April 25th, 2008

Blitzer: Could John Edwards finally pick a candidate?

An Edwards endorsement could make a difference.
An Edwards endorsement could make a difference.

(CNN) – With the North Carolina Democratic presidential primary coming up, the pressure will increase on former North Carolina Senator and Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

A formal endorsement from Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, potentially could make a difference in that May 6 primary, especially if they decide to go out and campaign aggressively throughout the state during their final days. Both Edwardses remain very popular among the state’s Democratic base.

There have been intriguing hints that both John and Elizabeth Edwards are leaning in favor of Clinton, but they have avoided any formal announcement. John Edwards has declined most interview requests since dropping out of the presidential contest.

Earlier this month, Elizabeth Edwards, a cancer survivor, said she supports Hillary Clinton’s health care plan over the one put forward by Barack Obama.

“In order to ensure that we have universal coverage, we need to say everybody has to join,” she told ABC News. “So, for that reason, the mandates that Sen. Clinton is talking about, I think are going to be more successful in achieving the goal.”

She added: “I just have more confidence in Sen. Clinton’s policies than Sen. Obama’s on this particular issue.”

Still, she and her husband have stopped short of offering any formal endorsement though some of their former campaign aides also seem to be leaning toward Clinton.

So let’s see if they change their minds and endorse a candidate before the primary. If they do, that could have a real impact.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Robb, New York

Edwards is closer on the political spectrum to Obama than he is to Clinton. Two words from Obama's mouth to Edwards' ears should seal the deal: Attorney General.

April 25, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Ric

Democrats for Mc Cain!

April 25, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. California Girl

Senator Edwards:

Did I forget to mention: Hillary/Edwards08

April 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. Tony, Miami

John Edwards always campaign with fair play which makes me think he will be endorsing OBAMA. His wife has the right to vote for Hillary if she wants to.

April 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. Pooh496

Go Hillary!!!!

April 25, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. FW

Edwards needs to show leadership. Is he waiting to support the winner of this contest so he could become the next AG?
    Make up your mind already and stop playing politics!

April 25, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. sivananthi

There are a lot of misinterpretations and misunderstandings taking place..

I personally think that Hillary should reach out to the african american people and talk to them not for just votes but to unite the conutry…

African american people will give her a chance if she reaches out to them…

Hillary 08.

April 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Boston for OBAMA

Too Little Too LATE.............Period

April 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

To: Voting for Hillary

You are a foolish racist bigot. You don't belong in my America.

April 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Say NO to B.O.

Edwards should endorse Clinton. Her policies are closer to his.

April 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. JJ

Thank God Edwards quit. if he can't make a decision by now this was not the man we wanted to make the quick response decisions that Hillary will have to make.

April 25, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. Joel, Pittsburgh, PA

>>He rudely insulted the people of Pennsylvania,

No, he did not. Not this gun-owning, churchgoing Democrat at any rate. Please stop telling me what offends me, I'm quite capable of figuring that out on my own.

April 25, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. independent.

I think they'll back Clinton and make NC close. But I really hope not.

April 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. M.G.

If I was mandated to take my companies health insurance I would lose my house.

April 25, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  15. Smith

Edwards should be CAREFUL not to align themselves

with the democratic suicide bombers – Hillary and Bill

Take down the party with them if they can't be the leaders.

I interpret Hillary's recent comments to mean that

SHE TOO will vote for McCain.

two faced snaked toungue scum!

They do NOT have this country's best interests in mind, only their own!

April 25, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Jill in Chicago: (I like your post, although I support Obama, by the way)

You said "Hillary is tenacious and she is fighting hard for all the right reasons."

I had to chuckle at that because she fights hard, but there isn't anything "right" about her" reasons"!

April 25, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. corin

john edwards would be a fool not to endorse obama. every major endorsement edwards had went to obama after edwards dropped out of the race. this should send edwards a vital message. However edwards will not committ to endorsing anybody. Mrs.Edwards for that matter couldnt even give a valid reason why she endorsed hillary healthcare plan versus obama she was stuck..... i witnessed this on an interview she did 2 weeks ago! Bottomline who cares who edwards may endorse he should just stay on the sidelines

April 25, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Get Real

For those of you who are making this a black and/or white issue, you are ignorant. Edwards is a fine man. I feel he should endorse the person who wins his state which at this point looks like it may be Obama. However, Kerry, Kennedy and Richardson didn't go the way of their constituents so if Edwards endorses Hillary, it would be fair by Dem standards. I am hoping that whoever wins...Obama or Hillary...they would give Edwards serious consideration for Attorney General. He would be awesome at that job. In our current state of affairs we need a great AG.

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. james

Jill in Chicago: (I like your post, although I support Obama, by the way)

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. GloriafromPA

Are there really people out there who would change there vote based on what Edwards thinks. If he can't make up his mind for months, he must be confused and should not be given any weight. He could have made a difference a long time ago, but he met with the candidates to get a sweetheart deal and they told him to yalk a walk, a very long walk. I guess he is hoping his opinion will have more value if he waits.

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. Amy

If Edwards is true to himself, he will back Obama. At every chance during the debates, he likened himself to Obama, wiling to bring change to Washington as an outsider. My fear, however, is that Hillary has once again bought his support with a promise of a cabinet position, or even the VP job. If he supports Clinton, it will be because of a backroom deal, like so many of Hillary's are.

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Saad from NJ

Whoever flies Senator Edwards to an exotic place in Europe to the most expensive hair cut spa will win his backing.

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |