April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. Kevin Callahan

Way to go guys!

2008... yet again, our leaders snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

April 24, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. LifeLongDemocrat

Regardless of who you're supporting it will be disturbing if the nominee only has half of the Democratic vote. Can he or she bring the other half into the fold? I think not making a nice trek for McCain to 1600 Pennsykvania Av!

Hillary can bring it all together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2008 and 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. Jessica

Its hilarious that Hillary is trying to say she has the popular vote, counting Michigan and Florida, when Obama wasn't even ON the ballot in Michigan and didn't campaign in Florida, because he, and the other Dem candidates, actually stayed true to their word and FOLLOWED THE RULES. Keep dreaming and clinging Hillary, those delegates are never going to get seated.

April 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Bridgette

These politicians don't own loyalty to each other they owe it to the American people. And I think it is hypocritical to have James Carville on a show as an analyst between the Clinton's and anyone he won't be bias. They are now back to the FL & MI story. She is a looser. I once supported her and actually voted for her. I am glad I have a chance to correct that in November when Obama is the nominee.

April 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. Ron, TX

Richardson is ten times the man Carville will ever be...

It's hard to take someone like Carville, who is a self-admitted Clinton crony, seriously when they argue in favor of Clinton...

April 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Quinn - PA

It was Okay when he was the Clinton's Court Jester!

Now he's looking for a place in the Obama kingdom!

April 24, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  7. An American in Canada

RICHARDSON SAID “They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT, HE HAS TAKEN THE PLUNGE AND HAS PARTAKEN IN THE OBAMA KOOL-AID.

A DYNASTY {LOL}

THE THRONE {LOL}

RICHARDSON YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS CLINGING, CLINGING TO OBAMA FOR A POSITION (IF HE WINS) IN THE CABINET....

ONCE A BETRAYER ALWAYS A BETRAYER
    AND OBAMA WOULD NOT HAVE A PERSON LIKE YOU
    CLOSE TO HIS THRONE! {LOL}

April 24, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  8. Bob, NY

The entire power hungry DNC leadership has lost it's mind. And focus on the people's work..

April 24, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Jessica

Refering to Richardson as Judas implies that Carville is relating Hillary Clinton to Jesus...

Thou shalt not worship false idols.

That can't make faithful Christians too happy with Carville and Clinton.

April 24, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Kansas Veteran

What's the matter Bill didn't Hillary offer a good enough job in the dynasty that you were so much a part of, sour grapes.

April 24, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. Great

Carville reminds me of Snape, the only difference being that Snape was actually on the good side.

April 24, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. Concerned Democrat

I think Gov. Richardson should look up the definition of a dynasty. I don't think that because her husband was president that Mrs. Clinton thinks they are a dynasty. Now if you look at the Kennedy family, there is a family who believe they are a dynast, clinging to a throne. To qualify as a dynasty there must be multiple generations in power.

If I were Obama I would be so proud to have the endorsement of another person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

April 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Nancy

OBAMA – RICHARDSON '08

April 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. frank

Bill Richardson acted like an impartial judge ready to save the democratic party from derailing in the midst of negative and selfish campaign of the Clintons. I often wonder whether the Clintons really love the democratic party or pretend to be so!

April 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Julie

We are clinging to our throne ;the country; and our guns and our religion. because we want to keep them! Obama would like to see us lose them. end of story!

April 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. stacy

thought Mr. Richardson did a very poor showing in trying to back his
    cause. Carville is tough and usually correct.

April 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. Mike

I wish Carville & Richardson were running against each other!

I Love Carvilles quick wit plus he is a political genius.

Hey Richardson, shave that Grizzly Adams beard won't you, you look ridiculous!

Go Hillary!!!!

April 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. Deb

I have a lot of respect for Gov Richardson, but last night I found his arguments and statements on larry King ridiculous. I think Richardson would have been better served by staying nuetral and seeing who took the nomination since his state supported Mrs. Clinton and he would have been well positioned to be a VP choice.

April 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. momma obama

Dear Mr. Richardson
    Thank you THank you Thank you. I think you have finally said, you said something everyone is so afraid to say even mention.

I am very proud of you. None is willing to admit the truth and reality. and if one says it one is unpatriotic, or disrespectful or gets call a name by the billary supporters.

the reality is that we have a democracy, however, the clinton and the followers want us to have a dynasty at whatever cost. The clintons have turned to use every tactic in the Republican book and worst. You know I have much respect for Senator McCain, he is very honest and very respectful which I know is not valued now a days specially with the media. Also Senator Obama, very respectful and honest and he while he tries to not give in to the old same old billary's stuff, the media presses for that . this whole thing reminds me of people magazine and their obsession over britney s. it is the same with the media including cnn and the clintons. the news have become sort of tabloids via tv.

I just wanted to thank you for telling the truth without fear and knowingly that they will come after you..............clintons and their network.

April 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. JJ

Hillary clinton needs to understand the Presidency is not a family property

April 24, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  21. Edd

To Richardson the traitor: It is actually called "having the gratitude to all the good things the CLINTON's have done to your career" . You made the wrong choice, the LATINO Community hates you since you have betrayed them! They voted HILLARY in all Latino community states and you did the exact opposite, sot it is not only a betrayal to the CLINTONS but to the Latino Community as well. Such a shame!!!!! Any yeah, you shoudl grow your beard longer, to repent for your sins!

April 24, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. T in Kzoo

Honestly CNN, I'm tired of all the "clashing," the "bashing," and the "CNN in the Rumble (oops, I meant election) Center," especially when it's only helping McCain.

Tell the Democrats to stop tearing each other up and focus that energy on McCain like we used to. If this doesn't happen soon, the Democrats will be forever known for snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Dems 08

April 24, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. gerry

Richardson is right. All one hears from the Clinton campagin is spin, spin, spin

April 24, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. Harvey, Tampa, FL

I saw this on TV and I came away with two things:

1) Carville couldn't seem to look King or the TV viewers in the eye.
    2) Carville comes across as condescending, and uninterested in any counterpoint to his statements. He also looked "sour" where Richardson looked upbeat and interested in what was being said.

Richardson was very likeable and I felt comfortable with him. I found Carville to be extremely arrogant and unpleasant.

April 24, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. Justin

Nice Richardson, take that SOB down.

April 24, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |