states, who had no chance of catching up in the popular votes but tried to add Florida and Michigan to justify being able to lie to voters and say he is winning, I can guarantee you that he would have been laughed and ridiculed out of town and his political career would have been over. Yet, because it is hillary Clinton doing all of this it seems to be ok, it seems to be allowed which is very disappointing to a new voter like myself.
    Why are the democratic leaders so afraid of the Clintons? Why is the press so afraid of the Clintons? I expected to see headlines saying “hillary Clinton lying again” I expected to see a letter from the DNC clearly stating that the rules of the democratic party is that the candidate is elected based on the delegates and also making it clear that florida and michigan’s votes cannot be used to try to manipulate and lie to voters. Yet nothing from the DNC and the press is playing along with the Clintons and helping them to propagate this lie. I am very disappointed and plan to stay home if the candidacy is handed over to the Clintons.

April 24, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. Johnny

I'm glad there are people who are not swayed by the Hillary camp's negative spin. It makes me laugh how she can do something and turn around and accuse Obama of the same thing. He could have opened a can of worms with regards to the Whitewater scandal or any of her convicted felons, but nope, he's taking the high road.
    She's willing to say and do anything to win no matter the cost. She'll take Obama's messages of "yes we can" and "change", etc and act as if it was her idea. She'll lie about things she's said and done and weasel out of it with words like "I mispoke". Who says that? She lied. I would have had so much respect for her if she just admitted it. It was the last straw for me.

Last year I was looking forward to Hillary being the first woman president. Now, through her own actions I hope that she never gets the chance. Go Obama!!!

April 24, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. patrick b

"Great to hear you opposed the war, Wu. . .now, why don't you ask your boy why he did nothing to stop it once he was in the Senate. Oh, that's right, he was busy running for president. What a guy." While Hillary backed Bush all the way? Funny coming from a Hillary supporter.

April 24, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Jason - KY

Bubba

Through your written words you are showing your dislike towards people that don't look like you. Were I'm from we call that a character flaw, you might want to work on that.

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. Herman A. Nkwate

Obama needs just about 290 delegates to close the deal. So the remaining super delegates better join him. If not when he is finally President, he will not smile back at them. No place for Clinton's supper delegates in Obama's government.

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. steven g.

man i cant wait to see this race over with HRC.......and i hate the question that i keep seeing " is america ready for a black president".....come on what does that have to do with anything really??? just cuase hes black doesnt mean he thinks diffrently then me or you....hes an american citizen and the right choice for president and if you cant see that then u need to get your head out of your .............

OBAMA 08!!!

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. Juliemn

Another person with a negative attitude toward the U.S for Obama. He should be proud ,he has almost every anti-america,hateful person or organization behind him... SPEAKS VOLUMES

please post this for the SD.

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. mrpaust

Wu is an enlightened Democrat. By which we mean one who cares more about the health of his Party than propping up a family Dynasty that is drawing its last breath from the tired politics of yesterday.

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. joseph

The media have to stop playing this kind of politics. It seems there're supporting hillary otherwise how can they say that she won with 10%.Who is doing that mathematics? For GODS sake that is not 10%. Meanwhile i bow for Rep. WU!!!

April 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Josephine

Welcome aboard Rep.WU,You made an excelent choice.

The kind of politics that the desperate Clinton's are playing is so much like the Republicans.

Hillary should let the Republicans do their own dirty work for them selves.

After all of the low tactics that they are using, should she gets the nomination, it's going to be (PRESIDENT Mc CAINE)

April 24, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Jason - KY

Marc

I guess you are new to this country or to politics. The war started two years before he became a Senator. What cave have you been living in for the last decade?

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. skylark

Not all old people are Clinton supporters. Some of us care about the future. Some of us remember the horrible scandals and humiliation the Clintons put us through. Some of us remember being a laughing stock in the world because of them. Some of us know it was not strength for Hillary to stay with Bill when his multiple affairs were disclosed. It was weakness. Or maybe she just wanted to keep riding his soiled coat tails to the presidency. I am 69 years old. I remember everything. So does the GOP. And do not think they will be as retiscent as Mr Obama to drag out all the dirty laundry. There is much much more of it. Corrupt is a nice word.

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. Carl

Please, Obama supporters, explain to me why you choose him using his policies only.

I doubt many of you know what I'm talking about anyway, so prove me wrong.

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Vince Los Angeles, CA

While Hillary runs around screeching lies about how she is "ahead in the popular vote", Obama has picked up 3 Superdelgates in the last 24 hours. Despite every effort on Hillary's part to draw Obama into a knife fight, he has run an clean, organized, efficient, POSITIVE campaign. If Hillary gets the nomination it will be a sad commentary on how many uninformed, uneducated, ignorant people decide how America is governed.

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. nikki

For all of the "intelligent" people out there who are claiming that the road to the white house goes through PA, I just have one comment...Gore and Kerry both won PA...and look what that got us 8 years of Bush...no thanks....WAKE UP PEOPLE...

OBAMA 08'

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. owl

Welcome aboard and thank you sir......
    Owl....Obama '08

April 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. @americans

welcome aboard the "CHANGE EXPRESS" Rep David Wu!

YES WE CAN – GO OBAMA!!!!

April 24, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Carl

Also, I'd like to add many of you saying stuff like...

"We thank you for your support" or "you have joined us..."

I'm sorry, but OBAMA is running for pres, not any of you people. You can't even distinguish yourselves from Obama, so GET OVER YOURSELVES.

April 24, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. Jay

Obama is going to let a lot of people down when he does not win. He has made so many under the table deals that its sad.

April 24, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Carl

Jason – KY April 24th, 2008 2:21 pm ET

Billy

People like you and comments like yours are exactly why this country has lost its status in the global interaction. Poor judgement on your part but I guess poor judgement is what most Clinton supports have in common.

Then what does this whole argument from Jason say about how democrats have voted the past 30 years... you are equally responsible for poor judgement, so stop sounding ilke you are better... we are AMERICANS you elitist snobs.

April 24, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Peter

Obama supporters NOW suggest Mr. Wu as Vice President

Hillary 08

April 24, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Yes we can!

The clinton campaign needs to stop crying foul with Michigan and Florida....people do the math....right now if you include the votes from these states, he still leads with over 100,000 in the popular vote and with NC coming and he'll probably will half of the remaining states, she will still be behind.....her camaign staff needs to tell her this, so she can come up with another strategy to "steal" the nomination.....

April 24, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. wolfsbane

The tide's not Turning, that's a TIDAL WAVE. Go Obama!

April 24, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |