April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. Linda

It's true what Gov. Richardson said. The Clintons act as if there supposed to be in the White House. Hillary Clinton is a liar and will tell the American people anything just to get back into the White House. She's been talking about healthcare for 15 years. Why couldn't she get this done? She cant be trusted. Slhe thinks she's going to lie all the way into the White House. Now she's trying to count the delegates from Michigan and Florida. Obama wasn't on the ballot, he didn't even campaign in florida. She's thinks everybody is stupid.

April 24, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  2. Ron

The Clinton years were the best years the country as had in the last two plus decades. the shape the country is in right now the last thing it needs is an idealist like Obama. He knows if he goes into another debate that the precedence as been set for the moderators to ask him to explain his answers which he as not been asked to do before. because he always talks in generalities and not in specifics he shows he as no real idea of how he will attain the wonderful future he talks about when pressed to explain. Richardson sounds like Casey the must read off the same pages when promoting Sen Obama , they are so syrupy you would think they are feeling romantic towards him the country needs somebody to get them out of this mess vote Clinton

April 24, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  3. Cnn For Me

I have plenty of ex bosses... Get it EX BOSSES. Who gave me a job. I work for a pay... You are not giving me anything. Why are we looking at this man as if Clinton saved him from slavery? he gave him a job... that he did well. Thats it. Let me see you bend over for your boss when his wife needs your support on something that YOU DO NOT SUPPORT... I mean cmon... You own him don't You???

again... God help us all.

April 24, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. The Young & Educated for Obama

Ok Roger and knuckleheads alike:
    If I remember correctly Hillary had pictures of Sen. Obama in a turban saying he is Muslim! That didn't work! Now he's playing the race card! That didn't work! Now he is an Elitist! That didn't work!
    Hillary got strong arms from throwing that kitchen sink and Sen. Obama have been more than nice to this Republican Hillary!
    How dare you even say Obama have been Negative let me tell you he is been a DECENT UPSTANDING MAN!
    Thats why I know I could never run for president cuz by now she would be MUD with all the Junk and Baggage she's got in the trunk! I would have hit her Hardddddddd!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Kris from AZ

Richardson has a mind of his own and does not have to answer to the so called man(Bill). I think it was a good relationship between the 2 but Richardson does not have to agree on what Bill agrees with or with voting for Hillary. Rishardson is not a trader. He does not have to answer to anybody (like the Clintons) He was a hard worker and did things on his own merits. It has nothing to do with loyalty. I agree with Rishardson over poeple want to cling to a dynasty. Didnt we get that it stinks after the two bushs ...I dont get poeple.

April 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. Marshall

"Richardson is very bitter toward the Clintons who help him"

Using your logic, you should never go against a former boss, friend or anybody that has giving you any help.

I guess I am missing something.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Paul

Shame on Howard Dean and the media for portraying the primary as too long and divisive. It is you, collectively, who have made this a grueling, nasty battle, not the candidates.

If it would be better to have had just one candidate by now, why allow the votes to be staggered over such a long period of time? Wasn't it just a few short years ago we were "disinfranchised" by winning the popular vote and losing the presidential election?

Isn't allowing every vote to count what makes America great? Back off, talking heads, and let the votes speak for themselves.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. souza

If Obama is bitter about Clinton leading in the popular vote maybe he should cling to his religion and guns for support.. Richardson is doing Obama's dirty work.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  9. lia,denver

I sent you a comment, it wasn't offensive or anything, but it was not favoring Clinton. You did not publish it, so CNN's bias is very clear.After all, Clinton is advertising on CNN website. ... I will try again. I think Bill Richardson is right, Clinton's have an annoying sense of entitlement to presidency. They are turning around people's choice, just to get elected...

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. Ellen

I concur with you, Roger.

And, why won't Senator Obama agree to debate Senator Clinton in Indiana and North Carolina, as Mr. Carville asked repeatedly during this segment? A debate is the only vehicle in which voters have an opportunity to judge both candidates at the same time. I understand that Senator Obama is unable to perform in such venues, but I can guarentee you that he will have no choice but to debate Senator McCain should he ultimately win the nomination. Shouldn't our president be confident enough to discuss his positions? Why does he continue to hide?

And, yes, Governor Richardson has lost all credibility. Other than discussing dirty politics, which Senator Obama has a major hand in, he is unable to articulate why he ultimately agreed to endorse Senator Obama.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. Mary

He (Richardson) knows them better than we do.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  12. TAHARI in CT 4 OBAMA

AMEN Richardson! Im so glad you escaped Fantasy Land by the skin of your teeth!

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. Debby

I don't get Richardson he tells Clinton he would back her then says the campaigns were getting negative so he backs Obama. Why back anyone if both campaigns were negative. This man needs to go back on his meds.

April 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. TheTide

The Clintons go Negtive 100% of the time, and Obama just reacts – the amount of dirt on that empire of theirs is astounding – she is lucky he has not resorted to teh same GOP tactics she has.

The man still has identity, Clinton changes her words and actions based on what part of the country she is in and what her numbers look like.

April 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Mike

Richardson is trying to "cling" to a position in the Obama whitehouse.

April 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. Willam from Texas

Richardson obviously thinks he is going to have some kind of role in the Obama administration, should he become the prez. If he stabbed the Clintons in the back, he would most likely do the same to Obama in the future.

April 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. CR

I agree with James Carville regarding his comments about Richardson's endorsement of Obama.

Richardson' s statement “They [the Clintons] feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne” reflects, in my view, very bad on him. First, because the Clinton administration tremendously helped Richardson's political career - and he should be thankful for that. Second, during the Clinton administration we experienced economic prosperity, many social programs were implemented, and we had a relative period of peace. Richardon should praise the achievements of the Clinton years. Finally, there is NOTHING wrong with Hillary's ambition to become the first female president of the United States! The fact Hillary is a Clinton does not signify she belongs to a dynasty. This is a stupid argument! Americans should vote for the best qualified candidate. Period.

Simply put, I would love to experience, once more, the economic and social prosperity of the Clinton years. This is the kind of CHANGE I am voting for!

Hillary 08!

April 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. JENA from Woodbridge

Carville should apoligized to Governor Richardson. The Clintons thinking that they can change the rules. If Hilary is the nomanee, I will not vote at all.

April 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  19. Cynthia

Bill Richardson said in the interview that all states should be able to vote period, point blank and simple. The negativity started with the Senator Clinton campaign and Senator Obama had no choice but to fight back. One more important thing that was said was when was in the Presidental race – that all candidates had agreed that Michigan and Florida would not be counted because they did not follow the rules set by the DNC. If everyone is allowed to break the rules in this country – where would we be? The DNC Chairman said they would meet after all the elections have been held and figure out some type of formula to have those delegates seated in a manner that will be fair to both candidates and I think that is the right thing to do.

April 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. Saqui Huq

James should be ashamed of himself for his comment. I had a great respect for him. I was a Bill supporter then, and with all the negetive scandal I was afraid he might loose! Both James and George did such a fantastic job then. What happened to them now? They tuned 360 degrees in their deminor? I loved Hillary too. The way she stood up with grace during Clinton era. Now I lost all respect for her. She is a disgrace for all women, Lying through her teeth? About everything just to win? She is not going to win the Nomination and will have to live with her lies! She will also not win in the general b/c I know at least 100 people in NY among my friends who will not vote for her, period. B/c the way she carried herself in this campaign. Saqui

April 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. SB

To "roger" and others – It is true that Obama and his campaign have also been negative at times. HOWEVER, this is a case of swordplay versus machine guns and Obama has every right to "scream" about the Clinton campaign's behavior. The Clintons have consistently taken the lead in going negative and have crossed over the line into behavior that is not consistent with being in the same party: 1) Bill implying that while Hillary and McCain are patriotic, Obama is not; 2) Hillary saying outright that she and McCain are ready to lead, but Obama is not up to the task. It is no coincidence that McCain regularly echoes Clinton's attacks without having to launching his own new ideas. If the Clintons wish to get the nomination of the Democratic Party, then they have to play for the team as well as for themselves.

April 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. A Grandmother

Carville should have his own show, it would be more informative and
    entertaing than anything that is now on TV. Also as fair.

April 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. fr: Canada

You can sure tell James Carville has worked with the Clintons ,he is crying and whinning about Michican and Florida every time I see him on T.V. If Billary would had won on Feb. 5th we would not be hearing about this.The figured they had it. Bill Richardson was excellent on debating him. Since Hillary can bring up Rezko, and William Ayres. Why has know one brought up the Clintons Civil Fraud Case In Los Angeles.RE PAUL VS. ClINTON? I am amazed at what the Clintons can get away with. How come CNN you have not touched on the subject.????? Do you the media have a protection on Clintons roll in it. Mr Paul has taken a lie dector and has been telling the truth on the monies he loaned her and that she is lyin in saying he did not. We will see if CNN post's this.

OBAMA 08/12

April 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. Dwayne in San Diego

All Hail to the Queen! Alas, the Emperess has no clothes! All of this is smoke and mirrors and when all the votes (legitimate) are counted and the delegates and the states won are counted, Obama will win the nomination and the Presidency and restore the democracy to its rightful place. Case Closed!

GO Obama! (a.k.a. Maximus Decimus Meridius!)

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. Kel from Auburn, AL

Toronto Girl, I can't blame Richardson for being bitter against the Clintons. He supported the candidate he thought would be best and they called him Judas. Judas! That guy is the most historically significant traitor of all time, and they called him Judas. What a campaign of nasty people.

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |