April 25th, 2008

McCain: 'It's very clear who Hamas wants' in the White House

McCain said Friday Hamas wants Obama to be elected president.
McCain said Friday Hamas wants Obama to be elected president.

(CNN) - John McCain said Friday that “it’s clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States” - the second time in as many weeks that his campaign has referenced positive remarks by Ahmed Yousef, a member of that group, about Barack Obama.

On Friday, the presumptive Republican nominee was asked about the Hamas leader’s comments on a campaign conference call with bloggers.

“…I think it's very clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States,” said McCain. “So apparently has [Sandinista leader] Danny Ortega and several others. I think that people should understand that I will be Hamas's worst nightmare...If Senator Obama is favored by Hamas I think people can make judgments accordingly.”

A week ago, the Arizona senator’s campaign sent supporters a fundraising e-mail that said Hamas approved of Obama’s foreign policy vision, and is hoping for his victory this fall.

The Obama campaign condemned the remark. "We want to take Senator McCain at his word that he wants to run a respectful campaign, but that is becoming increasingly difficult when he continually tries to use the politics of association and makes claims he knows not to be true to advance his campaign," said Obama campaign spokesman, Hari Sevugan.

"This type of politics of division and distraction, not only lead to a campaign not worthy of the American people, but also has failed to help our families for too long."

McCain adviser Steve Schmidt told CNN's Dana Bash that the Hamas view was "a fair issue for the American people to ponder should he be the Democratic nominee for president."

“Hamas has said they want Barack Obama to win. The reason for that is his policy. He wants to negotiate with the terrorist-funding, nuclear-aspiring, holocaust-denying, Israel-threatening dictator of Iran.

“This election is being watched all around the world. The Hamas spokesman made his comments because of his [Obama’s] policy pronouncements.”

McCain himself told reporters Friday afternoon that the Hamas nod was "just a fact."

Hamas, apparently their North American spokesperson is endorsing Senator Obama. People can make their own judgment from that. I don't view that as anything but a statement of fact. If that.... is wrong, that the North American spokesman of Hamas has not endorsed Senator Obama, I'd be happy to retract my statement, and I hope there'll be corrections in the media that state otherwise."

(UPDATED with campaign, McCain response)

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Audrey from Canada

It isn't just Hamas – it's the rest of the World too.

April 25, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. BAKERSFIELD

IN REVELATIONS IT HAS NO MENTION OF A COUNTRY LIKE THE U.S., I'M NOT TRYING TO CREATE FEAR BUT MAYBE TO FULFILL THE PROPHECIES IN THE BIBLE MAYBE OBAMA IS SUPPOSE TO BE PRESIDENT, SO HIS WAY OF OPENNESS TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT WOULD LIKE TO DESTROY US, CAN CREATE A SITUATION WHERE WE WILL BE DESTROYED I DON'T REALLY CARE I EMBRACE HEAVEN AND AM WAITING TO GO.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. Trollmaster

More fearmongering from the GOP. This sort of thing shows that McCain is just like Bush. McCain has nothing to offer America, this is why he's stooping so low.

Real Americans won't let Hamas dictate how they vote either way, we'll vote based on which canidate would make a better leader.

If some skinhead Nazi idiot says he likes McCain, does that mean we should instantly vote for Obama? The answer would be yes according to GOP "thinking".

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. Mohammad, LA CA

I'm donating $150 to Obama just because of this.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Christine

Hillary – don't give up. You will get the nomination.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Steve

CB in Florida and other Obama supporters,
    Hamas doesn't support someone for no reason. It should cause us to pause don't you think? Devotion to a candidate is understandable, but not if it causes us to turn a blind eye to potential problems with the candidate. Being supported by a terrorist group is not something to be proud of.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. NC FOR OBAMA

MCCAIN'T HAS NOTHING TO OFFER BUT FEARMONGERING!!!! WE'RE MORE AFRAID OF YOUR TEMPER THAN HAMAS.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Dennis in Spokane

Not just Hamas but the rest of the world wants a change from the foreign policy disasters that marked the Bush/Clinton era. After the lies about WMDs, the failed world economies linked to predatory energy policies and hedge fund market manipulations and overall fear mongering, who can blame the world for being anti-Bush or McClinton? My European and Canadian clients are all rooting for Obama.

April 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. Lisa

McCain is NOT gonna manipulate me into voting for him. Does he actually think I give a crap about who Hamas wants??? I am gonna vote for who I want to vote for and if I let Hamas determine my vote by what they say then they have control over me and this election. Hamas WILL NOT have control over my vote. If people do not vote for Obama for this reason then Hamas has control over them. Scary
    I was going to vote for McCain if Obama didn't get the nomination but now I AM NOT going to because he is using dirty tactics just like Hillary. They both make me SICK!

April 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. history repeats

the sad thing is that people will actually put credit to what mccain is saying. regardless of the fact thAT ALL hamas i; is an organization, actually a political party that doesnt like us. They are no threat to us at all we have the most powerful military in the world WHY do we care about HAMAS preference on our PRESIDENT?? its not like obama is going to work with HAMAS and plan to take over the world. WHY IS THE PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY SO NAIVE!?!?!? has anyone ever checked out the boards at foxnews??? my god these people are still harping on obamas flag pin!!!!! its crazy

April 25, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. Monte Brown

I agree, and if Obama is the nominee, McCain will be president. Go with Hillary.

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Lisa

Also, it is very clear who McCain DOES NOT want to run against in the general election.

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. TAD

WE NEED SOMEONE WHO BRING SOLUTION ABOUT THE ECONOME; HAMAS IS NOT OUR PRIORITY TO DISCUSE.

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Maggie VT

I can't imagine what McCain is thinking. Obama said he would not talk to Hama. He said Carter was wrong for going there. McCain says he wants to run a "clean" campaign??? HMMMMM> wonder why him and Hillary are taking Obama on. If you listen to her words, they are the same as McCains. If you lister to McCain's words, they are the same as Hillarys. HMMMM

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. w.l. jones

At least he is not against fighting for this country and not sitting down playing hero in prison. When I were young I remember every thing now I have to have aides by my side to inform me of basic security matter.It time to pack up and move out to a sunny desert retreat,

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. mjaber

Mcain is trying to scare up votes as ussual. That Mcains job, reaching the white house. He will do anything to make Obama look bad. As for Hamas, i don't see anything wrong with wanting its land back. If someone stole your land, wouldn't you do something about it. (Look. CNN won't list my comment!)

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. Jesse

'It's very clear who Klansmen wants' in the White House

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. ladybmore

John Mccain is our worst nightmare. He Should never throw sticks and stones at anyone. I"m glad he served our country very well and sorry he was held as a prisoner of war. But his logic for us staying in the war is because he's bitter , angry and still harbor those nightmares. So he wants to stay in the war, he has crudges to settle. I just don't understand why our young, men and women have to pay for his bitterness. He has a point to prove to himself with Iraq, iran, hamas and other countries of war. so he has to blame somebody to justify the means for war. And because Obama is open for dialog with our rivals and want change Mccain does not. Mccain he eat, sleeps about war. That why he knows nothing about our economy

April 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. toch from germany

WHY DON, YOU GUY,S ASK THAT OLD MAN WHAT HE WANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO BE IF HE FOLLOW THE FOOT STEP OF HIS YOUNG FATHER MACBUSH AND THE WHOLW WORLD CAN NOT TO BED AT PEACE ONLY BECAUSE OF SELF INTEREST: THEY HAVE,HERE IN GERMANY WANT A WORLD LEADER THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD BE PROUD OF AND NOT ANOTHERE MACBUSH OR HRC AND SO ON SO ASK THE REST OF THE WORLD OK:
    I HOPE CNN WILL LET THIS COME ONLINE : WHO CARE,S THANKS AND NO THANKS

April 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Kristian

Hamas has been elected by the people of the Palestinian territories, regardless of whether one agrees with their policies. One must recognize them as elected representatives of the people of the Palestinian territories. This is not the way to bring about peace in Israel which has been long overdue.

April 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |