April 25th, 2008

Clinton touts commander-in-chief credentials

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina (CNN) - Hillary Clinton touted her commander-in-chief credentials across North Carolina Thursday, again bringing along a delegation of retired military officers to testify on her behalf.

"If she has to pull the trigger, General Shelton and I know she'll pull it," Brigadier General John Watkins told a boisterous crowd in Asheville, a liberal enclave in more conservative western North Carolina.

Native Tar Heel and former Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Hugh Shelton made his debut campaign appearance on behalf of Clinton saying he had a "deep and abiding concern" for members of the military.

"Few members of Congress can claim a better record on behalf of those who serve our country," Shelton said, as he stood in front of a 'Solutions for a Strong Military' banner. "Senator Clinton is the only candidate in the running for president of the United States that has the wherewithal and the leadership ability to carry America back to its rightful place."

Clinton started her day in Fayetteville, right in the shadow of Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base. A caravan of veterans will spend the days leading up to the May 6 primary traveling the state talking in VFW halls about Clinton's plans to increase benefits and access to health care for veterans and easing hardship on military families, issues that dominated the senator's question and answer session in Fayetteville.

While the focus of the day was on all issues military, politics was just under the surface. Clinton called herself the "underdog" in the North Carolina contest and said her "opponent" should agree to a debate here.

"I'll debate anytime anywhere. Look, I'm so sleep-deprived it doesn't matter, anytime, anywhere I'll show up," she said. "This is going to be a hard fought election here in North Carolina. I know that I'm starting off behind. I get it. But I'm still going to work as hard as I can to reach as many voters as I can."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. It Requires Honesty

Hillary Clinton is not ready to meet the most basic standards of honesty, and therefore she is not ready to be Commander-in-Chief.

April 25, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. Franky

Really??? Well then, she should also be blame for approving the war, I mean, if she has "credentials", then last time I checked, her credentials gave us the wrong path in our country....

April 25, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Concerned Democrat

Silly Hillary is trying to climb a rope soaked with grease.
    Some people just need to know when to call it quits!

Numbers don't lie !!!

A experienced person would know that.

Democrat's 08

April 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Dan-Groveland

Of course Hillary will pull the trigger! That's the problem you idiots!
    Who wants a President with her finger on the big button? And I believe her antaganistic personality is just what we "don't" need!

April 25, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Rich

Obama has been in elected office (Illinois State Senate and National Senate) for what 11 year? And Clinton has been in for 7 years?

Being "ready" to "obliterate" the nation of Iran doesn't make her presidential, it removes my last objection to voting for "Bomb bomb bomb Iran" McCain. His "joke" seems tame in comparison.

It is absolutely ridiculous to criticize Obama for wanting to have diplomatic relations with our "enemies." The argument usually boils down to "Obama JUST wants to talk," which is utter BS. He's always saying that he'd "keep all option on the table" including using force.

April 25, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |