April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. BAKERSFIELD

RICHARDSON KNOWS HE BACK STABB THEM, ALL THEY DID TO HELP HIS POLITICAL FUTURE – HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED.

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. TGO in CT

I have to commend Bill Richardson for voting the way he feels led. Personally, I think Carville was way out of line with his remarks... Just because Richarson has his own mind and is not afraid to express his choice?... Isn"t that one of our constitutional rights???
    I didn't hear Bill Richardson calling names.... To me, that only shows who the more professional person was...With supporters like Carville, I can see why Hillary is behind and will never get the nomination...

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. mad dem

I don't want to see another debate if it is not going to focus on issues. I don't care about their personal business, such as where they worship or who they have had so called "contact" with. I want to know what each one plans to do about: Economy, Gas prices, Education(making school districts more accountable, not just testing)(college more affordable for kids who parents pay taxes), Health Care (for everyone and the price of insurance, medications), Housing( So we will not have so many Americans homeless) AND Crime( So our kids can stay safe). I have real concerns, because I have children who must grow up in this great nation. I can't even watch Ms. Clinton, because she is very negative. It was not long ago, that we defended her husband against those who wanted to impeach him because of his personal life. Did we ever get a conclusion to Whitewater? Obama has yet to come out swinging her dirt and I say good for him and staying out of the norm of politics. I think debates can only get ugly, if our dear media friends keep taking us back to things that are not important. STAY FOCUS AMERICA

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. Kathy

Thank goodness Richardson dropped out of the race!

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. Eric-Illinois

Richardson you are so sad. "Cling to the throne?" Obama is the one who seems to fell this nomination should just be annointed on him....him being the new Messiah and all. Your disloyalty is breathtaking...I am so so very sorry I once thought of voting for you. What job did Obama and his Chicago hacks promise you to make you turn your back on experience and skills in favor of snappy speaches and feel good silliness?

April 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama

Roger: The Clintons THREW THE FIRST STONES. The Obama campaign has had no other choice but to defend and attack back or risk looking like wimps. Its pathetic that attacking and destroying your opponent IS the only way to win in our country! This says a lot about how we have been influenced by the AM Radio hate-mongers. Can we rise above all the mud???

Poor James Carville, his face says it all, "I am one mean & anger dude." James, you claim to be a Catholic, a Christian. How about some grace?

PS. Roger, in South Carolina it was Bill who FIRST played the race card. Its been downhill ever since.

April 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Whiney

Ohhh, little Obama is afraid of the big bad wolfe. Hillary is making him uncomforable. Well, he has not seen anything yet if he becomes the nominee.

I do not view her ads as negative – I veiw them as part of a campaign where she is trying to win and has every right to bring up ads that will make people think about the past, present and future and who could best handle the world's problems. She is strong and he is weak.

April 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. running away

CNN,

Carville is right. Obama is running away from debates and a re-vote. Whatever Richardson talked didn't appeal to me as logic. Obama is scared of re-vote. He knows that he is going to loose. We don't want a president who is scared and running away from things.

April 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. NY

Bill Richardson is just seeking for VP position which he will never get he has missed his opportunity and as they say, Opportunity comes but once. Had it been that Obama won in PA the tune will change that he is able to win in the big states. But now that Hillary is showing that is best, better and good leadership, Obama camp is crying like a baby. After all Obama said that he is having problem with the seniors the reason is because he doesn't respect seniors and that is why he is having problems with seniors. As you all can see Obama is very arrogant and kioki towards every one unless those Black voters who thing just because he is black all black people should vote for him.

Another thing is that leaders are naturally born and some are leaders and some followers. To me I believe Obama is a follower and not a leader. He may be handsome but if your parents are mixed like him definitely he/she will be handsome/beautiful. As you all know Catholics put George Bush in the White House and for the first time Catholics voted for Hillary that to show you people she is better candidate to help the country.

Also, black people should ask themselves a question if Obama is big in black community and past leaders why wasn't him at Martin Luther King memory service? See to show his arrogancy too big to attend.
    All I can say, he should look for a VP position or gather more experience before looking for the highest job in the world. No one will hire a freshman to head his/her company take Dow Jones for example they will never ever take someone with MBA to be a CEO or handle their most strategic position.

Go Hillary '08

April 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Patty-California

The remaining states should have the opportunity to vote in a democratic primary for the candidate of their choice. Also, more debates between the two candidates could help those undecided voters.

April 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  11. Sarah in TX

Obama negative? did you watch the ABC debate? How many times did he get negative vs her? did you see the last commercial Hillary put out in PA? Why not show the great accomplishments of past presidents... why show pearl harbor/osama etc.?

Clintons push the OLD button push the OLD button push the OLD button
    Obama deflects and then pushes back at the end and the Clintons say "see, it's him!! no fair, whaaaa =("

Is he negative b/c of the "bitter" comments? is that it? are you even in touch with America? lots of us are bitter... old politicians haven't lifted a finger for us and we can't go anywhere in the world without being looked down upon... let alone inflation, gas prices, war etc. etc. We are bitter and optimistic that with the right president things can change – not same old politicians and politics that never changes anything.

April 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. Barbara

That is a lot of Bull, did I hear you say the Obama campaign make negative remarks? what or who have been listening to? Clinton is a Negative person, and of all people, try to use dirt, but then, look at her background. Anyone who stays with a man, who not in his own house, but our house (The White House) have sex with an intern young enough to be his daughter, and stand up and lie to the American people is bad enough but to do sucha thing is downright
    dirty, and sick and what that says to us the american people screw you, "In your face" and then have the audacity to talk about a man about his minister, not the man, and just what standards are these
    Clintons trying to hold Obama to and the pitiful people that vote for them. i feel so sorry for america if that is all they can produce,I will
    not vote at all

April 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. shirley

Governor Richardson, an honest man of integrity, is called a 'traitor' for voting his conscience instead of 'political payback' , this says a lot about the Clintons. The news media smoothed this comment over the same way they have smoothed over Hillary's support of NAFTA and the Columbian Trade Deal and Hillary saying 'screw 'em' in reference to Southern voters. That comment has been verified and yet received 1 little blurb in the news while Senator Obama's 'bitter' word in describing the feelings of some American voter's got 5 days of front page news, all negative. Guess what? I am becoming very 'bitter' about this bias reporting.

April 24, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  14. Carl LaFerney

For someone young and educated, you have no manners and no respect for anyone other than people that agree with you it appears.

I find that appaling and shame on you and your attitude.

Even at 26, I'm well aware of how social security won't be around when I retire, so I must rely on two things: myself, OR, my government to take care of me.

I choose myself everytime because I trust myself. The government is a last resort, not a first one. This is why a MAJORITY of people over 40 will not vote for Obama, because they know what his future tax plans will do to their retirement funds.

Obama may bring necessary changes needed to improve our country, but people against him feel that he can do far more harm than good to this nation. It's as simple as that.

I applaud your support, but we simply disagree. It has nothing to do with education or age or anything for that matter...

April 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. Jan in Virginia

Tessa,

Is that who you really are or are you a plant pretending to change your support from Clinton?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Clinton is doing this because she believes that she is the best candidate for the party and that her supporters are encouraging her to keep on. I believe she is the better candidate. I wil never vote for Obama and there is a large percentage of the Clinton support that won't either if he gets the nomination. That's a fact if you just read the news.

She's not destroying anything and people that tell you that are just people that want her out so Obama can have it.

April 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  16. bob

AND OBAMA ACTS LIKE HE IS ENTITLED TO BE

THE WORLD LEADER....HIS ARROGANCE IS OBVIOUS

AND ONLY 3 YEARS IN US SENATE....SCARED OF THAT!!!!

April 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  17. Sue

James Carville is a spin nut. The Clinton are be beaten by the American people not Obama, he is just driving the train for change.

April 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  18. ROBERT

I find it funny that people say that Hillary will do anything to become the first woman president. Isn't that what Obama is doing? He wants to go into the history books as the first black president. I know Michelle Obama would like to be the first black female president....why else would she pushing Obama so hard. I personally don't have anything against him. I just don't think he has what it takes. He's a junior senator with no track record behind him and I don't like the way he is playing to the black community. As I see it right now it's race against gender.

April 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  19. shirley

Those people who say Senator Obama disenfranchised Florida and Michigan voters are sounding like idiots. The DNC made that decision, Hillarys said it is Obama fault, the media prints her lie and now some of you actually believe it.

April 24, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. John Smith

I guess "folks" in small towns and states are "smarter and more educated" than folks in the BIG states!! Hillary is from NY–

NY, PA, FL, CA etc. (except TX), continue to amaze us! Just look at the "wisdom" of the smaller states– Indianna, NC, Iowa etc.– . Left to them, this madness would have been over with before now!!

April 24, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. nord

Richardson is a has-been and because he is backing Obama and going against the will of the voters in New Mexico, he will not be relected next time. Keep looking for that new home in Texas cause the folks in New Mexico are about to kick your butt to the curb. .

Richardson would be washing dishes today if it wern't for the Clintons who made him what he is today. JUDAS is to kind of a word to place on him, I can think ofa lot of more appropriate adjatives to call him.

April 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. mad dem

I am also from Florida. When I voted in the primary, it was with the understanding that the vote would not count because my state broke the rules of the DNC. I think Florida and Michigan should not be counted. Rules are there for a reason. If you decide to break a rule, be prepared to suffer the backlash. Florida should stop being in the middle of everything and know that our state government knew the rules as well. Obama and Clinton both signed off on the rules. I think this should be a dead issue. And for all fairness Florida nor Michigan should not even want to have their votes counted. Yea, send the wrong message to the kids, if you break a rule, instead of being punished we will make exceptions. I am very disappointed in my state. Be strong and take your punishment like adults.

April 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. get real

Go away Judas! Has Obama offerred you the VP spot or what? Obama still couldn't win the latino vote with you on the ticket. Do you know why? I think it has something to do with Latinos being tired of Blacks accusing them of taking their jobs.

Good luck Obama winning that vote even if Richardson is on your ticket!!!

April 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. Obama mama

Its funny to me that former members of Bill Clinton's administration are supposed to back Hillary just because. Richardson doesn't owe Hillary anything. He was appointed to a post and served Bill. That's it. Has he forever given loyalty to any Clinton that does anything? He's right– he ran against Hillary and nobody was offended. They're just mad. Maybe her feelings are hurt. I'm suprised she didn't cry before Pennsylvania like New Hampshire...

James Carville won't say why he's only upset with Richardson. There have been other Clinton defectors, but James is still so upset by Richardson. That's more interesting to me...

April 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. Caledonia, NY

I hate Carville but I also love the guy. Richardson is a backstabber of epic proportions. Obama seems to me to be the Anti-Christ. A smooth talker that can move thousands of people to tears without saying much at all. I respect Hillary for sticking to her guns and fighting hard to win the nomination, even when people like Richardson are telling her to give it up.

April 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |