April 24th, 2008

The popular vote debate

If Michigan and Florida are counted, Sen. Hillary Clinton is ahead in the popular vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is arguing that she is ahead of rival Sen. Barack Obama when it comes to the popular vote.

"I'm very proud that as of today, I have received more votes by the people who have voted than anyone else," Clinton said Wednesday, one day after her decisive win in Pennsylvania.

Not so fast, says Obama's campaign. Clinton's count includes her wins in Michigan and Florida, but the Democratic presidential candidates agreed not to campaign in those states because they violated party rules by scheduling their contests too early.

Full story

1. Pat

You have to count the caucus states. Picking and choosing what counts and what does not then declaring oneself ahead is silly. Reporting it as real news is irresponsible. Acting like this race is so very close is a little crazy on Hillary's part. She needs to win all the rest of the contest by about 70% to over take Obama in pledged delegates, not impossible but very very unlikely. Her asking her supporters for more money is really unkind of her.

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. Eric-Illinois

Oh great. Notice that the only comments shoowing up are the ones against Hillary. Others are Awaiting"..what's up with that?

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  3. Man on fire

More spin from a desperate campaign. I guess she does'nt check RCP Obama 50% Clinton 42%

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. Sarah in TX

1 + 1 = 3

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Ray Barcelo

What is happening to this country are we all so blind that we can't see this man is named Obama. Do you all think that's just a coincidence. Your probably the same people that voted for this IDIOT that we have as a PRESIDENT.
    What fault is it of ours in Florida that we voted and our vote doesn't count.We vote these IDIOTS into office then they go and do what they want and we as voters,which we feel our votes are worthless anyway, pay the conciquences. We have become so partison we no longer care about each other. That's what this lousy president has done for this country.

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  6. "Animal

Where does this lady come from?... What is she thinking?.. I dont think that she understands... this is not about the popular vote.. Its all about DELEGATES.

Its the way primaries have been set up for years and years... and nothing is going to change that...

So stop being a whiner Hillary and run like a president should run.. You are just one step away from becoming a mockery to the political system.

April 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  7. Amy

She'll say and do anything to get her corrupt family back in the White House. How can you claim votes that don't count. She knows very well that she agreed to Florida & Michigan not being included because they broke the rule. They only broke the rule because she thought she would have won everything on Super Tuesday. Now she wants to back up like a crawfish. Typical Clinton.

April 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  8. HawkGuy

After 7 years and counting of an administration that has virtually set itself above the law and ignored statutes to achieve its own agenda, I've been looking forward to either Democrat providing an alternative.

After hearing Bill Clinton make analogies to sports like 'if you're going to play the game, you've got to expect to be clipped occasionally' or Hillary's creative math in counting votes in states that, by agreed upon rules, could not be tabulated, I'm growing tired and wary of a return to the White House by the Clinton's. Bill's sports analogies are promoting illegal, penalizable actions on a sports field okay because it's a rough sport and so much is at stake. Hillary apparently wants the position so badly that bending, ignoring or creatively interpreting existing rules and laws is okay, so long as the Dems get the White House back.

At present, I'll vote for either Dem over John McCain. I'll vote for Obama willingly because I'll take the chance his rhetoric has real meaning behind it. Given what I've seen of Hillary in the last few primaries when things look dim for her prospects, I'm starting to see a disturbing resemblance to the existing philosophies on to whom rules and laws apply such as has become the norm in the White House for the past 7 years.

So, if it's Hillary vs McCain come November, I'll probably vote Hillary - but hold my nose and my breath while doing so.

April 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  9. JLV

Michigan Voter, there was also a large percentage of voters who voted "Uncommitted" – so I disagree – you did not "kind of had to vote for [Hillary]..."

Please take credit for your own vote – and not the rest of Michigan's voters.

April 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  10. Barbara

Our Republican-controlled state legislature is responsible for moving the Florida primary to an earlier date. I, as an individual voter, did not have a choice as to when my vote would/could be cast. I voted for Hillary and am angry that the Democratic party does not honor my vote. I think that the party had better rethink "punishing" Florida and Michigan because it is the individual voters who will be punished rather than those truly responsible.
    Obama's caucus and smaller state victories do not seem to accurately reflect the Democratic party as a whole and I cannot imagine how Obama will be able to win against McCain particularily when most of the populous states and those with great diversity were won by Hillary.

April 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Whatever

What a load of hypocritical hogwash. Just toss Obama's "It's the popular vote that counts" line out the window. The Michigan and Florida popular vote is UNpopular in his corner.

April 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  12. Jay

Shenanigans! I declare Shenanigans. everyone get your broom, let's brush this lunatic of a candidate back into the 1990's where she belongs.

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Double Standard

She already said she will DO anything to win.... If that means fuzzy math – then so be it...

I think the media favors Clinton. It seems that every time she or Bill or Chelsea sneeze – it is covered - in much more favorable light than Obama gets...

Just my opinion...

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. Nora

It is like dog years I guess ,or is this the really new Math!!!

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. Spirit of America

Have Florida and Michigan been excommunicated from the USA???
    Of course those votes count, whether bureaucrats and party bosses think they do or not. Every vote counted, every voter counts. Or would we rather have a tyranny run by party bosses?

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. Dick / NH

Hillary is delusional.....since when do votes taken in elections that she HERSELF agreed were NOT going to count, now count???

The Mistress of Spin is at it again!! Maybe we should just call her by the name she has EARNED....THAT would be "LIAR"!

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  17. Nic

I wish making up whatever math suits you had been in vogue when I was in high school and her husband was president. I would have gotten much better grades in it.

Terrifying that any reasonable person could buy into this. Even though I disagree with them, I know she has plenty of perfectly reasonable supporters, and if they don't look askance at this, I hope they'll at least write it off instead of actually trying to perpetuate it. It's flat-out nonsense.

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Sean

And the goalposts keep moving. You can't keep changing the rules to suit your needs.

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. Jerry

Hillary got some fuzzy math going but what do you expect
    from a Clinton. Remember the other one, who said "I never had
    sexual relations with that woman". Maybe all those people in
    Pennsylvania want another Clinton back in the White House.

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Shirley-Ohio

You don't have more of the popular vote, you cannot catch Obama in the popular vote, the superdelegates will not take the nomination away from Obama and give it to you. Come on Hillary take your loss, paid off your debt and work on getting you 5 million dollary loan back.

You are done girly, not matter what happens.

April 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  21. SueB

And when you count in the people who didn't actually vote but who would have voted for Hillary if they had voted; the lead is even bigger!
    And if you count in the people who aren't born yet, but, who would vote for Clinton if they were here on earth now–bigger still!
    And if you count dead people who would have voted for Hillary if they were still alive…..

vote early and vote often–but only if you vote for Clinton

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. David

Math of the privileged.

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. Anthony, Palm Beach

There is no debate. If President Bush today announced the sky is purple, would that be up for debate? This is lunacy!

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. Maryland voter

The votes should not count until they no longer matter.
    It is only fair for people who break the rules should not prosper.

April 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. Juliemn

If I was Obama ,I would count MI and FL, he cant win in November without them! Not to mention ,they keep making noise, and his tv ads he ran in Florida before their primary, will be shown again.

I also do not like being threatened by wars and riots if Obama is not handed the nomination! I'm probably not alone on this.

April 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |