April 24th, 2008

The popular vote debate

If Michigan and Florida are counted, Sen. Hillary Clinton is ahead in the popular vote.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton is arguing that she is ahead of rival Sen. Barack Obama when it comes to the popular vote.

"I'm very proud that as of today, I have received more votes by the people who have voted than anyone else," Clinton said Wednesday, one day after her decisive win in Pennsylvania.

Not so fast, says Obama's campaign. Clinton's count includes her wins in Michigan and Florida, but the Democratic presidential candidates agreed not to campaign in those states because they violated party rules by scheduling their contests too early.

Full story

1. Earl R.

Last time I checked, Florida and Michigan are both part of the United States of America.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. Jack from Texas

She's right, the votes count. It's just the delegates are not seated.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. mdg

She says: "I'm very proud that as of today, I have received more votes by the people who have voted than anyone else,"

Hmmm...and what about the caucus results? I guess she doesn't "count" them because they weren't "votes"?

She must have different definitions of the words "count" and "vote" than the rest of us! Oh, right – "is"once had a different meaning to Bill....

No 3rd term for these 2!

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Brian

Talk about fuzzy math! Her tally doesn't include any of the caucuses and includes MI and FL. Obama was not on the ballot in Michigan so you couldn't vote for him if you wanted to. If Hillary actually cared about voters opinions she would raise this fact (but then I guess she couldn't manipulate the numbers in her favor). Neither candidate campaigned in Florida. Obama has consistently improved his numbers in every state the more he campaigns there as we saw in PA where he was able to reduce Clinton's lead from 25% to 10%. I guess if you aren't winning in any category then you have to resort to lying to make it appear that you have a win.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Colie Brice

WHEN do the lies and distortions stop!

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. Jamaal Kansas

This is Madness I am Tired of the Media Believing what these Clinton People tell yo No it is about Delagates and that is how the nomination is decided. Barack has won more Delagates, More Popular Vote, and more States if the Superdelagates Believe this Crap I wil March On Denever.

April 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Linda. Boston, MA

100% FALSE!!! People also voted in a few caucus states where Obama won, and she is NOT counting those votes in her imaginary math. If you do, in fact, count ALL the votes of people who cast them, then Obama is AHEAD. That is a FACT. And thats even if you give her MI where Obama wasn't even on the ballot. And when you also factor in the remaining states, of which Obama WILL win more of the popular vote, it's quite clear – Obama is about to be the candidate who receives the MOST votes ever (along with a few other records that he's broken this primary).

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. southerndem

LOL This is priceless. Don't count caucus states, count states that were disqualified (which was agreed on by BOTH candidates) with only one of their names on the ballot. My Lord is this campaign getting desperate. I tell you what Hillary, rather than making up math, why don't you get some pratctice at mathematics by trying to balance your campaigns budget and pay the small businesses that provided your campaign with services, by the time your done ,you will notice you have a negative number left over, VERY FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE.

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. julie - oakland, ca

Counting Florida and Michigan, or not counting Florida and Michigan, it is so close, I don't feel that either one of them is ahead.

When the 'rules' were set up, I doubt anyone ever imagined a race to be so close....I don't know why Senator Obama's camp (not necessarily him himself) is reluctant for a re-vote...I think it would be a good way for him to 'wrap this up' by showing that he CAN win those votes...
    or not....unfortunately we will never know and one 'side' is going to feel cheated....

(Still, we MUST remember, that we are on different 'sides' of the same coin....)

I have a preference for one over the other, but I will be voting:

Democrat '08
    regardless

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Michigan Voter

UH, Barack wasn't on our ballot, we kind of had to vote for you...please don't take credit for that.

She scares me.

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Ric

Sorry Obama, a vote is a vote. The delegates are in dispute,. NOT the people who stood in line to vote. This is why Mc Cain will win. Never disenfranchize voters. Especially in Florida!! (Remember 2000? Ask Al Gore.....)

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. bitter_in_pa

Get this woman a strait-jacket.

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Conservative over 40 for Obama from NY

I really don't understand why the news media(s) (and that would be all of them), spew such garbage. Quite frankly it is well documented the Ms. Clinton is a liar. The fact that News outlets print any of her words is a disservice to many . Its such a shame that so many people in our great country take news articles as truth (and they do) ...With such serious issues facing our Country the News outlets (again all of them) are nothing more than a ratings game being played with articles worthy of any rag magizine. My prayer every night is that the majority of people in our great Nation would care enough to once again place integrety and truth back into OUR White House, OUR Nation which has been missing since the 90'S and somewhere within the News media. I

April 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. Kris

Yea, sure. Ignore the rules, except when they suit you. You are behind, so add in Michigan and Florida. If Obama did that, I am sure you will accept that as well or better than he is doing.

There is definitely something to be said for a long campaign. it helps us figrue out who they all are – and while I thought I knew who Hillary was, what she is doing now helps me better understand who she really is and what she will really do if she is ever elected.

Is there a country out there without the lunatic and parasitic politicians like we have in the US of A? Please?

15. tim in carroll ia

Hillary, will you stop insulting people's intellegence! We're not stupid out here! The Michigan and Florida votes don't count! You didn't win by being the only one who ignored the rules! You're like the person who speeds away from a red light and thinks they beat the car next to them off the line! You're living in your own fantasy! It's no wonder you have a 58% (and growing) negative rating! You're the Richard Nixon, Pete Rose and Barry Bonds of this election! They didn't think the rules applied to them either!

16. Enrique

Hillary Clinton is full of it. Does she really think that we're all idiots?? Proving once again that she'll lie and cheat to win this.

17. Really?

Every time I re-consider my support for Obama, HRC says something dumb like this. She should repeat her speech following the Pa primary, shut her husband up and "hope" for the best. This is a ridiculous argument.

18. Michael G Ventura, CA

The fuzzy math – brought to you by: Desperate politician 2008.
    I see she's still trying to slip the numbers from Michigan and Florida in there---Michigan didn't have Obama on the ballot! Get real for once in your life and accept defeat gracefully.
    No wonder your ratings with America are in the toilet!

19. proud army and navy mom

how any one with an ounce of brain can vote for this insane liar is absolutely breathtaking. they are probably the same people who put Bush in the Whitehouse.

20. Erik

This is the equivalent of a basketball player reaching over the scorer's table to adjust the scoreboard for shots made during the warm-ups. The reality is that these votes don't count – there was no opposition on the court.

21. UNBELIEVABLE!

Clinton is CLAWING with her fingernails for any type of lead.

This is sooo desperate. Obama wasn't even on the MI Ballot !!!!!!

22. gerard morei

Regardless if they votes count or not, in reality she is wining the popular vote. Do not forget that senator Obama did pput some T.v ads in Florida and anybody who don't believed,just ask for the television records for that date, I was in Florida then and I watched those commercials. In Michigan that was his choice but his campaign encoraged they supporters to vote in Blank. Hillary have to bring this point into the table from now and on until the convention.
    Hillary for President 2009!!!!!

23. DEE in fla

She is CRAZY....

SHE DID NOT WIN MI.....OR FLORIDA....

I live in FLA.. and if there was a revoat she will winn in FLA very small.. and she might even loose.... but if MI votes are re done alson...OBAMA would win that state for sure

SHE IS STUPID

24. Christian, Tampa FL

Does this count the caucus states? I thought that the caucuses didn't count the popular vote. Those need to be considered.

Plus, Michigan shouldn't be counted at all and even with Florida Obama is still ahead. He'll also get a lot of votes in NC.

25. lia,denver

Surprised? Clintons can turn around any rules that do not favor them... How lame! And CNN is their amplifier...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26