April 25th, 2008

McCain and Huckabee Little Rocking It Out

McCain and Huckabee maintained a mostly-friendly relationship on the trail.
McCain and Huckabee maintained a mostly-friendly relationship on the trail.

(CNN) – John McCain, on the last leg of a week-long tour of economically struggling areas throughout the country, is in Mike Huckabee’s home town of Little Rock, Arkansas, Friday campaigning alongside his former rival.

The former Baptist minister dropped out of the GOP presidential primary race on March 4, after McCain swept contests in Texas, Ohio, Vermont and Rhode Island, giving the Arizona senator the delegates needed to claim the party's nomination in September.

The duo will visit a fundraiser, a barbecue joint, and a Baptist college event, and hold a media availability together.

Political pundits have long placed the former Arkansas governor on McCain’s likely vice presidential short list, and today’s stop is likely to fuel still more speculation.

Huckabee still harbors presidential hopes of his own – he recently said he would consider another White House run in 2012, depending on the circumstances. On Thursday, the Associated Press reported that he will publish a book two weeks after the November general election, detailing his failed run for the White House and his views on the future of the Republican Party. Last week, the former governor launched HuckPAC, a political action committee that will promote those views and financially support candidates who share them.

Thursday night in Baton Rouge, McCain continued his criticism of the Bush administration over its handling of Hurricane Katrina, dubbing its response to the storm “a series of failures that shook of the confidence of Americans in their government as much as any event in recent memory” and telling a group of business leaders that “the incompetence of leadership didn't end with the rescue efforts.”

“With many thousands of lives in the balance, across 90,000 square miles of misery, there was a failure of foresight, a failure of planning, a failure in execution and a failure in follow-up,” he said, praising the state’s new governor, Bobby Jindal, for sharing that assessment. Jindal has also been mentioned as a likely entry on the presumptive Republican nominee’s vice presidential short list.

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Aces full of Kings

Don't be surprised if you see Hillary jumping aboard John McCain's campaign after she gets cast out of the Democratic Convention. She will claim that she is bringing unity and balance to the Republican ticket.

April 25, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. Barbara, OR

Fox News is the most racist media on television. The producers must have been raised in Johannesburg , or at least Sean Hannity. And Fox White Friends is the dumbest show, with Steve Dishrag. He sits on a sofa with a plastic man and woman, who repeat how much they hate Barack 24/7. Idiots.

It saddens me that Barack would appear on their show because he doesn't need to–we know they're low life. Fox's ratings have gone up since they started bashing Barack and they will continue to do it.

It is a horrible mistake for Barack to give Fox credibility. I change the channel every chance I get. This weekend they will run the Rev. Wright tape 24/7 and why Barack is lowering himself to such idiots I don't know.

I'm still voting for him, but Fox News is fascist.

April 25, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. Michigan

Okay. If Hillary were the nominee, I would vote for Ayers.

April 25, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Emily, CT

If the media continues to bash Barack, I think his supporters should boycott. We know we have to vote for him and continue to support him, we don't need the pundits talking about how horrible he was for OMG going to church for 20 years. Some people would say that's a good thing, but not in this election. If you're going to church to hear the word of God, you are all of a sudden a horrible person.

I'm over the media, and I'm moving on to other things to do. I'm certainly not going to waste my time while they bash my candidate and his pastor of all people.

Signing off, until November.

April 25, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. ART in TX

The DEMOCRATS can learn from the REPUBLICANS in this area. They are unified. Even after defeat...both Romney and Huckabee continue to campaign for McSame. No matter their reasons, this is how it should be. I hope the dems can get it together before Nov.

April 25, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Dirk

Johnny C, there is no way you are black. LOL

An inbred from the McCain camp to fool us. Stop trolling, and get a life. LOL

April 25, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Drew, NY

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wake me up when Obama wins.

Obama 08

April 25, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Chewbacca

I wouldn't mind seeing Ron Paul in office.

Ron Paul is the only candidate for REAL CHANGE in government.

April 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Max, OK

Everyone knows that women have better communication skills than men. Not in giving speeches, but in engaging one on one. Women can argue better, and that's a fact. So I'm not impressed with Hillary in these debates, she's a low-life who's trying to take advantage of her talking skills.

I on the other hand am more interested in the person who wants to make a difference for America. I'm with Barack Obama, and if there is a God in heaven (which there is) he will win. The GOP and the Clintons are not bigger than God. Barack will win, make no mistake about it. He will make this country proud, and will help us to start solving some real problems.

Hillary or McCain in the WH with the power of the presidency will do one of two things–send us straight into another war with Iran, or lie about all of the promises that she will not keep. After GW, I've had just about enough.

Obama 08
    Send him a small check and make a difference in our country.

April 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Kelly, IN

Of course the elderly and the uneducated will never vote for a black, that's to be expected. But people who are educated are accustomed to minorities in leadership positions. They have had minority professors, etc. I hope our country is not dictated by people who don't know any better, and will vote for Hillary out of fear, more than anything else. I just don't understand why anyone who has admitted to lying.

Barack is about to be bombarded with the most racist attacks this country will ever see, and some of it will work, but I hope not. I hope America has grown up and will see through the racial politics. It's time to take our country back, in spite of the distractions that we are about to witness. Keep strong America; don't allow the GOP, and the Clintons to make you lose sight of what's really important.

Vote for the truth, vote for Barack.

April 25, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. INDY PENDENT

It will never happen but in case John McCain makes a poor choice and chooses Chuckabee for his VP mate this wil force my Vote to either a Dem or 3rd Party Candidate.

April 25, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Bubba

Yeah, I'm suddenly black too, and I'm suddenly gonna vote for McCain 'cause he gots mad skilz wit da economy. Huck be his dogg, yo. I'm really black, y'all. Word.

In the picture they look like the latest rap duo: Gnarled Huckley.

April 25, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. Indiana U

I think that Mike Huckabee would be a really great vice presidential candidate for McCain. He is the total opposite of McCain and he is a very nice and popular guy. If anybody on this site is saying, "Who cares!", you must be an Obama supporter because you guys feel like you are entitled to the throne or something. Anyway, if Mike Huckabee is on the ticket, I will be voting republican this fall.

April 25, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. David

wow, I could not vote for a ticket with these two on it and have a clear conscience. any vote for that ticket is a vote to destroy this country. not that the Dems are any better. they are destrying this country at a faster pace. too bad the GOP has been hijacked by the neo-cons. these are not true GOP candidates. just sayin.

April 25, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. Phil

Has anyone noticed that the economy was doing fine and gas prices were relatively reasonable until the Democrats took control of Congress in Jan. 2007?

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. David

Newlife- while it is true that some politicians that are in the oil biz are getting rich, let's not forget the dire condition the country's infrastructure is in, including our oil refineries. and remember, every time someone wants to build a new refinery or add to one, environmentalists shoot it down. so there goes some of the blame on this pathetic issue.

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

A preacher and a crook, what a combination.

April 25, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Tony, NC

McCain is going to choose an independent and beat the pants of Obama in November.

Like John's Mother said, conservative Republicans will hold their noses and pull his level over a liberal Jr Senators, anyday..., me included.

April 25, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Does McCain play an instrument? I know he can't sing or dance.

Perhaps they could jam together on SNL.

April 25, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

I'm an Obama backer and not a big fan of Hillary, but regardless of who wins the dem nomination... All of you "democrats" threatening to vote for McCain are completely nuts!!! Why did you choose to vote democrat in the first place? It makes no sense. I agree that this race for a dem is out of hand, but by voting republican you're basically inviting another 4 or more years of what has eroded our great nation in the past 7 years! Think about what you're doing! And a write in of someone not on the ticket would produce the same results. DEMS, I BEG OF YOU: PLEASE DO NOT VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!!! iT WOULD CONTINUE TO DESTROY THE ECONOMY AND CONTINUE THIS FOOLISH WAR IN IRAQ. Please let reason prevail.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Ken

Oh, some of these posts are just precious. This Huckabee really brings out the crazies. I really like the one about "blacks for McCain". At least this proves stupidity isn't racial! Your little group can get its by-laws from another small, ineffective and mis-guided group: jews for hitler.

Yes people, by all means, lets's convince ourselves and others to make the same old mistake a THIRD TIME! What level of stupidity or retardation would lead a child, who has recently burnt his hand on a hot stove (2000), to reach up and burn it again (2004), and then find excuses to attempt to try it yet again (2008)? What kind of anti-social, self-destructive, delusional moron would celebrate this kind of behavior?

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Tom,des moines

I THINK McCAIN/ROMNEY IT WOULD BE HARD TO BEAT IN THE GE. ROMNEY WILL WIN IN NV,UT,CO,MI AND OH FOR McCAIN FOR SURE. I GUESS YOU CAN SAY PRESIDENT McCAIN FOR 4 MORE YRS FOR SURE.

April 25, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |