April 24th, 2008

Richardson: Clinton supporters 'clinging to the throne'

CNN

Watch Carville and Richardson square off on Larry King Live.

(CNN) – After weeks of verbal brawling, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and James Carville spoke for the first time on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night. Richardson – now a supporter of Barack Obama – called Hillary Clinton backers like Carville ‘a dynasty’ that is ‘clinging to the throne.’

The CNN contributor defended calling Richardson a ‘Judas’ in a New York Times interview after the governor announced his endorsement of Obama.

“I said it. I was quoted accurately. I was quoted in context. I thought it was an appropriate metaphor,” Carville told King. “If it would have been the Fourth of July, I would have said ‘Benedict Arnold,’” Carville said.

Richardson called Carville’s response “typical of the reaction of Clinton supporters.”

“They feel they’re a dynasty. They’re clinging to the throne,” Richardson added.

Watch Carville and Richardson clash over whether the results in the Florida and Michigan primaries should help determine the Democratic Party’s nominee, whether Obama should agree to more debates before Indiana and North Carolina vote May 6 - and whether the primary race has become so negative it’s hurting the party’s prospects in the general election.

1. Louis

Last time I checked, nothing in our Constitution or Bill of Rights requires any citizen to support a specific candidate for office regardless of their personal history with that candidate. Carville supports Clinton. Richardson supports Obama. This is democracy at work. Any objections?

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Lyn

As usual, the high road versus the back road. Enough of this nonsense! Our young adults are learning from this process. Have we all forgotten that?

Obama Supporter in Indiana

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. Phillip-Little Rock

I saw the show too, Toronto Girl, and it sounded to me like, just because Clinton helped him long ago, now he's supposed to be in lockstep with their style of politics. Carville is hammering about another debate, first of all, anyone who still needs to hear the issues after 20 debates is just someone that will never make up their minds and both campaigns are better off without them.

One thing you're all forgetting is, after this election, no matter who wins, we all lose. Then, people will have to go about repairing the relationships that were fractured because of the deep divisions that it caused.

Let's begin the process of unifying ourselves as a community and as a party.

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. Nanc, MN

Poor Bill did have that same dazed and confused look that Obama had at the last debate after James got done slapping him around. Call Carville anything you like, at least he doesn't get cute and try to restate what he said or meant, like others that shall remain nameless.

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. mary

If I lived in New Mexico I would never vote for Richardson. With friends like him, you don't need enemies. That guy would not be anything if it wasn't for the Clintons.

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. Manuel TX

Richardson is a joke.

As a Hispanic, I'm saddened that this guy is so visible.

Go back to New Mexico and prepare to lose your governorship.

April 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. Ron, Las Vegas

Just goes to show you that the Clinton's and some of their supporters are no better than Bush. I applaud Richardson for not being another Brownie or Myers. You do what is good for the country and not what is good for an individual. I would say that Carville's blind support of the Clinton;s is an act of treason and he is the Benedict Arnold. You can not commit treason against a person, only against a nation.

April 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Drew

Well her tiara is about to topple.

April 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. Fred up north

Carville , repeat theese words : President Obama! President Obama! President Obama! President Obama! President Obama!!!!!!!

April 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. roslyn

I think richardson is very bitter towards hillary, and sometimes i wonder why, obama run negative ads towards hillary, as soon as she strikes back, it is too negative or is racial, i am getting sick of this, i am a black woman, and it got to the point now, if obama wins, i'm not even bothering to vote...

April 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  11. Kim, Kansas City

I watched this last night and came to the conclusion that Bill Richardson may love his country more than his loyalty to the Clintons but I also think He loves himself more than his country. I think the only reason he endorsed Obama was for his own Political gain. He saw the momentum leaning toward Obama and figured he could further his political career by siding with who he thought would be the nominee.I hope his true colors show and that Obama should watch who he surrounds himself with if he is the nominee, they just might turn on him also.

April 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Current Democratic Delegate- & ex-Obama supporter

Just like Richardson (who I used to respect) is Just another pathetic "BANDWAGON" politician. They swing with the wind and are betting on the "hope" of an Obama win and then a little "payback" to help them get re-elected. Richardson's endorsement speech was a pathetic display of reading something that was obviously written, or heavily re-written, by Obama. It was sickening to see him spend the first 2-3 minutes talking about how Obama's most recent "SPEECH" was what turned him. Gee, I guess I would expect someone to endorse based on "ISSUES" rather than "SPEECHES"... Apparently he's no more immune to the pied piper than many other Americans. It's really sad to see...

–> As a former Obama supporter (and current Democratic Delegate) I'm amazed that so many people are blind to one of the worst dbl standards that has gone on this yr. I guarantee that if Hillary had been going to a church for the past 2yrs that had been "preaching" divisiveness and hateful (anti-Black) concepts she would be "OUT" of this race and most likely "OUT" of politics. You would have seen people like Al Sharpton leading the charge to remove her from office... Obama has over "20 YEARS" with Wright being his "spiritual advisor". He was married and had his children baptized by him. So where's the outcry to remove Obama from politics???... Where’s Al Sharpton???

I couldn't care less about a persons particular church beliefs (catholic, Mormon, atheist, etc.. ) but the hateful and divisive beliefs/comments that Obama chose to remain around speaks volumes about his “judgement”, “character”, and true beliefs in regard to “unity”...

Again, what would have happened if the situation had been reversed and it was a white "preacher" spitting out black hatred... Answer: Hillary would be history. The same should apply to Obama.

–>I prefer someone who "embellishes" something (sniper fire) to someone who "lies" about being around hateful/divisive preaching for 20yrs until called out on it and then "admits" that "yes" he did see it and he "CHOSE" to continue showing his support to such thoughts by remaining their and having that person (Wright) marry him and baptize his kids. You can't talk about "Judgement and Character" without giving that a lot of weight... A lot of weight...

Clinton or McCain in 08.

April 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. Darryl

i saw this show and Richardson is very bitter toward the Clintons who help him .
    -------------------------------

You mean USED him.

Obama 08

April 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. lym

I watched the show as well, and though Richardson made very good points. Obama has tried to stay positive...it is Hillary who is very negative time after time. I dont think Richardson is bitter at all. He knows how the Clintons operate, and apparently have brain washed both Roger & Toronto Girl.

April 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. carol

These comments are a JOKE!

Paid Clinton bloggers, must be...

Supers should have loyalty to their COUNTRY not the Clintons!

What is best for the COUNTRY?

And it ain't slick Willie!

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  16. Obama 08

Richardson is right and all he was saying was that the negative campaign needs to stop.

April 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Helen

As a person who likes Governor Richardson, I was surprised that he supported Obama over Clinton. My perception of Obama is that he should have waited until he had more experience to run for President. Had he done this, we would not be in the pickle we are in right now and Clinton would already have been nominated. I personally don't think he can win in November.

April 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. Kevin

I also watched this show and noted some other key things:

– As a Clinton supporter, Carville was obviously trying to find ways to bait Obama into a debate. However post ABC, Obama will be much more aware of the efforts to tarnish his campaign.
    – Carville "quoted" Obama repeatedly changing subtly each time to finally conclude that Obama had stated Indiana will be the tie-breaker and whoever wins the state should get the nomination. lol, Unbelievable spin!
    – Richardson stated clearly that Obama is thus far favored and sooner rather than later the party should rally behind a candidate rather than utilize negative attacks. He did not state Hilary should concede or that the remaining states should not count.

I'm sorry but Richardon did well to temper his comments despite the snipings and mis-statements of Carville. It was evident that the debate was merely a forum to provoke Richardson and an effort to get Obama to answer the calls to debate.

April 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. John J

I think Carville makes sense. Why they did not count the voters of Florida and Michigan? Regardless of the bureaucratic rule by DNC boss, votes casted by the voters onstitute support of voters. Clinton may not have the delegation counts per the Big party rule, but she certainly has the support of larger population of voters. How would you think that you can win without Florida and Michigan? What Obama is afraid of for the re-vote? He knew he was going to lose those states.

April 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Anne

I watched the show. An extremely amusing exchange. Carville's right of course – Let the people vote!

April 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Jesse

The only reason why this campaign isn't going negative is because Obama's trying to run a positive campaign. Hillary's been the one going negative and on the attack. if Obama did stooped to her level, the story would be very different and it would be politics as usual.

April 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. A Citizen

I watched this program and it is obvious that Richardson is still in "campaign"mode. He repeated the same things he repeated mercilessly during the campaign and debates. He needs some new material. Additionally, I believe he did make false representations regarding his endosement. I have the utmost respect for Carville. I think he can be a character, and he is a bit eccentric, however, I did contact his office directly, at the beginning of this campaign. This primary has been railroaded by the powers that be in the DNC and the media and the Obama campaign. I ttrust Carville's honesty and straight shooting. He tells it like it is, and he has nothing to gain one way or the other. Richardson on the other hand has much to gain....and nothing to lose. I do not believe Hillary is running for President to continue a dynasty...I believe she is running for President because she loves our country, is ambitious, and would like to make a real difference. Additionally, I do not believe she has been unduly negative in this campaign. She has drawn comparisons and contrasts, and speaks up for herslf. Nothing wrong with that. We are electing the next President of the United States for goodness sake....a little bcakbone is needed for the job!

April 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. @americans

who is not going to be bitter towards the clintons. calling someone a judas is just despicable; who is jesus in this context? Hillary!

americans dont think so!

April 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. DAN

What a traitor Richardson is, You hear these people say how close these two candidates are on everything so why wouldn't you support your friends who basically helped make who you are. Humans build alliances and friendship all through life which is why loyalty means something. How well would we know Richardson if it wasn't for president Clinton, not much if not at all. Carville was right on the money as Richardsons face was twitching, Carville put him to the test about Obama trying to run from everything, disenfranchise millions of voters by refusing a revote in MI and FL and not debating Hillary in N.C. these are serious matters and if you run from these issues you can't be the president of the most powerful country in the world. Hillary or McCain that's all it comes down to in the end.

April 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Kent from TX

This race really is not that close. When was the last time Clinton won a state by >20%?

But more than that, how many Republicans is Hillary going to align herself with in her desperate attempt to get the White House. There's a reason why Governor Crist (R) in Florida is fighting so hard for the Democratic primary votes to count. It's because the Republicans know Hillary Clinton is MUCH easier for McCain to beat.

People hate Hillary. Rush Limbaugh and Fox News can't wait to make her the foil.

April 24, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |