April 24th, 2008

The popular vote debate

If Michigan and Florida are counted, Sen. Hillary Clinton is ahead in the popular vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is arguing that she is ahead of rival Sen. Barack Obama when it comes to the popular vote.

"I'm very proud that as of today, I have received more votes by the people who have voted than anyone else," Clinton said Wednesday, one day after her decisive win in Pennsylvania.

Not so fast, says Obama's campaign. Clinton's count includes her wins in Michigan and Florida, but the Democratic presidential candidates agreed not to campaign in those states because they violated party rules by scheduling their contests too early.

Full story

1. vocal minority

African Americans are very vocal for just 13% of the population. They demand an Obama win based on entitlement.

The other 87% is the silent majority. We vote for who will be the best president.

Obama stole this primary- it was fixed by the DNC in his favor, then the flawed undemocratic caucus format further favored him, the pro-Obama media bias then fueled his rock star climb. Twenty of 21 debates were biased for Obama. Clinton was throttled throughout.

Most of the Democrats believe in fair play and justice. The playing field was tilted against Clinton. We won't encourage that in our own party. We will not vote Obama in Nov if he steals this nomination.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. IHH

The woman is mentally ILL. Between wanting a nuclear war, thinking she engaged in sniper fire, raised 10.5 million dollars in a day (3.5 million), and everything else she thinks, she should be committed. Not elected.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. nathan

A President that changes the rules as they go along ?
    Hmmm ... sounds familier?

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. wwf

I should state that thanks to her, Obama has picked up 5 more votes from my family, all of them Independent females. Even they are tired of her.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Marc

Go Hillary, it's just a matter of time before the super delegates realize NObama has NO Hope.

President Hillary Clinton, 2008/2012

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. IAMWMD

This lady is turning out to be a bigger liar than "keep your hands on the wheel" Bill.

Could someone let them know they've lost.

Obama 08

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Deb Howieson

In other words,......the only states that count are the ones that Hillary won. The little states don't matter and it doesn't matter that Sen. Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan. It doesn't matter that she made an agreement at the onset of this primary season. She will go back on her word and wrap it in the clock of patriotism and caring for the American people. She didn't care at the onset and only "cares" now because she is in a desperate situation. Go away Hillary.....please. PS Dean needs to take some control of this party.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  8. Donj, NJ

can you believe the "Audacity of Lies" of senator Clinton? She even said it with a straight face.

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Hillary is scary

I really think that Sen. Clinton has some mental health troubles. She needs help. So does Bill. I know that her and Bill have to be in court tomorrow. I wonder how that will turn out and why is'nt the meida talking about it? I wish I could understand Clinton better. But I just can't. She is one scary lady

Obama 08

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. D Montoya, El Paso, TX

This really needs to end soon. She is the new mike huckabee. She can't mathematically win at this point unless some miracle happens, which is almost unlikely to happen. When do you call it a day?

April 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. Its got to be Hillary!!!!!!!!

It was his choice not to be on the Ballot in MI and he did campaigne in FL against the rules, so why is he not being penalized? he lost both those states, so eigther count them or have a re-vote, but Obama does'nt want the re-vote now that his dirty little secrets are out.

MI voter She scares me??? obiously you never encounter a real woman before, and you did'nt have to vote for her you chose to vote for her. so credit taken THANK YOU for your VOTE Sissy!!!

12. alice2

I don't get it -Why do we have to put up with this LOSER'S Crap? This is an insult to anyone's intelligence. She agreed to this rule, Barack's name was not on the ballot, they all agreed not to campaign, now she actually believes the votes for her should count? I say NO WAY. I am HOPEFUL that" the powers that are," say NO to this. I think they (DNC) need to hold to the rules they all agreed on.

13. AudacitytoBelievethisCRAP

Clinton's new low! This is the person that some of you want as your president?? How is it even a fair thought to count MI and FL's popular votes at this point? DNC and those state officials should have worked that out early on despite DNC rules set. Some other penalty should have been given instead of not allowing citizens of those states to vote– don't give the option to vote early PERIOD.

Senator Clinton is pulling the wool over your eyes. If she said the sky was purple you would agree. Just when I thought she couldn't get anymore transparent, her new "fighter" tactics rear their ugly head.

Not helping to get my vote Hillary! Let's play a different game.

SmarterFemaleVoter, GA

14. Shawn

The fact of the matter is that the Democratic Party shot itself in the foot when it decided to hastily react to the decisions of two states and subsequently disenfranchised thousands of Americans of their voice in the primary. There is absolutely no reason good enough to tell all of those people that their vote is not good enough to count. Shame on Howard Dean and these others who have punished the people for their leaders' mistakes. This is not the way we operate in America and the Democratic Party needs to make this right as soon as possible.

Hillary Clinton may have had her name on the ballots in those states, but she did not campaign there. Those who wished to vote for Obama, Edwards or any of the other candidates simply chose to vote as uncommitted or for another person. They had the chance to go out and send a message about their preference and the message they sent in both states was that they were in favor of Hillary Clinton.

Let's face it. Obama is not going to be able to carry these states that Hillary is winning. It's not going to happen. So when McCain sweeps the south, and he picks up the states that Obama lost (the biggest, with the most electoral votes), you silly people will all be up in arms over the fact that we'll have another four years of Republican "rule." Just the same as those who voted for Bush in the last election so that he could finish the war, you will be sorry for making Obama the Democratic nominee. Wake up and face reality people. Obama will not win against McCain. Clinton can only improve from here on out; all of her skeletons have been out in the open for years. What do we know about Obama? We'll know a lot more as soon as the Republicans decide it is time to take the gloves off.

HOWARD DEAN: DO THE RIGHT THING AND COUNT FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN. BE A CHAMPION OF FREEDOM AND AMERICAN IDEALS, NOT THOSE WHO MAKE DEALS IN BACK ROOMS.

April 24, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. Pamela (Oceanside, Ca)

Hillary, you've got to be kidding me. Your not winning in anything. You are notorious for changing the rules to fit your own agenda. That really makes me mad. I had no idea you were so dirty. Obama has had to do things the nation has never asked of another. He has won fair and square. When are you going to do whats good for the party and the country and go home. Your time came and went. You are only prolonging the agony of defeat. You should leave while your head is still able to be held up. You broke the rules in FL & MI and your not playing fair. What does that say about your character. ALLOT

16. Bitter Mom

This is crazy! I started the year excited about this election. Finally there were two candidates in the race that seemed to want to make a difference. They talked about bringing America back to a country that our children could believe in and be proud. I have watched the debates closely and it has become the same old game. Deception by the campaigns, the media and a twisting of words that are unbelievable. I live in Michigan. I am a white 48 year old with three teenagers (two in college). My husband has been out of work for 10 months and we have lost every bit of savings we have worked to attain in the last 25 years. We can't afford health care, car insurance for 3 kids is nuts, gas and food prices are outrageous and yes I am Bittter, Frustrated and Angry! At the time of the Michigan primary I didn't vote because the candidate I was leaning towards name was not on the ballot due to Michigan's governor not following the rules. Now Senator Clinton says she won Michigan! How is that possible? How can a candidate claim a victory when the rules were not followed? I knew the votes were not suppose to count in Florida and Michigan on the day those primaries were held. How can the voters say they were cheated -they knew in advance about the rules. There is two much scheming and lying. Now I am at the point that I don't want to vote for anyone. Talk about what will be good for this country and our children. I am sick of Rev. Wright, Bosnia, Ayres , and every other kitchen sick ambush junk that is being thrown by all three candidates. I thought this election was going to be different. Now this has turned out to be more of the same old lying politics. No one can make a difference – Shame on all of them!

17. CBJ06

I wonder why the media isn't challenging her on the fuzzy math skills? I love how she's able to change her mind and expects no one to say anything but for ANYONE else get ready. That's the problem I have with Sen. Clinton she agreed to the rules but I guess they didn't favor her in the long run so oh well. Just like she wasn't really expecting Sen. Obama to seriously challenge her in this race.

I guess that's a good example of how the "good old" rules can change.

Obama 08
    VA voter

18. Susan

Yes, Hillary needs to own up to her own failures! Always trying to change the rules! Does she not understand what rules are for? Or does she think that following rules is beneath her MOST ELITIST, SELF-CENTERED SELF? And why is the media not questioning HILLARY as to why SHE cannot close the deal since she was the shoe-in candidate when campaigning started?! The media and her campaign, of course, is making her PA win a lot more grandiose than it really is!! Her lead in PA was by 25 pts and Obama cut it down to less than 10?? Quite an accomplishment, considering the fact that she had Rendell and Nutter, etc. all behind her, the state was tailor-made for her to win demographically, and she had family ties in PA. NOW MAYBE SHE NEEDS TO ANSWER THE QUESTION AS TO WHY SHE ONLY WON BY LESS THAN 10 POINTS, DOWN FROM HER COMMANDING LEAD JUST A FEW WEEKS PRIOR TO TUESDAY???

19. Rick in Florida

RULES ONLY MATTER IF IT HELPS THE CLINTONS....OTHERWISE THEY KEEP MOVING THE GOAL POSTS WHENEVER IT SUITS THEIR NEEDS.

OPPORTUNISM....DISHONESTY....IMMORALITY....CLINTONS.......
    ALL SYNONYMOUS TERMS. SHE'S REALLY SCARY NOW.....

20. Obama Supporter Tired of the Karl Rove Playbook

Michigan Voter, she scares me too! Be afraid, be very afraid!

21. seanwhit

Superdelegate Wu Backs Obama In Oregon
    Oregon Rep. David Wu, one of Oregon's 12 Democratic superdelegates, announced Thursday that he'd back Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, citing Obama's stand against the Iraq war "from the very beginning."

Wu joins Oregon Rep. Earl Blumenauer in backing Obama. Gov. Ted Kulongoski and Rep. Darlene Hooley are supporting New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. The rest of Oregon's superdelegates have not yet announced their choice.

"We need new policies both at home and abroad," Wu said in a statement. "Like Americans, the international community wants to see real change in America and I believe that Senator Obama embodies that change."

The endorsement is an important win for Obama in one of the few states still to vote. Oregon's primary ballots are counted on May 20. Fox 12

22. North Carolina

Caucus states and states without delegates should count in the popular vote: "populus" = people. People voted. Just because some were stripped of delegates does not mean that the people didn't vote. Nor should we as a nation we can forget these voters have opinions and VOTED. Michigan ballot read: Todd, Gravel, Kucinich, Clinton, Uncommitted & write-in. BTW that's a lot more choices than I'll get in NC!

23. PA voter

If the media would just stay out of it and quit nitpicking & taking sides, things would be fine. So what if it hasn't been decided before the convention. Originally that was what the convention was all about. Each state anouncing how many votes they gave each candidate. Sometimes they would have to go thru the states several times to finally select a presidential candidate. Doesn't anyone remember those days? The conventions used to be fun. Now they are boring because everone knows who the candidates are before the conventions even begin. I say let it go to convention. It's good old fashion politics.

24. Megan

Just when I think she can't shock me anymore...... I don't even know how Obama's camp fights this type of lunacy without being "mean". Unbelievable!

25. rose, texas

even if he wasn't on ballot people could still write his name in , he was still a candidate that was running so what's the big deal. like hillary said if he can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. if he can't win the big states now , what makes him think that he can win in nov. that is what we need 2 b looking @. hillary all the way........

April 24, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |