April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. erick macc

To say we will atact a conuntry when you are not presadent is very negative before she even is a presadent it scares the hec out of alot of people she does not no what she is getting into like they say never let a women do a mans job god made us men we are the leading roles on earth. except it don,t push buttons even when you are trying to gain the worlds trust.

April 24, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. A&A

i saw this on CNN and was deeply disturbed by the comment of Bill Richardson...as he was trying to spin every question in Obama's favor he looked desperate and miserable...poor man, poor poor man..

April 24, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. Christian, Tampa FL

Bill Richardson is so much cooler than James Carville, and he's absolutely right. Hillary feels entitled to the Presidency and she'll do anything to get it even if she has to destroy the party. Personally, I want to see the Clinton dynasty ended and I hope Barack Obama can achieve that. The Clintonian saga has lasted too long.

April 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Mixen

I really like Bill Richardson. His support of Obama has had a big influence on me.

April 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. cecil

Sen. Clinton didn't get her double digit win, a win is 50% plus 1 correct.
    9.2% isn't 10.
    A win is a win.
    A lose is a lose. and 9.2 is 9.2 period.

Sen. Clinton faces uphill battle in North Carolina, well welcome to Sen. Obama world this round.

April 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. Its got to be Hillary!!!!!!!!

Sounds like obama supporters think that people that are not of their statuer CLING to everything to be on their high and mighty Holier than thou level, What an Elitis pompus Jerk, Or better yet JUDAS! richardson has lost my respect.

Hispanics for Hillary Clinton NoW and FOREVER!!!

April 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Susan MO

Carville, give it a rest you lose

April 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Tubby The Tuba from Texas

Go Bill Richardson. I love your state. You would make an awesome Vice-President (in training for President).

April 24, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. Jeff - Dallas

Can we remember why Hillary is a Senator in New York to begin with? She is a carpetbagger! Prior to making the decision to run for the Senate, she had never had a residence in the State of New York! She chose not to run for the Senate in Illinois or in Arkansas, even though she had lived in both states.
    Instead, she was handpicked by her predecessor, Patrick Moynihan in New York, knowing that being a NY Senatorial position offered the best stepping stone to an eventual run for the White House. Why did she abandon Arkansas, her adult home state? Because she will stop at no manipulation, mis-representation, political posturing and down right dirty tricks, to extend the Clinton dynasty.
    How can anyone believe anything she says or does, without thinking about her past?

April 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Scott ATL

I used to like Carville. Now he just seems like an instigating bully. The kid in the school yard that kept the fight going...lol I can see now that Clinton surrogates will not get their "payback" from the Clintons if they can't get them to the White-house. If Obama won in MI or FL, Carville would have a crochet baby with knitted eyeballs trying to keep them from being counted. (Well, I guess when you can't when fair and square, you'll try anything...) Hillary called FOX News fair and balanced for cry'n out loud...lol You know they'll do anything to win now... I hope FOX starts to use that "sound-bite" in an advertisement...

The desparation is paletable...

Carville, you said that if Obama wins, you have a check made out for the maximum contribution ready and waiting with his name on it... Guess what... You can keep it. We got him already...

I know you like to think you're still relevant and necessary, but when the politics change in Washington, so will the need for folks like you and Rove.... (Never thought I'd mention your two names in the same sentence, but that's who you're starting to remind me of...) What makes you any different.

Bill, stick to your guns... I would go to the mattresses for you and so would alot of others who can see with a logical eye, what's going on...

April 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  11. Jay

Richardson is coming off as a punk. He needs to shut up.

If Hillary is winning still, there is no reason to drop out. Richardson should worry about New Mexico, you know the State that voted for Hillary!

April 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. April in Texas

Good grief.. I am getting the impression the Richardson Endorsement is much bigger than I thought.. The Clintons and their supporter(s) mainly Carville still seem so upset. Well WTG Richardson for choosing the best canidate instead of those who feel they are owed something.. Talk about an elite atitude the Clintons have that hands down..

Respect is earned not bought....

Obama 08

April 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. Marc in DeKalb, IL

Merit, not entitlement, in 2008.

April 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Angus McDugan

Toronto Girl – Makes you wonder what he knows about the Clintons doesn't it?

April 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Grif

If you don't shout LOud enough, they're not going to Listen...
    The Black Vote, want's to steal all Base's.....

April 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. RT

Hey Folks, don't forget that it was Carville who attacked Richardson.

April 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. dems unite

DEMS UNITE, CLINTON AND OBAMA POLICIES ARE THE SAME, DON'T VOTE FOR MCCAIN JUST BECAUSE YOUR CANDIDATE DIDN'T GET THE NOMINATION ... WE DON'T NEED A BUSH 3RD TERM, LOOK AT GAS PRICES, THE WAR IN IRAQ, THE ECONOMY!

cnn please post my comments instead of posting comments that only lead to further divisiveness among democrat!

April 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  18. John, Indianapolis, IN

Gov. Richardson, you are a very honorable person! The Clintons have a group of idiots like Jame Carville, who they never give a straight answer/talk. You corner and bet him well!

April 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  19. Blake

Other way around Toronto Girl. Do you really think with the whinning the Clintons do they are hunky doory with their friend and fellow NFL Super Bowl watcher endorsing the other guy? Who is bitter? Why would Richardson be bitter. He has endorsed the winning and likely nominee. It is the losers who get bitter. I have not seen many former Obama supporters endorse Hilary, but I see them every few days it seems like for Obama.

April 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. YOU NEED TO KNOW

After Gov. Richardson made his decision for the GOOD OF THE COUNTRY the Clintons treated him like DIRT....I wouldn't blame him one bit if he's bitter towards the Clintons.

April 24, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. gini

what is up with Obama and his supporters always trying to clump groups together. the 'typical Clinton supporter!' geez could he be more narrow-minded? Sucks for him, as a Clinton supporter, I actually thought Richardson took the high road by ignoring Carville at first, but now, he seems more like a 'typical' Obama supporter.

April 24, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. woody

if Richardson is Judas, then Bill Clinton is Jonah because he was swallowed by a whale....! LOL!

April 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. Jaime

I wish I'd seen the show. Regardless, Carville & his disdain is about to be out of a job....

April 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. Helene

Yes, Lady Macbeth she is. Except that we don't have royalty in this country and that after 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Bush, it is time for a change, a real change. Obama !

April 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Phil in KC

I missed the beginning of the program. While I normally like James Carville, I thought Richardson came off a lot better in terms of what I did see.
    Personally, I like debates. I think they give you insight into the candidate and let you know where they stand. But, after 20 debates, what more is there to learn? Yes, Hillary is a better debater. Big deal. It sounds to me like the Clinton camp is just looking for more opportunities to beat up on Obama.
    If they keep bloodying their opponent, it will only help the Republicans. Because it will damage Obama if he is the nominee and it will turn off the voters if she is the nominee.
    I, like Carville, have said that I would vote for the eventual nominee, whoever it might be. But Hillary is making that VERY hard. If she becomes the party's nominee, I will not be voting for her as much as I will be voting against McCain.

April 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |