April 25th, 2008

Blitzer: Could John Edwards finally pick a candidate?

An Edwards endorsement could make a difference.
An Edwards endorsement could make a difference.

(CNN) – With the North Carolina Democratic presidential primary coming up, the pressure will increase on former North Carolina Senator and Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

A formal endorsement from Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, potentially could make a difference in that May 6 primary, especially if they decide to go out and campaign aggressively throughout the state during their final days. Both Edwardses remain very popular among the state’s Democratic base.

There have been intriguing hints that both John and Elizabeth Edwards are leaning in favor of Clinton, but they have avoided any formal announcement. John Edwards has declined most interview requests since dropping out of the presidential contest.

Earlier this month, Elizabeth Edwards, a cancer survivor, said she supports Hillary Clinton’s health care plan over the one put forward by Barack Obama.

“In order to ensure that we have universal coverage, we need to say everybody has to join,” she told ABC News. “So, for that reason, the mandates that Sen. Clinton is talking about, I think are going to be more successful in achieving the goal.”

She added: “I just have more confidence in Sen. Clinton’s policies than Sen. Obama’s on this particular issue.”

Still, she and her husband have stopped short of offering any formal endorsement though some of their former campaign aides also seem to be leaning toward Clinton.

So let’s see if they change their minds and endorse a candidate before the primary. If they do, that could have a real impact.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Matt

being from NC, I can't believe the national love-fest Edwards has gotten after dropping out considering the sentiment to him over the past years. Just four years ago he was deemed too inexperienced. Hell...that was the knock on him this year too. Funny thing is, Obama has more political experience than Edwards.

April 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Barock

I have a feeling that the opinion of this family is divisive, which would finally keep them short of endorsing any of them.

April 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. LB

For the good of the Democratic party he should endorse Obama. Why would he want to influence the American people that we need to keep the same old dirty politic in the White House by endorsing Clinton.

April 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I think it may be too late for some of Edward's supporters.

Many have already become Independents–and given the choices–will probably just give up and vote Libertarian–especially now that a party platform eliminating the war on drugs. No government on my back–and reefer too!! Go Libertarians!!!

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Noah

I am sure if John or Elizabeth endorse Hillary, the Obama supporters will do there best to destroy him also.

Obama people. Stop using race as an excuse. Stop using level of education as an excuse. Stop the bashing and talk about the issues, if you can. You hardly see a positive Obama supporter that talks about his plans( details, not retoric) and all you see is Obama people tearing down Clinton.

It will be the Obama supporters fault if Obama loses. The constant thing I hear everywhere I go is how negative and hateful his supporters are and how that does not gel with his hope and change retoric.

Stop the anti-Clinton hate, be proud of your candidate and blog about the issues. I can tell you from reading your post for 6 months, you education argument is lacking. If having a degree makes you hateful, I will give mine back.

Grow up, stop attacking a person who has dedicated their life to public service to support your reasons why Obama should be President.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Look byond

We know he wants to endorse Hilary, so his best move was when he push the wife ahead to say she supports Hilary's Health Care against Obama's.

Why dont' you just come out of the closet Mr. Edwards. Why are you hiding in that mask of yours.

Come out an endorse Hilary, that's what you want any way. No one will bite you, you are a citizen, don't you?
    You are a free man to make your own decision, that's why I respect Bill Richardson

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. racial tension

Race will be too much of a distraction/issue in an Obama presidency.

There has been a ridiculous hyper-sensitivity in this campaign to any slight reference to race.

There WAS and still IS nothing racist about Bill Clinton's comments. I am biracial. Trust me. There is nothing racist about stating the obvious- that Jesse Jackson won in SC- helped by being black.

Obama now carries the black vote- why? Because he is black.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. GM

Edwards would lose all credibility if he endorsed Clinton. Others would have long memories should he decide to try again in 2012. He certainly wold lose the majority of the African American community...the man is no fool...better he not endorse at all.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. Olivia

Edwards for Clinton, I hope.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. James, IN

Edward should stop being a Chicken. The party is going down the drain. He should be a man and speak up. We need him now.

April 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. proud army and navy mom

get off th fence Edwards. is he a superdelegate?

April 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Belle-Seattle

After Obama's comments in San Francisco, I doubt Edwards will back him.

April 25, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Seattle Voter

Senator Edwards, you were my candidate. Unfortunately, you didn't make it. Since Hillary is my second choice due to the fact that I'm a woman, I will support her. People called her "LIAR" among other things but I will support her because she's been tested over and over again. I know now that no matter what the circumstance she will never quit to do the right thing for the American people. I hope you will support her.

April 25, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. T.C.

I supported John Edwards and will lose all respect for him if he supports Clinton and her outrageously dishonest campaign; trigger happy foreign policy; and un-abashed corporate interests.

April 25, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. greenfun

Elizabeth Edwards-another brilliant, courageous, inspiring, tenacious woman.

April 25, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. Democrats Rule

Mr. Edwards – Please, please, please – go for hope and not hate. You have been a public servant of integrity and a voice for all. Please speak up now (and please do it for Senator Obama). God speed!

April 25, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. debbie

Susan MO:

He did not rudely insult PA. You people should read. He was answering a question. He asked the foot soldiers to be understanding when they talk to the voters in PA, because of what they have gone through......

But you wouldn't know that because you listen to everything the backyardigans say at camp sillary.........

"Reading is FUNdamental, and Educational."

April 25, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Sandra Satterfield

I don't understand your statement that some of Edward's former aids also appear to support Clinton when 48 of them came out for Obama earlier this week.

April 25, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Seth

Edwards simply can't endorse Clinton and not be labeled a hypocrite, and some will say worse.

April 25, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. S Mick

You obviously want power to do something good, or you would not have run for President. You now have the power to do something good for your party and your county.

Endorse Obama...

It's a win! win!

Timing is everything... soon you will be powerless! Your vote won't count for anything.

Someone needs to stop the Clinton's, I think they have both gone off the deep end!

April 25, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. Doug--Los Angeles, CA

I hope Edwards & his wife endorse Sen Clinton & campaign for her in North Carolina. That would help her to close the gap. Who knows–she may even win North Carolina with their help!

April 25, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. b-liberal

Don't be afraid of the wrath of the OZombies! She needs it now to put her over the top.

He would be a very brave man to risk the Obama thugs calling him all manner of names, but I think a lot of americans would be very happy for his support. I don't want a cult, fear based leader in the Whitehouse.

I hope he won't cave in to the Obama lies.

Go Hillary!

April 25, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. McCain Sucks

If Edwards endorsed Hillary, he will shoot his political career in the foot!

April 25, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. Cammi317

Elizabeth Edward said “I just have more confidence in Sen. Clinton’s policies than Sen. Obama’s on this particular issue.” THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE, she did not say overall. I thinks it's Obama.....

April 25, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. mama4obama

If we are to talk about healthcare....

I have a very big question.....

Will Hillary's healthcare cover all AMERICANS....or everyone in this country?

Reason I want to know....becuase I am sick and tired of paying for the frealoaders that cross into this country illegally and suck the life out of all of the resources that AMERICANS pay into.

Im tired of paying for the dead weight.

If we could ever have a debate that didnt surround flag pins, race and gender...maybe my question could be answered.

April 25, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |