April 25th, 2008

McCain: 'It's very clear who Hamas wants' in the White House

McCain said Friday Hamas wants Obama to be elected president.
McCain said Friday Hamas wants Obama to be elected president.

(CNN) - John McCain said Friday that “it’s clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States” - the second time in as many weeks that his campaign has referenced positive remarks by Ahmed Yousef, a member of that group, about Barack Obama.

On Friday, the presumptive Republican nominee was asked about the Hamas leader’s comments on a campaign conference call with bloggers.

“…I think it's very clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States,” said McCain. “So apparently has [Sandinista leader] Danny Ortega and several others. I think that people should understand that I will be Hamas's worst nightmare...If Senator Obama is favored by Hamas I think people can make judgments accordingly.”

A week ago, the Arizona senator’s campaign sent supporters a fundraising e-mail that said Hamas approved of Obama’s foreign policy vision, and is hoping for his victory this fall.

The Obama campaign condemned the remark. "We want to take Senator McCain at his word that he wants to run a respectful campaign, but that is becoming increasingly difficult when he continually tries to use the politics of association and makes claims he knows not to be true to advance his campaign," said Obama campaign spokesman, Hari Sevugan.

"This type of politics of division and distraction, not only lead to a campaign not worthy of the American people, but also has failed to help our families for too long."

McCain adviser Steve Schmidt told CNN's Dana Bash that the Hamas view was "a fair issue for the American people to ponder should he be the Democratic nominee for president."

“Hamas has said they want Barack Obama to win. The reason for that is his policy. He wants to negotiate with the terrorist-funding, nuclear-aspiring, holocaust-denying, Israel-threatening dictator of Iran.

“This election is being watched all around the world. The Hamas spokesman made his comments because of his [Obama’s] policy pronouncements.”

McCain himself told reporters Friday afternoon that the Hamas nod was "just a fact."

Hamas, apparently their North American spokesperson is endorsing Senator Obama. People can make their own judgment from that. I don't view that as anything but a statement of fact. If that.... is wrong, that the North American spokesman of Hamas has not endorsed Senator Obama, I'd be happy to retract my statement, and I hope there'll be corrections in the media that state otherwise."

(UPDATED with campaign, McCain response)

Filed under: John McCain
  1. ART in TX

Excellent. So when the dems crush McSame in the fall, we'll not have to worry about respectable campaigns.

April 25, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Marshall in Nebraska

Oh Give me a Break!

April 25, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. clear thinking

Give me a break! OK, so this guy is stupid!

April 25, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Edgar - Orlando, Florida

Oour enemies can't defeat us if we have a Clinton or McCain in the White House, but if we have Obama, Kerry, Kennedy, and Pelosi – America watch out – put America safety first – pleaseeeee

April 25, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Luis

McCain is right and watch how quickly the Liberals, media, and blacks play the race card. As this process nears completion, the American people will know much more about Obama than they care to and the choice will be clear......vote McCain or join the insane.

April 25, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. Grif

I do fully Agree... None so Blind.

April 25, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. christi

CNN, why don't you ask McCain about his views on North Korea, ask him if he thinks that women who have the same amount of education and training as a man should continue to be paid less, or anything on the IRAQ war.

April 25, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Ryan kr

Fearmongering....who cares. It will not work this time....

Obama 08...............................................................Obama2012

April 25, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  9. Grif

I Agree...... I Agree..........

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Michael from Seattle

I guess he's got to say something to get in the news...

I've never undrestood the argument that if someone "bad" likes you then that also makes you bad. Plenty of people in prisons love Jesus but that doesn't mean we need to crucify him.... oh wait....

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Barry

Are you serious?! How does his campaign get away with this? This is worse than the North Carolina ad about Obama and Rev. Wright. I think this demonstrates how afraid the Republicans are of Obama....to stoop so low so early...

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. Dan in CO

McCain is my second choice after Obama, but he must want to fall to third, because he's saying some stupid stuff.

If party X endorses me, that doesn't suddenly make me equivalent to party X.

Getting Hagee's endorsement didn't make you as wretched as him, John.

Now shut up and quit being duplicitous.

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. Ben

Fear-monger.

Warmonger.

Not who I want as the next President.

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. wolfsbane

McCain rolls out the politics of fear. Fear, people, it's why we ended up in Iraq. It's why we reelected Bush. It's why this country has forgotten its principles. No elections should be based on fear.

Bill Clinton said it best, back in 2004, "Now, one of Clinton’s laws of politics is this. If one candidate is trying to scare you and the other one is try get you to think, if one candidate is appealing to your fears and the other one is appealing to your hopes, you better vote for the person who wants you to think and hope."

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. cnn rocks

mccain is pathetic,he just lost my vote

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. honkey white guy from cali

Yea I think most world leaders what Obama in the White House! America is becoming known as the dictators of the world! We have no right to be running around the globe dictating to anyone! yet Bush and his successor so he thinks have the same view and vision of the world! We have to start coming together and focusing more on diplomacy and less on war and fighting to survive. This country rich as it may be can not afford to keep this going on.

Go Obama 08 Yes We can!!

April 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  17. BTHogan

I'm sure the Fatah Party will be pleased to hear this. Any positions on AMERICAN political issues?

April 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Corey, Maryland

McSame......stop talking. Im tired of the Republican fear tactics. So maybe with Obama we elect a president that other people in the world respect, and would like to work with.... well thats a stupid idea. Working with other countries....how silly of me to say. Lets just bomb them all like your strategy, does that sound good McSame? Give me a break!

Obama Richardson 08!!!!!

April 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. An Agnostic Democrat

O.K. Grandpa McSame go down in the basement and come put when you have something intelligent to say. Oh, that's right! You're running for a third Bush term so why should we expect anything different than the fear card?

Your current huugy-boy in chief has done more to increase the ranks of terrorism than at anytime in history so keep your foul mouth shut!

April 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Debbie, NJ

Yeah, you'll start another personal war and get even more Americans killed.

April 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. 4Hillary

HUGO CHAVEZ will soon ENDORSE OBlahma too!

I believe that's the REAL reason of why Bill "Judas" Richardson will travel there soon!

"Why can't I just eat my Waffle?" Oblama said when he answered the phone at 3AM! LOL!!

April 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. Bruce, Lafayette

Finally, something that Hamas and Americans have in common. No warmongers at the helm.

This guy needs to get a grip. By the way John, don't call me your "friend". You're no friend of mine.

April 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. Mk

Thats progress, now if John McCain can just figure out that it also very clear who we DON"T WANT in the White House he will have gotten the message.

April 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Woman for Obama in OKC

II think McCain is afraid of losing to Obama. Why else would be resort to such evil tactics. Next thing he is going to say is that Obama is a fellow muslim.

April 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. Dave

It's not just Hamas...It's pretty darn clear who the entire WORLD would rather have as president, and it's definitely NOT John McCain.

April 25, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |