April 25th, 2008

Clinton hits McCain over New Orleans comments

McCain traveled to New Orleans Friday.
McCain traveled to New Orleans Friday.

(CNN) - On the heels of John McCain's visit to New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward, Hillary Clinton said Thursday night she has a better record of fighting to rebuild the Hurricane-ravaged region.

"The difference between Senator McCain and myself is that I have a long record of fighting to rebuild the Gulf and to help the citizens who live along the Gulf who were left to their own devices by their government," Clinton said at an Indiana event. "In fact, Senator McCain said he might want to tear down the ninth ward instead of rebuilding it, but I went to the ninth ward after Katrina and met with people there and saw the destruction and I saw the resilience in their eyes and they deserve our help to rebuild and regain their lives and their homes."

Clinton appears to be referring to comments McCain made Monday on board his campaign bus: "That is why we need to go back - to have a conversation about what to do - rebuild it, tear it down - you know -whatever it is," he said then.

But speaking in New Orleans Thursday night, McCain seemed to rule out the possibility of tearing down the area.

"There may be some who wonder from afar: Why even bother rebuilding parts of what was lost in Katrina? But the people who live there in the Ninth Ward don't feel that way. They are even hoping that life will be better than before," he said

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Eddie

McCain said a lot of things I found stupid,like he did not attend haggard church for 20 years when asked about him,so he deflect a question by changing the subject to someone else.I think he will do the same,when America has a problem he will start talking about what is going on in Panama.We have a double standard in America and We need to bring change,if he cannot be blamed for what people around him say,Then why blame Obama who disowned those words as McCain did Haggard.And please do not say he was a member of the church for 20 years.You have not asked all catholics to leave thier church because of the pastors who they listened to for 20 years are child molesters,does that make them all child molesters.

April 25, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Norma, IN

He's a flip-flopper and she's a liar. What's the difference.

We need a change in Washington.

Obama 08

April 25, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  3. Chriss

Now, she imagines she has been fighting for katrina victims. When? Where?

How?

Results? – Nothing.

HRC needs a vacation!

Time to give Hillary the time off to rest she so desparately needs so she suffers no more delusions about sniper fire, for whom she was named, her daughter at the twin towers on 9/11 …

Indiana and North Carolina, please do your part to help this poor woman.

Vote Obama!

April 25, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Justin

I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm just glad someone is going after McCain.

April 25, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. shirley

Hillary is no different from McCain, she showed up in New Orleans and had her picture taken but I did not hear her speaking out against Bush's handling of the crisis. In fact, Hillary did not speak out even once against anything Bush proposed until she started running for President.

April 25, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. After further review,Texas

He should have told the truth and that is, just like the jobs we lost to out-sourcing and in-sourcing via N1B1 visas etc.,THE 9TH WARD will never be rebuilt.

April 25, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Adriane

Hillary is just telling people what they want to hear again. McCain didn't say anything about tearing down the Ninth Ward in fact he stated the opposite. I don't like either of these candidates but I'm starting to wonder if Hillary is the worst of the two.

OBAMA 08

April 25, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. vjh

Funny....I don't recall HRC visiting New Orleans after Katrina, another fabrication?

April 25, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. David, Silver Spring MD

Clinton has "a long record of fighting to rebuild the Gulf..."???

Unless I'm out of my mind, Katrina was less than three years ago. Is that all it takes to establish a "long record"?

I applaud the things Clinton has done to help the New Orleans area, just as I applaud the things Barack Obama has done. But for Hillary to claim a "long record" is just nonsense. Or worse yet, just words. Just words.

April 25, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  10. Brian

She is making a good case to be McCain's VP

April 25, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  11. michael, ny

Hillary is at the core of everything that is wrong with Washington. All she does, is bad mouth people.

April 25, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. Will - Phoenix

And if she uses the word "resilience" one more time, I swear, that seems to be the only vocabulary word she knows when talking about those who are less fortunate or who's lives were ruined by natural disaster. But, hey...whatever it takes...huh Hill? Is it me or is her husband looking a tad bit like an alcoholic...flushed out face, crazy politics...things that make you go hmmm...

"Barack the Vote" or vote the politically ill-prepared machine! "Ready on Day one [to obliterate your bank accounts!]"

April 25, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. dwho

The Clintons have a long record of using people to get their aims accomplish. A long record of lying about something that did not happen in Bosnia. A long record spin, spin, spin and spins.

April 25, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Talks cheap.
    But McCain doesn't offer action–unless he really intends to exert some. Big difference.

April 25, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. HD

Well, did you hear accent change to southern drawl?

She is after all a southerner...wait, no, I mean she is after all a Pennsylvanian...wait, no, I mean she is from New York...wait, no, I mean she is from the South...wait, no, I mean she feels your pain because she is one of you – and to prove it her accent changes with every part of the country she gives her speeches.

I am not kidding...do a google search for hillarys accent changes. It is a hoot.

I am not sure if they are just that dumb and do not realize Americans are capable of using the internet and watching youtube.

Anyway, here she blows again...ya' all....twang....

April 25, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. Jackie, Dallas TX

What exactly does Hillary have to show for her better record of fighting to rebuild the Hurricane-ravaged region? I was not aware of any significant progress attributatable to her. Can someone please enlighten me?

April 25, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. carrie

the more i see and hear about hillar,the more convinced i am that she is losing it bit by bit.
    i am a psychologist,and i can read the signs.she has deluded herself into believing the stories she makes up in her head.
    a possible sign of schizophrenia.

April 25, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. Voter4 Change

Yes, Hillary is not true to her word.! Hillary broke a verbal agreement with the DNC and will continue to break the DNC because she will not let Obama have his thirty something states voters count OUT HILLARY!

Big States ACCORDING to HILLARY matter more than the SMALL STATES and the media started the NEGATIVE SMEAR about the word bitter taken out of context!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  19. Hillary Rodham

"Hi, I'm Hillary Clinton, and everyone else sucks!"

April 25, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. Emit

Why is it, that everytime Hillary now says, "I went to ", the first thing that pops into my mind is:

Prove It!

Second thought is: WHO CARES!!!

Will be glad with November roles around and we don't have to listen to her daily lies, mis-speaks, and fabracations. Oops, I mean, the truth as she remembers it. Well, today anyway........

April 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Jackie, Dallas TX

Oops! That's attributable.

April 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  22. Ilona Proud Canadian

Brian (in PA)

With only two comments re: Indiana and North Carolina, cnn for whatever reason decided to close comments, therefore, I am trying to respond to your comment (#2). All candidates were told by the Democratic Committee leaders, to pull their names from the ballots in Michigan why? because they (MI) were holding their primary ahead of their scheduled turn and as such their votes would not be counted. These were specific rules! Everyone else followed the rules except Sen. Clinton. Your comment has really opened my eyes as to why the folks in PA voted for Hillary, either you were all bamboozled by her, or you just don't do your homework. I cannot believe that Pennsylvanians really think as you do.

April 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Tejano

That's it if you don't agree with someone tear down his proposals without putting forth one of your own.

That is why you are both losers. The Democrats don't have a clue as to what america wants or believes in. They are stuck in the past, still fighting civil rights and being protectionists.

Democrats, this is 2008, we are a World Power, We are the only ones that stand for Liberty and Freedom. We are the future of the world. So get your heads out of the sand and start promoting our country instead of tearing it down.

April 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. Kandice

Better records rebuilding!!!
    There is no rebuilding yet and peolpe are still living in trailors...
    Is this another sniper fire?

April 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. real dem

I appreciate Senator Clinton for attacking her true enemy- John McCain.

As far as any of you disappointed Clinton supporters who say they will vote for McCain if Clinton does not make it, remember that McCain voted to kick the Clintons out of the White House in 1999 because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

He also reportedly joked about Chelsea Clinton being ugly at a GOP fundraiser.

April 25, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |