April 25th, 2008

Obama: I'm a regular guy—I only have four pairs of shoes

CNN

Watch Obama's comments at a press conference Friday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama responded to the suggestion that some view him as an elitist by pointing to his closet.

At a press conference Friday, the Illinois senator was asked about the perception some voters may have that he comes across as an elitist who "looks too much like a GQ cover" to be able to relate to working class voters.

He first gestured to his clothing choice. "I think this is a fairly standard suit here, you know?" he said. "I haven't changed my approach to dressing too much.

"I basically buy five of the same suit, and then I patch them up and wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes. Recently I've taken to getting a haircut more frequently than I used to because my mother in law makes fun of me. So I don't think people are too worried about what I'm wearing."

He added he didn't feel the need to go out of his way to prove his "street cred as a down-to-earth guy" because, according to him, people who've known him long enough know that to be the case.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Antoinette

He is right

People who know him and his struggle know he doesnt have to prove anything to anybody

And even if he was GQ all the time, so what. He earned it. He earned the right to look nice and live nice because he worked HARD!!!

April 25, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Con men are self made to.

April 25, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. mama4obama

You being a regular guy sir is what is so appealing. You get what we need because you are one of us and you have what it takes to make it happen.

OBAMA 08

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. Look byond

How many rivers do he have to cross. o' BOY.

Guess, they want to see you as their Boy........

Well, they have already call you that name., A BOY, A TERRORIST, AN ELITIST.
    wE ARE NOT SURPRISE!~

LET THEM CALL YOU ALL THE NAMES IN THE BOOK.

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Getting tired of this

To "isn't it ironic" at 3:11 pm.

And this is the ultimate irony for HRC supporters:

Senator Inevitable, Senator "it'll be wrapped up by Feb 5", Senator "ignore the small states, we can win with the big ones alone" is losing!!!

Or you could choose: Senator "superdelegates needn't go with how their constituencies voted – they should go wtih who they think is best suited to be President" is about to lose because superdelegates are doing exactly that and they are coming to the conclusion that it is Obama and not her who is best suited!

lol, lol, lol

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Kristin

OH my goodness, that is so ricidulous that people are saying that Obama is an elitist and looks too much like a GQ cover! Just because he is a good looking man and dresses nice doesn't mean he is an elitist! What about all those old white Republicans who wear stuffy suits all the time, are they being criticized for what they wear? Is it simply because Obama is an African American that we are pointing out his nice attire? Would we be doing it if he was white?? I'm so sick of this kind of media coverage and politicking. All Obama wants to do is talk about the real issues the American people are concerned about, but everyone else wants to criticize the man for his choice of clothing. Come on!

April 25, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Richard

What does his wardrobe have to do with him being elitist or not?

April 25, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. Vince

Just be who you are Obama. Continue to do what you have and continue to return to the basics of what you believe even when you occasionally get baited into the petty crap. It happens to everyone and you have conducted yourself better than anyone I have ever seen. Your message of hope and change are not just lines of bull like we have heard so many times before. You are the first politician I have contributed to in my 20 years since I was old enough to vote.

April 25, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. Mike

No you are not a regular guy... you are a politician running for president!!!

April 25, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. H

WHAT A FAKE. LOVES TO PREACH HATE, HATE, HATE.

HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Sallie Mae

Lol @ street cred. Barack is too funny!

OBAMA '08

April 25, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. RealityKing

Yeah a regular guy...

Who went to Harvard, became a lawyer, makes 4 million a year, won Illionis as a Senator using the fame of his victimization preaching pastor, is running for the highest office and yet still wants us real "ordinary" Americans to think he is not an elitist.

Yeah sure.., and tell us regular JoeObama, how much did those shoes costs??

April 25, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. Obama? No!

God! Obama really makes me feel sick!

You are a "regular guy"???? haha! Make me think of "typical white people"

April 25, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Peter from Oregon

Is this supposed to be news or informative of anything of substance? Please, lets get back to the real issues, ie. the war in Iraq, weak economy, 4 dollar a gallon gas, and returning America to being a respected world leader.

Those of you making issue about Obama's dress are fueling non-issues and waisting both your and our time.

April 25, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  15. Sharon Minnesota

I've been chastising Obama supporters for being mean but I think some of that has rubbed off on the Clinton supporters.

Comon people please don't sink to their level.

April 25, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. SPQR753

I guess that any REGULAR guy would never go to the same church where a Pastor shout expletives about the white race and about America.

Any real REGULAR guy would have left that church 19.5 years ago instead of remaining there and being BRAIN WASHED.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I can't buy this ""I'm a regular guy"" kind of nonsense. Unfortunately for Barack, I need a bit more than words, nice, dreaming or honey-coated.

April 25, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Kim Johnson of Va.

We love in Va. Barack!!!! You are already a winner not just the Presidency just for being who you are...

"Obama forever"

April 25, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Farren Ballanst

McCain is a low-life.

Obama '08

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. Kyle

You do not need to have a lot of fancy clothes and an Imelda Marcos size shoe closet to be pompous.

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. Bitter and voting for Obama

And Cindy McCain wears million dollar suits and Hillary shops at Kmart, so what who cares...........We love Sanator Obama and he'll be our next president.

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Tejano

He only needs four pairs and they are all for his left foot.

Yeah right as my teenagers say. A regular guy that you can drink a beer with after work and talk about that a hole of a boss you work for.

We know what you are and what you intend to do with my country and we will not let you do it.
    Sayonarra Obama.
    Say hello to Akers, Wright and Farankhan for me. 3 regular guys.

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. trellskig

Obama never came from a filthy rich family...yes, he is a very intelligent man, but elitist? I don't think so, he has done to many good things for his community as Senator.

The silly things people come up with. Now his clothes are to expensive...sheesh, give me a break!

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. Peter

I buy five of the same suits and 4 pair of shoes, I cannot buy anymore, I need to push to race more money so beside being a good speaker I will be an elitist.

Hillary 08

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Debby

Actually Barack I am not voting for you because of how many suits, shoes or any other attire you may own. You are not experienced enough to run this country right now with all its problems.

April 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. soothsayer

Another person for fair moderation....maybe they don't like Blacks posting...as it doesn't coincide with the MSM non message.

I love Obama and am praying he gets the nomination. What is sad is that because he doesn't fit some peoples stereotype of what a black man should be he's elitist. That from McSame who's wife is worth millions and Hill and Bill also worth millions.

April 25, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |