April 25th, 2008

Obama campaign makes general election plans

(CNN) – In the wake of his Pennsylvania loss, Barack Obama’s campaign has revealed two major steps towards a general election operation – both usually undertaken by presumptive presidential nominees.

On Friday, the campaign officially announced an ambitious, 50-state voter registration program designed to boost Democratic registration – already reaching record levels in many states – with an eye towards November.

On the conference call discussing the effort, Deputy Campaign Manager Steve Hildebrand confirmed a report on The Page that the Obama team had entered into a joint fundraising operation with the Democratic National Committee.

The DNC could use the help. In a year when most Democratic campaign committees are vastly out-raising their Republican counterparts, the DNC – which had a little more than $5 million cash on hand, according to its most recently filed Federal Elections Commission report – is lagging far behind a cash-rich Republican National Committee’s $31 million war chest.

John McCain has launched a similar fundraising partnership with the RNC – but it did not debut until after he became the presumptive GOP nominee.

Hildebrand also said that Hillary Clinton’s campaign had held similar discussions with the national party, although the two sides had yet to come to an agreement.

“It is something that we are moving forward with and as we understand it the D.N.C. has initiated those conversations with the Clinton campaign as well.”

Joint committees are usually formed after there is a de facto nominee. In contrast to the strict fundraising limits imposed on the candidates, parties are able to raise more than 10 times as much – allowing them to assume some election-related activities and costs that would otherwise be undertaken by the campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Farren Ballanst

McCain is a lowlife sleazeball. Anyone who who vote for him is an idiot.

Anyone-but-McKeating '08

April 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Tiffany

This is exactly the direction the Obama team needs to be going.

Please explaine to me how HRC can win? My calculator is not adding it up. If she wins, it will only be becasue she played dirty closed door politics, and it will leave a divide in the Dem party and will alienate the groves of newly registered voters, not to mention regular people like me who have followed from the beginning and watched HRC's dirty tactics. HRC is like the Tonya Harding of the presidential candidates this year.

Tiff from ILLINOIS

April 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. TJ ARO

I dont think all HRC supporters understand what is going on.. She can never be the nominee, the Super Delegate knows, GOP know, and HRC knows herself too. She just has a big ego, and the fact that the media kept saying the clitons to lose. Accept this and wait for the next election after Obama completes his good work in his first term. Obama good job for the forward thinking

** for HRC supporter that wont vote for Obama, you better have a second thought, cos this is the only option you have to get the country out from the mess she is in..

April 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Drew

Also the DNC would like to RAISE money.

Not lose it all, hence not partnered up with HRC's campaign.

HRC's recent attempt at getting money in smaller amounts is "elitist" thinking. She ignored the common man for too long.

In a time of resession (not aided by NAFTA, or the war she voted for after not looking over the reports, her own admission), people have less money to give.

But Obama's campaign is on pace to recieve 1.5 million individual donors before May 6. In a time when people have little spare money, they are giving it to a candidate they beleive in. In not one of BO's many victory speeches, has he asked for money. It was the second line out of HRC's mouth after PA.

April 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. me

TO: Maggie,

It's hard not to be presumptions in this race when he is winning about 89% of the black vote. Sadly some people do just vote based on color. I have 3 African American co-workers that voted for him b/c: and i quote, "i like Hillary, but he is black". These are smart educated people, but they said that was there reason for voting for Obama. Now I’m not saying all people voted that way, but if you look at the stats it does make you wonder. I like both candidates, but I did my research and there are some policies I am for that one of candidates does not support so that’s how I determined my vote.

April 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Gal

Wow some people just don't get it, makes me wonder if they read the article or just the title. THEY OFFERED A DEAL TO HILLARY AS WELL....they have not came to an agreement. Talk about paranoid! No wonder people believe half the crap out there, they are only paying attention to headlines. I wonder if you say Hillary won the presidency tomorrow how many would believe it. Sad.

April 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Elizabeth M

This is my whole point, he hasn't been nominated yet and they are making plans. That is like saying, I don't care what anyone says or does, I am it, it is owed to me. He has way too much baggage, we will lose the general election. McCain has already pointed out that "Senator Obama is favored by Hamas I think people can make judgments accordingly. I would actually like more information on this one.

April 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Sally

A Hispanic Catholic Pro-Lifer, woman over 50 and unemployed having voted Republican for over 30 years now planning to vote for Obama. Excited about having Obama for President!!! YES YOU CAN!!!

April 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Rena

Diane and Sharon,

Why don't you both just spell it out loud; both of you are just racist pigs. There's nothing this man has done to make you not like him but unify this country. So it is very obvious that you both have broken homes because you nothing about unification and you live off of lies and hate. For you to connect so strongly with HIllary you all share the same trait. Who cares if you don't vote for Obama. I just hate the fact that people like you who are a bunch of racist pigs will benefit from this man and his blessings when he become President. You deserve someone like McCain who will break your finances so bad you'll be begging for God to put any color in office. Hillary don't care anything about you and know one else; this race is totally about her own selfish gain. She want win there's not enough old people for her to ride on like her husband rode on the Africian Americans in 1990. They both are LOSERS.

April 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. What's best for the country

This is a new age for politicians. Even McCain is not your average R, you have to admit. The old HRC style is not convincing the population any more. McCain + Obama is the best selection the two party system has ever given us! Let's give a big cheer for non-extremism!

April 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Call_it_like_it_is

From what I am seeing by the folks that are saying Hillary or McCain....the only conclusion I can come up with is that: YOU GUYS ARE RACISTS. There is no other reson to vote for McCain if Hillarry Loses.

OBAMA/Clinton 08

April 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Paul

He's not racist. He is experienced. He can win November. And he is the frontrunner in a primary that's running out of time for Hillary to catch up. He's right to look toward November and a run against McCain.

April 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Atlanta, GA

After serving in the U.S. Army and being deployed with all races, its very hard to come back and see how racist the country you fight and die for is. If you are a Democrat, you should fight hard for the person you feel would be the best President. But if they are beating, you should put your support behind someone with the same or close to the same views your candidate has. After reading some of the posts on here, it makes me really think about why I would give my life for someone like you. But i serve my country so they can have the freedom to say some of the dumb stuff that comes out of there mouth. I love my country. But I really think some of you don't.

April 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. The Ferm

Hold Your Emotions and Use Your Noggens!

For those who say the BO campaign is getting ahead of itself, read this article carefully. It states the DNC has had similar discussions with HRC's campaign as well (no deal reached). Do not be fooled by the article's title. If HRC was ahead, she would have already come to an agreement.

April 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. sam haffa

April 25th, 2008 3:20 pm ET

Sen. Obama = Leadership
    Sen. Obama = Vision
    Sen. Obama = Hope
    Sen. Obama = Inspiration
    Sen. Obama = Dialogue
    Sen. Obama = Dignity
    Sen. Obama = Integrity

Sen Obama = What the country needs.

Thank you Sen Clinton for your service to the country and your desire to serve us further as President, but that will not be necessary. God bless you and your campaign. You helped make Sen. Obama a stronger and tougher candidate. I know we all have you and your supporters on board now to help change the course of the last 8 years of tyranny and deception and greed for a few.

Joseph in PA

Spoken like a real gentleman Jo

April 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. mama4obama

Trisha....Sharon..

he is dismissive of Hillary's type....you know the lowballing, lying, cheating, self-serving, backstabbing, mudslinging type that will stop at nothing to get what she thinks belongs to her.

This has nothing to do with you being a woman....as much as you want that to be the case.....

April 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. REPLY to : JAN from BOCA RATON

TO: Jan from Boca Raton

April 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Sean

Finally somebody is actually doing something good for the party. We need to repair the damage after we get a nominee, hopefully this thing ends soon so we can win in '08. This really makes me move my vote to Obama because I want to get organized already, niether will close this thing out but at least Obama is close. If Hillary has her way we will be cutting each others throats until august and probabaly till Novemeber no matter who wins at the convention. We should rally around Obama very soon, Hillary has had several oppertunities to win and she failed so lets just give it to the winner already.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. Kristyn

I was a supporter of Hillary at first. She really disappoints me.I feel as though she will do anything to win ..ANYTHING. So this is more abou power for her then what is right for this country. I will support the dmocratic nominee but I do hope that it is not her. She has gotten to nasty.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  20. Cyndi from Alabama

READ THAT ARTICLE AGAIN>FUNNY HOW OBAMA BACKERS JUST DON"T GET IT. ITS IN ENGLISH.....OBAMA AND CLINTON ARE IN TALKS AND THAT MEANS BOTH.. LIKE OBAMA YOU WANIT TO BE WHAT YOU WANT IT TO BE.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Deb, IN

There's one problem with this 50 State voter registration program....no wait there's two problems FL and MI. Obama has screwed himself for the General Election and I am lovin it! Obama CAN'T win the General Election without these states it's impossible.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. R.O.B.

Yeah yeah, we see how this is going. HRC is delusional. She's still going to be saying she's the best candidate for president in 2010 when Obama is in his second year as President. Hillary is Hillarious.

OBAMA '08

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. Terry Frakes

why are all of you Obama supporters so sure of yourselves? Doesnt the fact that this man has so many of our alli countries supporting him have you disturbed? Read the articles that are out there. You think he is so great because he makes you believe he isnt part of the old politics. There is absolutely nothing successful that is based on this hypocritical politician. We know nothing about him, his past debate, he was extremely nervous when asked about all the corrupt politicians, he has lied over and over and over about his involvement with these people, but yet you all seem so impressed with him. You supporters have alot of homework to do.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. Zoe

Oh my God NoBama trying to recover from his Big lost
    No way
    You should stop fooling us
    Please stop
    Go home and enjoy the weather of spring
    Stop fooling our young kids

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. Kathy

Good for you Barack, showing good leadership and Presidential character. I think Obama should debate Hillary in N.C. During the debate, he should question her on her and Bill's involvement with Peter Paul, and bring up Governor Ed Rendell's involvement as well. Explain to the American people why those who have worked in the Clinton's cabinet who still have there integrety intact keep defecting to Obama.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |