April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. Anthony-Minneapolis,MN

Richardson is right but I would one up him further, I believe the Clintons intend to steal the nomination or the minimum hurt Obama so badly and give Republicans ammunition against Obama. She is acting like a spoiled child how decides to take her ball home and cry because she isn't getting her way.

I believe you can no longer have a rational discussion with Hillary Clinton supporters because I believe they are to ignorant, to uneducated to understand something as complex as if you don't beat Obama in the last 10 primaries by a margin of 65% to 35% you can even get close to his numbers to say this should go to the convention.

April 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. K

Mike in Virginia,
    Amen! I think "Urban" was left off the moniker...

April 24, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. GG

I watched him on Larry King... The man (the Gov) needs help. There's no other way to describe Gov. Richardson than to say SEXIST.

Gov, this question is for you. Do you wish you could have made it this far, instaed of Hillary?

I still think you are let down..

By the way, there's no throne. People vote here.

April 24, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Independent

Seriously, Carville scares the CRAP out of me. I find him even scarier than Hillary.

April 24, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. c

mike in va....they probably got their education same as everyone else,our shotty education system. been this way for years,just takes some to leave school and realize how bad and wrong it was.

April 24, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Audy

I think Richardson is pathetic. I have been in many a chat room and out into the community and they people who are the rudest are the Obama supporters who are claiming the whites are racist. I don't understand where he gets off with this line of attack. If a Clinton supporter says something we demonize them, but if an Obama supporter says something it's the word of God. I tell you what if there was ever more of a Bias in this country I've never seen it, and I hope after this is over everyone realizes the truth! I can't believe I am actually still in the democratic party. I will tell you one thing though... after the treatment Obama supporters have given me I don't think I will ever support him!

April 24, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. Pragmatist, SoCal

The Clintons seem to have their supporters hypnotized. When Obama was campaigning on Hope and a unified NATION (vs the divisive red/blue, black/white, rich/poor, blue collar/ educated), THE CLINTONS were the first to inject race into the running. Where they didnt lead with the negativity they fueled it. When Obama FINALLY hit back – oh, NOW he is a negative campaigner. so its OK for the Clintons to be – just no one else.

They dismiss states who vote for Obama as insignificant, voters who vote for him as silly and inexperienced – dumb, they comment that they superdelegates who back him are "irrelevant and insignificant". The only time any of these count is whenever SHE benefits.

I started this process with very high regards for both her and her husband, but the longer this goes on the more my respect and admiration diminishes, buried under the pettiness alnd length to which they and their supporters, surrogates and mouthpieces are willing to go to get a nomination.....sad....

April 24, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Quinn - PA

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    It was Okay when he was the Clinton's Court Jester!

Now he's looking for a place in the Obama kingdom!

April 24, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. WH

Who are all these young and educated supporters? Are you talking about high school students because that's who he is counting on. New young voters and anybody that will sign up and vote.....for him.

Again I ask the question because on the rallies I have seen, the people sitting behind Obama are neither young or look educated.

April 24, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Joanne

What a shame. Richardson is so bitter no pun intended. Obviously, he dislikes the Clintons for personal reasons and this is not a reason to hurt Hillary or to humiliate her in this way. Obama and Richardson are both very arrogant. He is angry but Hillary was not the {PRESIDENT) that gave him the opportunity of his lifetime. How easily they forget. What a shame. Hillary is a woman with great intellect and her own person. How dare he demean her that way. I think the media is doing this adequately.

Friends like him they do not need enemies. Jamal said something last evening that was very disturbing. He could not get over how angry the Black people were towards the Clinton's during his Radio call-in. This tells me they are voting for Obama for all the wrong reasons.
    Wow!!!!!!
    Please do not say this is not voting because of RACE. It is. I hope the American people wake-up because there is good in both these people but Obama just does not get it and Hillary does. Wisdom!

Go Hill Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Cory

All of this is really making me lose complete and utter faith in America as a society. The sheer idiocy and manpower that steers individuals like George W. Bush and Hilary Clinton towards the White House is completely overwhelming. The lies, the spinning, all of it.

The audacity of hope, indeed.

April 24, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  12. Debbie, TX

All campaigns are rough & tough. If you think Hillary is being tough on Obama, just wait and see what the Republicans and their minions do to him if he gets the nomination. Unfortunately, he's like all of us, he's human and has some skeletons that the Republicans are going to use against him. The Repbulicans wrote the book on dirty tricks and smear tactics. Look what they did to McCain in his race against W. And he was a Repblican. This campaign stuff ain't nothing compared to the pressures you must overcome when you are the President. Besides, if you are not smart enough to see through campaign BS, you don't need to be voting. Quit whining and get on with it.

April 24, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. MikeT

This is a double standard. It is like when Bill said Obama was a fairy tale which is true. He's not.

Now he is attacking me and every other Hillary supporter, get over yourself Richardson.

HILLARY 08