April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. CHICANO ART, ARIZONA

I was proud of Gov. Richardson when he ran for President and quit before the contest hit his state and mine in Arizona where he might have done better than in NH. He quit. He dissappointed me because he gave up so easily. That is why I like Hillary Clinton. She is a fighter and I need someone that is going to fight for me, like universal healthcare.

Just one more thing... Richardson was not projecting the positive image Obama's camp wants to portray because the more they are percieved to be politicians the more their augument of being above politics that much more ridiculous.

April 24, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Jamaal Kansas

Why should he Debate all Hillary want to do is Debate him so she can attack him directly Barack will get no more votes from antoher Debate because they have already had about 21 debates

April 24, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Sandi Giles-Ashton

What is wrong with Richardson? Why did he turn on Hillary? He seems very angry (so what if Carvell made some comments). We are not hanging onto the throne. Is he trying to get the VP with Obama? Well, I sure won't vote for Obama if Richardson is on the ticket.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. Texas Vet

I hope James Carville continues to get interviewed. He is a little bit like a Doberman on speed. He represents the way the Clintons feel about anyone that doesn’t support them. It is interesting that a lot of people who “worked” for the Clintons are supporting Obama. I salute their bravery, if Hillary gets elected payback will be hell.

Maybe Hillary will have James attack John Edwards. No, John Edwards has not yet endorsed a candidate.

But nearly 50 of his most prominent backers lined up behind Senator Barack Obama yesterday, in a gesture designed to give Mr. Obama a heavy boost of support less than two weeks before the North Carolina primary on May 6.

The group includes Ed Turlington, Mr. Edwards’s former national general campaign chairman; three North Carolina members of Congress; and 46 local activists, philanthropists and business leaders, among others. (Not surprisingly, given Mr. Edwards’s background, the list holds the names of 20 lawyers.)

Things just got tougher for the Clintons in North Carolina.

April 24, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Bayou Joe

How petty and childish. The world is watching our grown ups insult each other. No wonder the young have no respect for tradition and
    their elders. Shame on you two. I guess they reflect the values of their candidates.

God help us all.

April 24, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Timothy

Gov. Richardson is absolutely right the Clinton's think they are apparent heirs to the throne. After Sen. Clinton whose next their daughter.

April 24, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. Jay Shah

James Carville is the Clinton's lap dog. He is a political figure with no office. So therefore he can say or do whatever his Masters i.e the Clintons tell him to and he has no public backlash to fear.

Please Indianians and North Carolinians...help end this drama and vote against Billary.

April 24, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. NJ in FL

Whenever Barack speaks about the issue of Florida and Michigan, he never fails to mention that his name was not on the Michigan ballot, but he also avoids to say that his name was on the Florida ballot and that people did vote for both Clinton and Obama.
    I for one would like to know why he left his name on the Florida ballot and decided to remove his name off the Michigan ballot.
    What's wrong with the remainder of the states having their say before any super delegates state who they will back. Since they were to be the tie breaker, it seems that they should have kept their mouths shut until all states had their primaries.
    Something doesn't feel right, when Guam and Puerto Rico will have their say, but not Florida and Michigan.
    In the end all democrats will come together and vote in the general election, lets hope that the votes are for what is right for our country and not on the race thing.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. A. Harrison

After listening to Gov Richardson idiotic argument It's my opinion that we are in a Twilight Zone now.

Point blank, Obama and his surrogates don't want the Democratic race to continue, they want to cut to the chase, disenfranchise Florida and Michigan, and claim some sort of "legal" but truly invalid victory (remember 2000).

How is Senator Clinton claiming the throne when she gets out there and works hard for her votes, half the things Barack says came out of her mouth first. This race is totally about likeability, cause I don't see anyone left out there running for President that is a true change from Bush and qualified at that.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. tessa

Richardson said it perfectly... that they are clinging to a throne. I feel that Hillary Clinton does not care what she does to the Democratic party, she wants to go down in history as being the first woman president. She's the elitist and is so extremely arrogant. I really had so much respect for her and in the beginning was on her side but I have truly lost all respect for her. I simply could never vote for her because of this.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. roger

I think Carville makes some good points, I watched the entire show 1) why should the states that have not held theri primaries have a choice 2) the Obama campaign make negative remarks about Hillary but scream when she makes one about him. If Richardson or anyone else thinks this campaign has been negative or it is going to hurt the democrats in the general they are just blowing smoke.....

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Toronto Girl

i saw this show and Richardson is very bitter toward the Clintons who help him .

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Bob, Lyons Oregon,

I agree with Bill Richardson. James Carville is just as nasty as Clinton, you can see it in his face, just like you can see it in her face. She feels its owed to her. When she was ahead, she agreed that MI and Fl didn't count, because they didn't follow the rules of the party, but now that she is behind, she wants to count them, when its totally and utterly ridiculous. Especially now that she has tried to make it look as if its obama's fault these 2 states don't count. He followed the rules. I just find it interesting, they the clinton's and some of their supporters are so unscrupulous that they can even consider these 2 states. She will do anything to win. I want an honest president working for us. They can call her a fighter, but it's not fighting that she is doing, it's deviding the party with her negatives, and this democrat is leaning more and more to McCain, if Clinton becomes the nominee because of her tactics. I think Obama is the best candidate to work for the american people. Honesty is the best policy, and I do not see this woman as honest, nor her husband anymore. I still do not see what experience she has over obama, other then being the president's wife. I have not seen it. Id love to see a woman as president, but one with scrupels not her, she would have alot of convincing to do, to get my vote, as I am sure alot of others feel the same way. Several months ago, I might have considered going over to her, but with all her negatives, and win at all cost's shows me she is a very selfish person, and only cares about herself, not the american people. She says words count, and her words have resinated with me, and the only way I would vote for her, is the same way alot of McCain voters (as his mother put it) hold my nose to vote for her.

Obama 08, 12

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. Fishers, Indiana

Barack Hussein Obama will never be elected President of the USA.

Enough said.

To describe it as a monarch was a poor choice of words and very disturbing to hear from Richardson, but consider the source.

Hillary Clinton '08 & '12

April 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. Sharilyn Fletcher

Hillary's Camp will stop at nothing to get her the nomination. Bill and Hillary used the Black community to push their political agenda. Now, it is very clear what they really thought of Blacks. Also, the big guys are setting up themselves to steal the nomination from Obama. They will regret it. Black folks are not just going to sit and let this happen.

Sharilyn

April 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  16. lip

Carville and Hillary are Dinosaurs from the long extinct Clinton period of prehistory.
    Listen to Hillary explain her logic on her lead over Obama. Hillary is delusional. This is quite similar to her delusional recounting of the hail of gun fire as she and Chelsea ran from the back of the plane to the waiting crowd of "children" who greeted her with flowers (in the hail of gunfire). A psychiatrist would probably explain this condition as shellshock after living with Slick Willy for all those years of relationships with other women. Do we really want this character and her entourage (to include this wacko James Carville) messing with our White House again?
    Think it over folks...there is very little time left.

April 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Gerald F.

Maybe Senators' Clinton and Obama could both take some much needed rest and let these two boys (Carville & Richardson) just duke it out with cream pies for a while instead of just name calling? ( Easier on the hearing than shouting constant "Nah-Nahs" at one another on national tv.)

April 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. Michigan Voter

Richardson is a STUD!

April 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  19. mitch from ark.

bill richardson is an honorable man,who is being chastised,for making a choice,he has every right to make.james carville's demeanor seems to be lightening up a bit,now that hillary's basically out of the race.he said hillary needed tx ,oh. and pa.,to stand any chance ,in the delegate race,and she lost texas,even though they claim it as a win.

April 24, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  20. KBest

James Carville used to have my respect as a very articulate CNN Analyst, until recently. His unapologetic attack and name calling on Bill Richardson is uncalled for. That is not the direction America should be headed.

Ascension to the America Presidency is not supposed to be a do-or-die affair for the Clintons and their surrogates. It is only in a Monarchy and other Theocracies that you cannot vote your conscience. Democracy is open-mindedness, James, and if Obama's message can win Bill Richardson to his side, what then is his sin in endorcing Obama? James, respect yourself, because some of us respect you a lot. Your blind loyalty to the Clintons does not give you the arrogant right to castigate others who have not tagged along.

Bill, your comporture is commendable and exemplary. You have behaved in a manner conformable to what is right, proper and expected. Your choice of word is not 'Judascious' and 'Idiotic'. You have my respect for following your conscience and watching your mouth.

April 24, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. Tamika

Why isnt CNN(the most watched news channel in my opinon)covering where Mr. and Mrs. Clinton are going to be tomarrow and why? Are you afraid of them like everyone else is..why isnt anyone covering "The Hillary Movie".. if this were Obama.. it would be OVER!!!!! you all should be ashamed of yourself as journalists…I am sure you wont be posting this!..people go to you tube and see the movie(full)for yourselves and wake up!!!!.. google Clinton V Paul (California April 25th 2008)…

If i get this posted it would be a miracle…and then you'd remain my MOST watched news channel(maybe)

April 24, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. Chris

I think Bill Richardson looked like rather silly last night. He is a traitor and has no loyalty at all. He owes the Clinton's out of loyalty. But Bill is thinking that endorsing Obama, he might get the VP ride. I THINK NOT!

April 24, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  23. Judas Richardson

Bill Richardson is effectively irrelevant. Once his term as governor ends he will fade into obscurity.

April 24, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Vince - Phoenix

Whaaa.... whaaa....

we need 100 more debates!!!! whaaaaa....... everybody against hillary is stupid....... whaaaaaaa! Barack is running...... Whaaaaaa

This dude's act is SO tired......

but hillary-ites eat up!

April 24, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  25. proud army and navy mom

i like richardson, he tells it like it is

April 24, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |