April 24th, 2008

The popular vote debate

If Michigan and Florida are counted, Sen. Hillary Clinton is ahead in the popular vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is arguing that she is ahead of rival Sen. Barack Obama when it comes to the popular vote.

"I'm very proud that as of today, I have received more votes by the people who have voted than anyone else," Clinton said Wednesday, one day after her decisive win in Pennsylvania.

Not so fast, says Obama's campaign. Clinton's count includes her wins in Michigan and Florida, but the Democratic presidential candidates agreed not to campaign in those states because they violated party rules by scheduling their contests too early.

Full story

1. kevin

PS..... barack was not on the ballot because he

"removed himself from the ballot"

I guess this is just another poor judgement call by barack obama seeing as the "votes" that have already been cast are "valid" and this based on the same conteract he signed to and is using to lock out the MI and FL voters.

YOU CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS BARACK! EITHER THE VOTES COUNT OR DONT!

EITHER ACCEPT THE ELECTIONS IN FL AND MI (THAT THEY ACTUALLY OCCURED AND CAN BE PENALIZED BY NOT SEATING THE DELAGATES OR THAT THEY WERE INVALID TO BEGIN WITH AND WE NEED TO HAVE THE ELECTION REDONE!

SEE ABOVE POST!

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. arun

This is the best candidate to beat Mccain ?

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. leon PA

you dumb hillary voters a nother lie.

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. DB, San Francisco

She got more votes than I did in Michigan, too... Unless I change my name to Undecided, which I am considering as an easy way to get elected President in November.

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Sam, Muncie, Ind.

Is there any depths to which Clinton will not sink?

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. shirley

Why does the news media report Hillary's lies as though they were facts. Florida and Michigan do not count, the ruling was made by the DNC. Reporter's have printed Hillary's lie about it being Senator Obama who won't count the votes so many times that some people have forgotten the truth and believe Hillary's lie. Hillary was the only candidate on the ballot. Why isn't the news media reporting on the truth instead of reporting Hillary's lies as though they were facts? There is something fishy about this whole media bias towards Hillary.

April 24, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Agitated Voter

Being a former registered Republican (Conservative, White, Male), I decided to really listen to all of the candidates views before making my decision this election season.

I have decided to throw my support towards Senator Obama as I believe his is the only one that unite our country and get something accomplished in Washington. I also believe he will improve our status in the world community.

However, I am growing increasingly agitated with the Democratic Party, specifically Senator Clinton's continued lies and denials. She agreed not to count the votes in FL & MI if they went before their scheduled date. Now she wants them counted because she isd behind. This is ridiculous!

If this continues and she beats Barack up s much that he can't possibly win the general, I may have no other choice but to back McCain. C'mon Democrats (mainly Governor Dean)... put a stop to this and get your s**t together!!!

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Raul Alvarez

If this election is stolen from Senator Obama I for one will never participate in an election again. I would have never have thought that Bill and Hillary Clinton would ever stoop so low to steal an elections.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Jan

It was not the fault of voters–fact is, the democrats need those 2 states to help win the election. Barack's people campaigned with ads in Florida and in person in Michigan–whether he was there in person or not is moot–Hilary did not campaign–and still won. The Supers have the right to take all that into consideration when they cast their votes. If any of the voters are left out, they will not play Obamas game in November..You can bet your mortgage on it!

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. Joseph Adewole

This 'woman' is desperate; she will mis-speak again.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. Dave in NJ

Hillary is a lying manipulative spoiled brat. I can't keep up with how many times she has changed her crazed view of arguing why she should be nominated. It is what it is, she has not won and she can not win, period. She is from the old school, meaning she should know how to count. If our children counted like her, and then tried to convince the parents that the teacher was wrong, how much further behind would our children be, compared to the rest of the world. The Clintons are the worst examples to put before our children.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. The American People

She is WRONG on Michigan. And if they actually held an REAL election with both candidates on the ballot, Obama would destroy her. Wrong, wrong, wrong Clinton!

Also she signed an agreement on Michigan and broke the promise... the Clinton way.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Lisa

Clinton is not going to stop until something happens with the Flordia and Michigan vote. It's weird how Barack refuses to allow a revote. He bascially saying forget the people Flordia and Michigan I don't care if your vote doesn't count.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. Paula Miller

The reason why Obama cannot close the deal is that Clinton has extremely negative ads just before the primary date (24 hrs.) . She is trying to scare people into voting for her. It has worked, so she keeps doing that. If the general population as well as the superdelegates recognize this, I will be easy to realize that it will take a little longer to close the deal since Obama does not run negative ads unless as a rebutal to hers. In the end, the race will end with Obama securing the nomination. Superdelegates are not stupid. They will realize that the Clinton machine will stop at nothing to win. This time, it will not work.
    If it does, Where is Ralph Nader? He will play a large part in who wins in November. I for one will not vote for Hillary Clinton. I would have if she hadn't played such a dreadful race. If she steals the election, I will vote for Ralph Nader. I am a 66yr. old white woman from CA.

Paula CA

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. You Will Get Yours

Clinton, Bush, Clinton, Bush... Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So Sad.

April 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Rafique, New York

Stop telling lies to American people. Educated honest and conscious people do not rust you anymore. You do not have facts on your claim that you got more popular votes han Obama. We have seen on poll people think Obama is more honest than Hillary, I think that really important for a candidate to run for president.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Craig

I have to be completely honest here. I started off, being a Democrat and really liking Bill Clinton, so I liked his wife, too. She has become too negative and has divided the party. I have switched to Obama. Also (and I never thought I would say this), if Hillary does win the nomination for Democrat, I will either vote independent or Republican. I still tend to lean Democratic, but I don't see Hillary as being a Democrat. I have lost a lot of respect for politics and even more respect for her.

If she wants to be a typical politician, let her keep fumbling the numbers in her direction. Sure, I would win in MI if my name was the only one of the ballot, too.

Shame on you Hillary.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. BK

CNN when you are reporting that Obama was not on the ballet in Michigan you need to tell the viewers why. HE WAS ON THE BALLET IN MICHIGAN AND HE REMOVED HIS OWN NAME. Please report fairly.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Edward--Michigan

Clinton is right–she has won the popular vote. You can count the "undecided" votes in MI for Obama–she still won. In November Florida and Michigan votes will be counted and I bet you Florida will definitely not vote for Obama. Obama people–you should just chill out and realize that he will never win in the general election, never. America will not vote for a black president, as simple as that. If he is the nominee of the democratic party–welcome McCain into the White House.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  20. KJ, GA

This is a psychological ploy. Clinton would like people to think she is ahead, so that future states that are yet to vote might think "Oh, she's ahead now, maybe she is the better candidate!"
    She's counting on americans being mindless, ignorant followers and that's a mistake. Truly enlightened and intelligent americans (most of us) cannot be swayed so easily.

OBAMA 08!

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Adam, LV, NV

Well no matter how fuzzy it is, she is right... Even with caucus results, it estimates she has about 11,000 more votes.

And it is "fair game" as much as some hate to admit it, the DNC said the Delegates would not be seated, they made no mention of the popular vote not counting.

So, technically she has more votes cast for her. Obama would probably still technically have more votes for him had he not removed his name from the ballot in Michigan.....

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. jeff from Geneva

She gives Obama 0 votes from Michigan in her "new" math...Give it up already and let the democratic party turn its attention on McCain so they can pile up on him like yesterday when he gives a free trade speech in front of closed plant in Ohio.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Liz

Obama did run ads in Florida even though they agreed not to campaign there. My question is why did he not want a revote in Florida?? It was all set up and good to go and his camp did not want it. If the tables were turned and the Clinton camp did that, people would be outraged.

The RULES also apply to Super Delegates choosing who they feel is best qualified to run the country. Obama feels they should choose according to the will of the people. So does that include all of the people or just the people/votes he feels should be counted??

Without the votes of Michigan and Florida there will always be questions about the validity of this primary. Who would want to win that way?? Who other than Bush that is.

April 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. running away

Obama,

Why did you run away from a re-vote in MI and FL? You should of considered a re-vote. All problems are because of you.

April 24, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  25. either

No wonder she's in debt. She can't count.

April 24, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |