April 25th, 2008

Obama: I'm a regular guy—I only have four pairs of shoes

CNN

Watch Obama's comments at a press conference Friday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama responded to the suggestion that some view him as an elitist by pointing to his closet.

At a press conference Friday, the Illinois senator was asked about the perception some voters may have that he comes across as an elitist who "looks too much like a GQ cover" to be able to relate to working class voters.

He first gestured to his clothing choice. "I think this is a fairly standard suit here, you know?" he said. "I haven't changed my approach to dressing too much.

"I basically buy five of the same suit, and then I patch them up and wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes. Recently I've taken to getting a haircut more frequently than I used to because my mother in law makes fun of me. So I don't think people are too worried about what I'm wearing."

He added he didn't feel the need to go out of his way to prove his "street cred as a down-to-earth guy" because, according to him, people who've known him long enough know that to be the case.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Just Words

O-Waffle Man on another vacation????

Run..Run Oblama......Hope it's a one way ticket!
    Wimp!

April 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. John Gio

Did Tony Resko pick them out for him?

April 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Julie MN

Did Obamas tax returns show where he deducted the interest from all those college loans? where are returns from 1997-1999 . Also Obama went to a high end school in Indonesia, a very expensive private school in Hawaii, then on to harvard, ect . Obama knows nothing about making ends meet,

April 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. carrie,detroit

barrak obama is the ideal man for the job
    he has worked on the streets as a civil rights lawyer,fighting for those without a voice
    all hillary has been doing has been dodging sniper fire all the way from bosnia
    we will not give in to fear
    we will not give in to rumours
    we will not give in to lies
    we will not give in to pantsuits
    we will never give in to the clitons

April 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Danel

He knows how to dress well without looking cheap. That's why he looks like GQ model. If you don't have 'it" no matter how expensive your clothes doesn't matter just like putting lipstick on a pig.

April 25, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. JB in Nashville

Elitist is making college harder to obtain. Elitist is tax cuts for the rich. Elitist is wars of choice being fought by underpaid soldiers. Elitist is thinking that there's nothing wrong with $4 gas. Elitist is thinking that the markets can figure out the mortgage crisis and help American citizens on their own without regulation. So ask yourselves, who is the real elitist here?

The distraction is intentional. The issues are real. But look over here at this shiny watch. It's so pretty as it swings from right to left and from leffft to riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'm sorry, I forgot that thinking is elitist also.

April 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Miguel

If Obama is an elitist.

How many presidential candidates post Harry Truman were:
    a) Raised part of the time by a single mom of a different race who at one time needed federal aid.
    b) Raised part of the time by his grandparents who were from a different race.
    c) B in KANSAS.
    d) Travelled to other parts of the world not for pleasure but due to his mother working for a living.
    e) Received federal aid to go to college.
    f) Decided for a career as a community organizer vs. a clerk of the Supreme court.

There are no elitists in the southside of Chicago, drive through there after 10:00pm on any day of the week and tell me how many you see on the corner or at the community centers!

You may want to stay in your car!

God bless Obama, he must be a Christian, for seeing the best in people and Hope in America.

I see the negative, bigoted, racist opinions of people as nothing more than "crabs in a barrell". Some people can't stand to see people improve themselves and their lot.

Misery loves company!

April 25, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. pam Eugene OR

Portland, you are an uniformed idiot. If you would bother to research the man you would know that Obama had student loans and scholarships. It has NEVER been said he was a drug dealer or any of the other things you state. You are obviously one of the uneducated Clinton supporters.
    Obama 08

April 25, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. fr: Canada

It was a joy to read Joyce in Arkansa(who mistakenly put her husbands name) and Stacy Clarks. I am a Canadian but am watching the Primeries, and am very impressed with Barack Obama & I sure hope he is your next President as he will be good for the world.

Obama 08/12

April 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Silly Season Keeps Going

Well, if he doesn't have enough shoes, maybe the 100 million dollar club members (Hillary and McSame) can give him a loan. This is silly CNN.

Who's posting these articles, a 12 year old?

April 25, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |