April 25th, 2008

Huckabee: 'Presumptuous' to assume Obama agrees with Wright

Huckabee and McCain spoke with reporters Friday on the Straight Talk Express.
Huckabee and McCain spoke with reporters Friday on the Straight Talk Express.

(CNN) – Mike Huckabee, a former contender for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination, said it would be “a little bit presumptuous to ever assume” that a congregant agrees with everything a pastor says.

“Influential? Sure. Necessarily transferable? Usually not,” Huckabee told a reporter while speaking with the press aboard Sen. John McCain’s campaign bus, the Straight Talk Express.

Huckabee, who was a Baptist pastor before eventually becoming Arkansas’s governor, is campaigning with McCain in Little Rock Friday. The former rivals maintained a cordial relationship before Huckabee ended his presidential bid leaving McCain as the GOP’s presumptive nominee.

Related: Huckabee and McCain do the rounds

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. cj

His insight is enlightened. Finally, someone in the campaign not being critical of another.

April 25, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. GG

I think it's true!! that both Huckabee and Mc Cain are compaigning for Hillary now.

April 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. patrick b

I like huckabee, but I don't want him running our government. He seems like a reasonable, "old-style" republican (the ones who had an ounce of integrity).

April 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  4. Amw

I always knew Huckabee was a good republican.

April 25, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. bdc

Take it from the horse's mouth – not everyone agrees with their pastor. Incredible integrity/honesty from Huckabee.. really nice.

A CHURCH is MORE than the guy that gives the sermon.

April 25, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. Diing, Washinton

Thanks mr. Huck!

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Uncle Sam

Whew, Sen. Obama was only influenced by Rev. Wright.

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. tom, Boston

huck is a good man, if not the cleverest politician.

April 25, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. clear thinking

Playing for the VP-ship!
    I thought we were done with Chuckaby?
    Guess not, he wants his remaining 13 minutes of fame.

April 25, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Ex Clinton Supporter

I always had respect for Huckabee. He's a good man even if he's a republican.....

April 25, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Michael

Thank you Huckabee for speaking some sense, it's nice to see a politician that has some common sense, too bad the Republicans nominated McCain.

April 25, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. JD

Even though I'm pretty far from being a Republican, I really respect Huckabee for his honesty and for just being an all around good guy.

April 25, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. that should do it

If Huck defends you... that should be the kiss of death to any democrat.

Huck was too much for even the republicans to stomach.

April 25, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Andrew, Chicago

The discussions on CNN. com have become absolutely juvenile, regardless of what candidate is being supported. I just can't believe all the name calling.

April 25, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. kiss of death

Great, I loved Huck...
    Now I can vote for Obama.
    Right...

April 25, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Richard

Huckabee was our governor here in Arkansas. While I'm a democrat who supports Obama, I have to say he was a much better governor than Bill Clinton ever was. Clinton left our state almost bankrupt. Huckabee left us with a $1 BILLION dollar surplus!!!!

April 25, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Phong Nguyen

Wasn't it the "influential" thing that we are concerning about???

April 25, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Julie MN

I hit the submit , anyway to finish, benefit the AMERICAN POPULATION

April 25, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Darth Vadik, CA

Everybody knows this is true, but its an excuse for people who hate Obama for different reason pretend that they are insulted.

wink wink nudge nudge

April 25, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. Young Voter

Thank you Mr. Hukabee.

April 25, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  21. ShirleyY - Seattle

Agree, I am only responsible for myself not anyone else. You Obama haters, stop it, he will be our next president.

April 25, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  22. NickNas

Careful Huck. These people can go REAL hard on you for helping Obama. You are right and I applaude you for it though. This country needs more like you.

April 25, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Allan

Once again, Huckabee demonstrates how people with good manners and an open mind behave.

No wonder he couldn't win the Republican nomination.

April 25, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. NancyL in TN

A voice of sanity and reason! A man of character when it would be way too easy – and probably safer – to stay silent. We've not seen the last of this conciliator!

April 25, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. Juniorekins

Mike Huckabee is a very good man.

April 25, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |